I heard a totally unconfirmed rumor

One thing about the Oasis class is that the experience really loses something when the weather doesn't cooperate. The Caribbean really does suit these two ships.

However, do folks remember some time ago how we used to talk about how the Voyager class ships would most likely not leave the Caribbean because they do not have covered solariums and they were really designed for warm weather cruising? Now they sail out of N.J. and they regularly cross the Atlantic.

And people COMPLAIN out the wazoo about the Solarium not being covered when they cruise out of Joisey in the winter months!

They could always put snow shovels out in Central Park just in case!

I expect Oasis or Allure to eventually move to Port Canaveral but, the dry dock in Europe makes sense.

2703803990106360759S500x500Q85.jpg

A Transatlantic would be one sure way to get me booked on the Oasis, and I agree with others that it would fill up very quickly if Royal Caribbean were to put the Oasis in Europe for the summer run.

Rick

I'll book the suite next to yours, Rick, if this happens! ;)

This picture borders on being obscene!:eek:

Agreed!

This is NOT my idea of a cruise as I could do this at my own home!

Central park would not be the wonderful greenery that it is now "if" this happened, but one never knows as then this would make way for the newer ships to come to the US.............:D

A Transatlantic would be one sure way to get me booked on the Oasis, and I agree with others that it would fill up very quickly if Royal Caribbean were to put the Oasis in Europe for the summer run.

Rick

It well might but that was what they said about a Mariner around South America repositioning cruise and look how well that worked out.:D Now granted it wouldn't be as lengthy a trip but as long as the Oasis and Allure continue to be destinations unto themselves, a port intensive cruise in Europe wouldn't make much sense to me and I'm not sure that those cruises would prove much more popular than the ones they are currently doing in the "same old, same old" Caribbean ports.:) If European cruises have peaked in popularity, as some have suggested, we might more actually see a few more RCI ships redeployed back to the US or to other itineraries instead. However, it is probably a good thing for the stockholders that I am not in charge of establishing the fleet deployments.:rolleyes:

Bill

It well might but that was what they said about a Mariner around South America repositioning cruise and look how well that worked out.:D Now granted it wouldn't be as lengthy a trip but as long as the Oasis and Allure continue to be destinations unto themselves, a port intensive cruise in Europe wouldn't make much sense to me and I'm not sure that those cruises would prove much more popular than the ones they are currently doing in the "same old, same old" Caribbean ports.:) If European cruises have peaked in popularity, as some have suggested, we might more actually see a few more RCI ships redeployed back to the US or to other itineraries instead. However, it is probably a good thing for the stockholders that I am not in charge of establishing the fleet deployments.:rolleyes:

Bill

What I was looking at Bill, was the possibility of a TA. I was not thinking of a European cruise.

What makes sense to me is from what I'm reading on this thread, the Oasis will have to return to Europe for her drydock. I would enjoy being onboard either over or back.

Rick

What I was looking at Bill, was the possibility of a TA. I was not thinking of a European cruise.

What makes sense to me is from what I'm reading on this thread, the Oasis will have to return to Europe for her drydock. I would enjoy being onboard either over or back.

Rick

I might join you on that, Rick. :) Our very first TA was a seven night cruise from Harwich, UK to Boston with no ports of call. It was wonderful so 7 full days on Oasis might actually provide sufficient time to explore and enjoy every aspect of the ship. Depending on how long a dry dock was involved, a stay in Europe followed by a return trip might make a wonderful package. :)

We are just back from a B2B on the Allure. Both weeks had lots of Latin Americans on board including a 500 person contingent from Brazil. Boleros was hopping both weeks.

And you couldn't see into Boleros for all the smoke, right? :rolleyes:

The Sunshine Class ships are set for delivery in fall of 2014 and spring of 2015 (yes, just 6 months apart). The Oasis of the Seas is going to dry dock in fall of 2014 (rumors say September but that is no where near confirmed) with the Allure of the Seas going in the fall of 2015. This time frame puts the idea of the Oasis going to Europe in 2012-13 completely out of the blue. If the Oasis class ships really do have to go back to Turku I could see RCCL trying to earn money on the transatlantic crossings (maybe even sailing from Southampton a for a month if the new terminal really is up to the same standards of Port Everglades, though I doubt it). Making transatlantic sailings a standard practice doesn't seem likely though as the ship is not designed for those kinds of conditions and after her initial transatlantic RCCL is certainly a bit scarred to risk things again.

