Seattle, Washington

We are doing an Alaskan cruise out of Seattle, Washington in July 2011. Cruise ship is Rhapsody of the Seas leaving the Smith Cove Cruise Terminal (Pier 91).

We plan to arrive the day before to be able to due some sight seeing, especially the Pike Place Market & maybe the Space Needle. Looking for a recommendation for hotels close to the pier with easy access to market place as well. Or maybe something close to market place that will provide transportation to pier. Thanks.

We have reservations for Friday June 3th at The Maxwell. The TripAdvisor reviews are excellent and it's supposed to have a Space Needle view. I love the trendy look of the hotel. We reserved the Pre-cation Package which includes 2 breakfast sandwiches w/coffee or tea and a shuttle to the pier. Check it out:

http://www.themaxwellhotel.com/promotions/

We're on the Golden Princess to Alaska on June 4th. I am soooooo excited - aren't you? Have a great time.

Helen

We are doing an Alaskan cruise out of Seattle, Washington in July 2011. Cruise ship is Rhapsody of the Seas leaving the Smith Cove Cruise Terminal (Pier 91).

We plan to arrive the day before to be able to due some sight seeing, especially the Pike Place Market & maybe the Space Needle. Looking for a recommendation for hotels close to the pier with easy access to market place as well. Or maybe something close to market place that will provide transportation to pier. Thanks.

The pier you are at is not the one that is closest to the pike place market. No hotels very close to pier 91, but it isn't that far from downtown or the areas close to the pike place market & seattle center. Even if you end up taking a taxi it shouldn't be a terrible fare.

I am not the best source on hotels, as I don't stay in them here (I'm a local) nor do I work in the travel industry. But what price range are you looking for? Do you want a newer hotel or one that is older & has some history or the old world charm / character? If you narrow it down a little I'm sure you'll get some good recommendations.

There aren't hotels close to pier 91. You'll need to stay downtown. A taxi to the pier from downtown will cost around $10-$15.

There is a link to hotel info in the SEATTLE STICKY at the top of the page. I think it's visitseattle.org. There is also info for the free bus routes downtown and along the waterfront.

Tripadvisor is another good resource for hotels. Since you're looking so late, you might have luck with hotwire, etc

we leave out of Pier 91 too on July 9th and are staying one night in downtown Seattle. we chose the Grand Hyatt. Hotels in the downtown region are quite pricey and I was not able to Hotwire or Priceline one this time. We chose the Grand Hyatt since it's near the railway that will bring us directly from the airport.

We're departing Seattle on the NCL Pearl on Sept 18th. I secured our reservations at the "Hotel Five Seattle" (formerly Ramada Inn Downtown.)

Since I had made my reservation quite some time ago, I called the Ramada 800 number to verify my confirmation. Imagine my surprise when the rep told me the hotel was no longer affiliated with Ramada. I then called the hotel directly. They looked up our reservation and said there was no problem... they are honoring all previous reservations & quoted rates, which saves me $100.00 a night! It pays to book early.

We are going to be staying at the Silver Cloud Hotel-Stadium. It is right next to where the Seattle Mariners play, so we are gonna catch a game too. They provide a shuttle to places downtown and will take you to the cruise terminal as well.

We are going to be staying at the Silver Cloud Hotel-Stadium. It is right next to where the Seattle Mariners play, so we are gonna catch a game too. They provide a shuttle to places downtown and will take you to the cruise terminal as well.

Riding Metro Transit is free in downtown Seattle from 6 a.m. and 7 p.m. daily.

http://metro.kingcounty.gov/tops/bus/ridefree.html

Last week, pre and post cruise, we stayed at the Hyatt Place on 6th Ave North. We walked to the Space Needle one night (we ARE NOT walkers, and it was an easy walker!) My son and I also walked the 5 blocks to the Whole Food Market, but it was uphill on the way back, but do able. They offer a free shuttle within 1 mile of the hotel - available 24 hours a day.

