How do you get a table for two?

We have taken 10 cruises on Royal Caribbean, Princess and Carnival and for each one have requested a table for two in advance, but we have never got one on any ship. Once onboard, we've normally been able to speak to the Maitre d' and get switched to a table for two, but sometimes this has meant changing our dining time.

Does anybody else like tables for two, and do you manage to get one by requesting it before you get on the ship or do you also have to try to switch when onboard? We usually book through a travel agent and I wondered if the cruise lines are more accommodating with these requests if you book direct?

Anything you request prior to boarding is simply a request, even if you book directly with Carnival.

You will know your dining assignment when you get your S&S card.

I always go to the dining room upon boarding to scope out my table. If it's not a two top, I see the MD at the posted time. So far, I've always been successful getting a table for two.

We've done anytime dining the last three cruises and always get a table for 2. When we go to the MDR for breakfast we usually ask for a table for 2 also and have not had a problem. Never tried with traditional dining. Just my experience.

We have taken 10 cruises on Royal Caribbean, Princess and Carnival and for each one have requested a table for two in advance, but we have never got one on any ship. Once onboard, we've normally been able to speak to the Maitre d' and get switched to a table for two, but sometimes this has meant changing our dining time.

Does anybody else like tables for two, and do you manage to get one by requesting it before you get on the ship or do you also have to try to switch when onboard? We usually book through a travel agent and I wondered if the cruise lines are more accommodating with these requests if you book direct?

I booked with a large online travel company (but called and booked over the phone) and requested a table for two when asked about dining on the Dream. Got on board, checked out our table assignment, and it was indeed for two. Just my experience, hope you find a definitive answer.

On our first cruise we requested and got a table for 2, on our second and fourth cruises we were at a table for 4 and asked for a table for 2 and always received one same dinning room and dinning time.

LOL...on pretty much every cruise we've wanted table mates to talk to and get to know, and we always get a table just for the two of us or four of us if traveling with a couple of other family members...maybe we should go request a big table and give up our two top for one of you who wants it!:D

Anything you request prior to boarding is simply a request,

even if you book directly with Carnival.

You will know your dining assignment when you get your S&S card.

Our cards proclaimed Table 651

and it turned out to be a two-seater for me and Gurl-Frend here

-without our even asking for such. :)

Wouldn't have mattered to me if we got a four-seater, though

since we get along with other folks fairly well.

Don't like those big circular eight-seaters though

-that is too many ppl to mix n match, in our experience.

You can make the request with the maitre d'. It may or may not happen. Since all seating has been assigned. The maitre d' will know of any that may be available. We have found that tables for two are vey small.

We cruised as a group last week in a 8 top and a booth for 6. I know the one couple who was seated at the booth for 6 isnt on CC so I can say it here. ... HE WAS TOO BIG. Some people need to be at a table and not at a booth. We wound up switching around and the matre d' came over and suggested putting a chair at the 8 top and one couple, the man went balistic. I requested a table for 6 to 8 with my TA. Are you crazy. No way my son is sitting in the isle. ... I was sitting between him and the maitre d' who was just trying to help. Embarassing.

Sometimes you gotta make due with what you get. I would have preferred the table by the window, but after that guy acted out, I moved to the booth for 6 with the benchs that were fixed in place.

It was the biggest dissapointment of the cruise, and since we were supposedly a group, for sure not Carnival's fault.

We just got back Saturday from the Liberty. We do anytime dining and on the three nights we ate in the dining room we asked for a table for two (not the kinds that are essentially a table for six but three tables about 12 inches away from each other) and were easily accomodated each time. We enjoy visiting with our fellow cruisers throughout the cruise but at dinner, want some time to ourselves.

We do anytime dining and get a two top, every night.

Just be aware that the dining room used for your time dining may be small or have tables crowded together and you'll be at a 2top but feel like you're at a table for 6.

We cruised as a group last week in a 8 top and a booth for 6. I know the one couple who was seated at the booth for 6 isnt on CC so I can say it here. ... HE WAS TOO BIG. Some people need to be at a table and not at a booth. We wound up switching around and the matre d' came over and suggested putting a chair at the 8 top and one couple, the man went balistic. I requested a table for 6 to 8 with my TA. Are you crazy. No way my son is sitting in the isle. ... I was sitting between him and the maitre d' who was just trying to help. Embarassing.

Sometimes you gotta make due with what you get. I would have preferred the table by the window, but after that guy acted out, I moved to the booth for 6 with the benchs that were fixed in place.

It was the biggest dissapointment of the cruise, and since we were supposedly a group, for sure not Carnival's fault.

and the guy didnt get banned for life?:D

Bill

We've done anytime dining the last three cruises and always get a table for 2. When we go to the MDR for breakfast we usually ask for a table for 2 also and have not had a problem. Never tried with traditional dining. Just my experience.

This is what we do. We've never had a problem.

Archived