Someone previously posted a quote about the 10 year contract with Port Everglades stating that year 5 would be 2012. I know about that contract but not when it started or ended. The deal does not guarantee them to have any Oasis class ship at all. It is entirely based on the number of passengers who depart from their port. That is how it forces RCCL to keep those ships their as it would be difficult, though not impossible to keep to the terms without those two ships filling up every week. For this reason I could see RCCL keeping both ships their till the end of the deal (through 2017 based on the previous quote). I would not be surprised though if following the Oasis of the Seas' dry dock they shifted her to a 9 night and 5 night alternating schedule. That would retain the same average of 6,000 passengers per week from her while spicing things up with new options. The 5 nighter could be cheap and short giving an opportunity to try the class to people who previously would not have been able to. This could be focused on the ship stopping at Labadee and maybe one other generic port (like Nasau). The 9 nighter could go to new ports and bring in new repeat sailers who wanted different destinations as well as those who are more concerned about destination than ship. I still do not understand that tie between Bermuda and NYC. It seems like Fort Lauderdale is barely farther than NYC and Bermuda is Oasis ready. If they went their they would be the only ones doing it and offering a ship unmatched. That could build a gold mine out of a dried up oil field.

Currently the Explorer of the Seas does a 9 nighter as this:

• Day 1 Cape Liberty Cruise Port, New Jersey
  • Day 2 Cruising
  • Day 3 Kings Wharf, Bermuda
  • Day 4 Cruising
  • Day 5 Philipsburg, St. Maarten
  • Day 6 Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas
  • Day 7 San Juan, Puerto Rico
  • Day 8 Cruising
  • Day 9 Cruising
  • Day 10 Cape Liberty Cruise Port, New Jersey

It seems like the Oasis could easily do an itinerary like this (the 9 night holiday sailing with Bermuda instead of Labadee):

• Day 1 Fort Lauderdale, Florida
  • Day 2 Cruising
  • Day 3 Cruising
  • Day 4 Kings Wharf, Bermuda
  • Day 5 Cruising
  • Day 6 Philipsburg, St. Maarten
  • Day 7 Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas
  • Day 8 Basseterre, St. Kitts
  • Day 9 Cruising
  • Day 10 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

There are more ports that are Oasis capable than they use (but so far only Fort Lauderdale is capable of being her home port):

1. Fort Lauderdale, USA+
  2. Cape Liberty, USA
  3. Philipsburg, St. Maarten-
  4. Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas-
  5. Nassau, Bahamas-
  6. Labadee, Haiti-
  7. Falmouth, Jamaica-
  8. Cozumel, Mexico-
  9. Costa Maya, Mexico-
  10. Basseterre, St. Kitts-
  11. San Juan, Puerto Rico
  12. Ponce Port, Puerto Rico
  13. Kings Warf, Bermuda
  14. St. Johns, Antigue

• + = Already a home port
  • - = Already a port of call

These are just the ones I know, I'm sure their are more out their and even more that would become ready if RCCL promised the Oasis would arrive. If RCCL really wanted to go extreme how well would a cruise to Bermuda and Cape Liberty do? Would people in Florida (and international, remember Oasis class ships have the highest percentage of international passengers of all US ships) a cruise that stayed in Cape Liberty for a few days with complimentary water taxi service to NYC?

[quote name='DEIx15x8']The Sunshine Class ships are set for delivery in fall of 2014 and spring of 2015 (yes, just 6 months apart). The Oasis of the Seas is going to dry dock in fall of 2014 (rumors say September but that is no where near confirmed) with the Allure of the Seas going in the fall of 2015. This time frame puts the idea of the Oasis going to Europe in 2012-13 completely out of the blue. If the Oasis class ships really do have to go back to Turku I could see RCCL trying to earn money on the transatlantic crossings (maybe even sailing from Southampton a for a month if the new terminal really is up to the same standards of Port Everglades, though I doubt it). Making transatlantic sailings a standard practice doesn't seem likely though as the ship is not designed for those kinds of conditions and after her initial transatlantic RCCL is certainly a bit scarred to risk things again.