Also, the #5 bus route is one block away and it has a stop at one of the zoo entrances. We did this on the day we returned from the cruise and had a great time.

We stayed at the Sheraton pre-cruise and Weston post-cruise. I liked the location of the Sheraton the best. It's within walking distance of Pike's Market (which I recommend going to Lowe's for breakfast the morning of the cruise if you are from the east coast and are up early). The Monorail to the space needle is a block away. Also a couple blocks from the light rail if you decide to go that route for airport transportation. Another idea for something to do is the underground tour. You can take the free bus to Pioneer Park. As mentioned it's only about $15 with tip for a taxi to the port.

My local Lowe's doesn't serve breakfast:o

...and if it did, I'm not sure I'd want to eat there!

However, Lowell's at Pike Place Market does serve a nice breakfast with a fabulous view of Elliott Bay. They open at 7 am, which is a great time to get there in summer, and experience the Market waking up before the hordes descend.

However, Lowell's at Pike Place Market does serve a nice breakfast with a fabulous view of Elliott Bay. They open at 7 am, which is a great time to get there in summer, and experience the Market waking up before the hordes descend.

My local Lowe's usually has great hot dogs on the weekend! :D

Thanks for clearing up the mystery. Man I was wondering if there was a new restaurant here named Lowe's or if the hardware store had gone upscale with a dining area. :)

I have never been to Seattle and have a cruise on Holland America near the end of this month. Is there a liqueur/wine shop near down town that someone can recommend? I am looking for good variety of quality reds and champangne.

We're not wine experts, but know what we like. We went to the QFC on Mercer and were surprised at the large selection of wines. We couldn't find DH's favorite - Beringer White Zinfandel, so he chose a different brand that he said was as good. I like Moscato d'asti and found 4 different brands to choose from.

Like I said, we're not wine connoisseur's but thought they had a large selection including a cooler room with higher priced bottles.

I have never been to Seattle and have a cruise on Holland America near the end of this month. Is there a liqueur/wine shop near down town that someone can recommend? I am looking for good variety of quality reds and champangne.

My favorites downtown are both at Pike Place Market: Pike & Western Wine Shop http://www.pikeandwestern.com/ and DeLaurenti's Specialty Food and Wine http://www.delaurenti.com/. Both have a great selection of quality wines, including some small northwest labels. Both have knowledgeable staff to help you choose some local treasures that you might not have seen before.

There's also The Tasting Room http://tastingroomseattle.com/ at Pike Place Market. They pour wines from seven small Washington wineries. If you'd like to try before you buy, they might be a good place to visit.

There's a branch of the Wine Outlet on Elliott Avenue near the turnoff for Pier 91 - where HAL docks. http://www.seattlewineoutlet.com/retailstore.asp?nv=34

Or there's a big Whole Foods market a little way past the same turnoff - http://wholefoodsmarket.com/stores/interbay/

In either case if you're taking a cab to the pier, you could have the cab wait while you nip in and pick up a couple of bottles, then take you to the dock.

We stayed at the Executive Hotel Pacific that's on Spring and 4th Ave before we sailed out of Seattle the last time and they had a Sail Away Package that including transportation to the Pier. It was right downtown within walking distance to Pike Place Market and all the shopping and restaurants. Was a great deal too, around $100/night - for a DT hotel, it was super convenient! :)

We have reservations for Friday June 3th at The Maxwell. The TripAdvisor reviews are excellent and it's supposed to have a Space Needle view. I love the trendy look of the hotel. We reserved the Pre-cation Package which includes 2 breakfast sandwiches w/coffee or tea and a shuttle to the pier. Check it out:

http://www.themaxwellhotel.com/promotions/

We're on the Golden Princess to Alaska on June 4th. I am soooooo excited - aren't you? Have a great time.

Helen

We stayed there in 2009 and also last month. Catching a Mariners game is highly recommended. It's one of the most fan friendly parks I have been to. Both of our stays at the hotel worked out just fine. Close to the train station and light rail to the airport.

Archived