iPhone on board

Cellular At Sea provides the satellite connection for cell phones on board. If I recall correctly, the fee (in addition to whatever your provider charges...) is $.05 per inbound text and $.50 per outbound text...

The fees are billed to your normal cell phone account.

:)

If I use my iPhone for texting while onboard, how do I go about it? Do I just pay ATT accordingly or do I have to do something with Carnival to make it work?

Be very careful. You need to remember that iphones (and all smartphones) constantly download data through the 3g network. Talking on the phone will cost about $2.50/minute and texts as Host Mach mentioned are either $.05 or $.50. What you really can't track are the data charges from the background downloads.

Info above regarding text message charges is accurate for AT&T, as of last month. In addition, make sure your "data roaming" is off! This will take care of the issue with data downloading - and potentially costing a small fortune.

A couple of months ago saw a guy on our local news channel who "said" he had put his I-Phone in the safe, never used it, but forgot to turn it off so it was constantly downloading aps.

He got a bill for over $2,000 and his "mommy" was on TV having a fit that "she" shouldn't have to pay it....:eek:.

This guy was 26 years old......LOL

Yeah, you can shut it down, or use airplane mode. In airplane mode you can still use it for address book, notes, games, etc. Nothing will come in or out however. I plan to do the same thing with my iPad next month.

Bob

Yeah, you can shut it down, or use airplane mode. In airplane mode you can still use it for address book, notes, games, etc.

Bob

Hi Bob, just one month left till the cruise!!! :D

Yes, I think I plan on putting my iphone in airplane mode because I use mine as my alarm clock, camera, games, etc.

Go to Settings/General/Network and turn Data Roaming off. I keep it off all the time because even at home I don't want to roam onto another network. That way you can still get calls, texts, use 3g if available (it won't be at sea as far as I know) and not pay a dime extra for data (such as browsing with Google or download email, etc). Also, keep an eye on what network your phone is connected to. Unless it's your home carrier, it'll cost extra.

Hi Bob, just one month left till the cruise!!! :D

Very true. But since we are driving back, our vacation starts in less than 3 weeks. Hopefully NOLA won't be flooded as we are hoping to spend a few days there before cruising.

Let's make this a great cruise regardless of what recent reviewers have said. The worst week on a cruise has always been better than the best week at work. Just saying.....

Bob

Does the same charge apply if i want to play an online game and check my email ? I would have to have internet access...what are those fees like?

We always purchase time in the internet cafe, just wondering if the iphone would be less.

TIA

Thanks for all the info everybody but I am still a bit confused. If I turn my data roaming off and put my phone in airplane mode, will I be able to send or receive text messages? I only want to use it for texting if I have to. You see I am taking 2 children and leaving 2 with family. I think texting is much cheaper than calling.

My cruise is at sea first 2 days and I plan not to use it at all except for the clock and my notes. On day 3, we are in Port Canaveral so I can call home to check on kids. After that if there should be something that I need to be aware of I thought texting would be best. So... if I take these steps how will I be charged?

1. Turn on Airplane Mode

2. Turn OFF Data Roaming

3. Use phone for clock, notes and texting.

Thanks for all the info everybody but I am still a bit confused. If I turn my data roaming off and put my phone in airplane mode, will I be able to send or receive text messages? I only want to use it for texting if I have to. You see I am taking 2 children and leaving 2 with family. I think texting is much cheaper than calling.

My cruise is at sea first 2 days and I plan not to use it at all except for the clock and my notes. On day 3, we are in Port Canaveral so I can call home to check on kids. After that if there should be something that I need to be aware of I thought texting would be best. So... if I take these steps how will I be charged?

1. Turn on Airplane Mode

2. Turn OFF Data Roaming

On my last two cruises i have done nothing.. except talk to my carrier about a text plan while away.. To have data you need to sign up with Carnival for it (WIFI)...

Data and text work on two different networks: Please see below for the explanation:

Text messages have been supported in mobile networks even before mobile data was standardized. Text message have been in use since 1995. Text messages use signalling channels of mobile networks in stead of data connection. Signalling channels are used for all background communication between the mobile phone and network like establishing phone call, making location updates; in addition to transferring text messages of course.

Please note that texting will not work when your phone is airplane mode as it needs a voice channel

hope that this helps

1. Turn on Airplane Mode

2. Turn OFF Data Roaming

Just make sure data roaming is turned off, that is the biggie.

Texting actually uses the "phone part" of your service so you will still be able to text.

Archived