Someone previously posted a quote about the 10 year contract with Port Everglades stating that year 5 would be 2012. I know about that contract but not when it started or ended. The deal does not guarantee them to have any Oasis class ship at all. It is entirely based on the number of passengers who depart from their port. That is how it forces RCCL to keep those ships their as it would be difficult, though not impossible to keep to the terms without those two ships filling up every week. For this reason I could see RCCL keeping both ships their till the end of the deal (through 2017 based on the previous quote). I would not be surprised though if following the Oasis of the Seas' dry dock they shifted her to a 9 night and 5 night alternating schedule. That would retain the same average of 6,000 passengers per week from her while spicing things up with new options. The 5 nighter could be cheap and short giving an opportunity to try the class to people who previously would not have been able to. This could be focused on the ship stopping at Labadee and maybe one other generic port (like Nasau). The 9 nighter could go to new ports and bring in new repeat sailers who wanted different destinations as well as those who are more concerned about destination than ship. I still do not understand that tie between Bermuda and NYC. It seems like Fort Lauderdale is barely farther than NYC and Bermuda is Oasis ready. If they went their they would be the only ones doing it and offering a ship unmatched. That could build a gold mine out of a dried up oil field.
[LIST]
[*]Day 1 Cape Liberty Cruise Port, New Jersey
[*]Day 2 Cruising
[*]Day 3 Kings Wharf, Bermuda
[*]Day 4 Cruising
[*]Day 5 Philipsburg, St. Maarten
[*]Day 6 Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas
[*]Day 7 San Juan, Puerto Rico
[*]Day 8 Cruising
[*]Day 9 Cruising
[*]Day 10 Cape Liberty Cruise Port, New Jersey
[/LIST]
It seems like the Oasis could easily do an itinerary like this (the 9 night holiday sailing with Bermuda instead of Labadee):
[LIST]
[*]Day 1 Fort Lauderdale, Florida
[*]Day 2 Cruising
[*]Day 3 Cruising
[*]Day 4 Kings Wharf, Bermuda
[*]Day 5 Cruising
[*]Day 6 Philipsburg, St. Maarten
[*]Day 7 Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas
[*]Day 8 Basseterre, St. Kitts
[*]Day 9 Cruising
[*]Day 10 Fort Lauderdale, Florida
[/LIST]
There are more ports that are Oasis capable than they use (but so far only Fort Lauderdale is capable of being her home port):
[LIST=1]
[*]Fort Lauderdale, USA+
[*]Cape Liberty, USA
[*]Philipsburg, St. Maarten-
[*]Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas-
[*]Nassau, Bahamas-
[*]Labadee, Haiti-
[*]Falmouth, Jamaica-
[*]Cozumel, Mexico-
[*]Costa Maya, Mexico-
[*]Basseterre, St. Kitts-
[*]San Juan, Puerto Rico
[*]Ponce Port, Puerto Rico
[*]Kings Warf, Bermuda
[*]St. Johns, Antigue
[/LIST]
[LIST]
[*]+ = Already a home port
[*]- = Already a port of call
[/LIST]
These are just the ones I know, I'm sure their are more out their and even more that would become ready if RCCL promised the Oasis would arrive. If RCCL really wanted to go extreme how well would a cruise to Bermuda and Cape Liberty do? Would people in Florida (and international, remember Oasis class ships have the highest percentage of international passengers of all US ships) a cruise that stayed in Cape Liberty for a few days with complimentary water taxi service to NYC?[/QUOTE]

Wow! You have really given this a lot of thought! :)

[quote name='ARCruisinNana']"She said the Oasis would come to Barcelona for the 2013 or 2014 season."

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=black]The OP said 2013 or 2014.[/COLOR][/FONT][/QUOTE]

oops, your right. Guess something got messed up through reading all the comments. Thanks.

[quote name='ARCruisinNana']"She said the Oasis would come to Barcelona for the 2013 or 2014 season."

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=black]The OP said 2013 or 2014.[/COLOR][/FONT][/QUOTE]

[quote name='DEIx15x8']oops, your right. Guess something got messed up through reading all the comments. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Wait, didn't you just say the same thing twice, Nana? :confused:

I vote for the drydock theory. Even with a 10 year contract, they have to do some maintenance, and that's got to be built into the contract.

I'd do a sea days only TA to the drydock location in Europe in a heartbeat.

[quote name='pcur']I vote for the drydock theory. Even with a 10 year contract, they have to do some maintenance, and that's got to be built into the contract.

I'd do a sea days only TA to the drydock location in Europe in a heartbeat.[/quote]

My guess, along with yours, and a few others, is that this cruise would sell out very quickly! It certainly would be my choice to be able to enjoy the Oasis, for the reason that it was built. It's its own destination!:)

Rick

[quote name='DEIx15x8']The Sunshine Class ships are set for delivery in fall of 2014 and spring of 2015 (yes, just 6 months apart). The Oasis of the Seas is going to dry dock in fall of 2014 (rumors say September but that is no where near confirmed) with the Allure of the Seas going in the fall of 2015. This time frame puts the idea of the Oasis going to Europe in 2012-13 completely out of the blue. If the Oasis class ships really do have to go back to Turku I could see RCCL trying to earn money on the transatlantic crossings (maybe even sailing from Southampton a for a month if the new terminal really is up to the same standards of Port Everglades, though I doubt it). Making transatlantic sailings a standard practice doesn't seem likely though as the ship is not designed for those kinds of conditions and after her initial transatlantic RCCL is certainly a bit scarred to risk things again.

[LIST]
[*]Day 1 Cape Liberty Cruise Port, New Jersey
[*]Day 2 Cruising
[*]Day 3 Kings Wharf, Bermuda
[*]Day 4 Cruising
[*]Day 5 Philipsburg, St. Maarten
[*]Day 6 Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas
[*]Day 7 San Juan, Puerto Rico
[*]Day 8 Cruising
[*]Day 9 Cruising
[*]Day 10 Cape Liberty Cruise Port, New Jersey
[/LIST]
[LIST]
[*]Day 1 Fort Lauderdale, Florida
[*]Day 2 Cruising
[*]Day 3 Cruising
[*]Day 4 Kings Wharf, Bermuda
[*]Day 5 Cruising
[*]Day 6 Philipsburg, St. Maarten
[*]Day 7 Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas
[*]Day 8 Basseterre, St. Kitts
[*]Day 9 Cruising
[*]Day 10 Fort Lauderdale, Florida
[/LIST]
[LIST=1]
[*]Fort Lauderdale, USA+
[*]Cape Liberty, USA
[*]Philipsburg, St. Maarten-
[*]Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas-
[*]Nassau, Bahamas-
[*]Labadee, Haiti-
[*]Falmouth, Jamaica-
[*]Cozumel, Mexico-
[*]Costa Maya, Mexico-
[*]Basseterre, St. Kitts-
[*]San Juan, Puerto Rico
[*]Ponce Port, Puerto Rico
[*]Kings Warf, Bermuda
[*]St. Johns, Antigue
[/LIST]
[LIST]
[*]+ = Already a home port
[*]- = Already a port of call
[/LIST]
These are just the ones I know, I'm sure their are more out their and even more that would become ready if RCCL promised the Oasis would arrive. If RCCL really wanted to go extreme how well would a cruise to Bermuda and Cape Liberty do? Would people in Florida (and international, remember Oasis class ships have the highest percentage of international passengers of all US ships) a cruise that stayed in Cape Liberty for a few days with complimentary water taxi service to NYC?[/QUOTE]

You are assuming that the Bermuda government, which seems to have a love/hate relationship with cruise lines, would allow a ship carrying nearly 6,000 passengers to dock on their island and that there are a large number of people who would find Port Liberty, despite its proximity to the Big Apple, an acceptable venue for anything other that embarkation and disembarkation. You might well be wrong in both instances, but that is why RCI pays people big bucks to make such decisions and doesn't just survey CC members before establishing their routes. I believe that RCI, sometime back tried a few Florida to Bermuda roundtrips but apparently the results were not as encouraging and the itinerary was not as popular as you believe it would be. If it had been you would probably see such offerings at least occasionally. I do believe that there are a number of possible ports of call, including some you have listed, that would allow them to offer some varied itineraries once they have exhausted the possibilities of the standard ones they are currently sailing but that time has likely not come yet.:)

[quote name='Merion_Mom']First of all, Royal Caribbean has a 10 year agreement with Port Everglades:
Second of all, such transatlantic cruises would sell out so fast your head would spin![/quote]

Well, RCI had a 5-year contract with the Port of Los Angeles for Mariner, so I don't think they have any trouble getting out of their commitments.

And the more people talk about specific TAs, the higher the price - Jewel is commanding insane prices for her fall 2012 TA, and I attribute that to people talking up the cruise beforehand. so, shhhhhhhh.;)

I LOVE IT!!!

Can you imagine Central Park with all of the snow instead of the lush green it is now…

This picture is kind of apocalyptic…………..BURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR….

THANKS!

[quote name='Merion_Mom']Here it comes...............sorry, OB.

[IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-tn5FMNdauac/S5WB7U_yUSI/AAAAAAAABSM/38OCAvaaXys/s800/IMG_0322.JPG[/IMG][/quote]

Archived