Shareholder Credit Clarifications

thejman

I couldn't find these issues addressed in the search...

On the RCCL website is states eligibility as such:

"Any shareholder holding a minimum of 100 RCL shares at time of sailing."

At the time of sailing is what concerns me. Don't you send in your shareholder information and obtain the credit 2-3 weeks in advance of sailing? Are they able to confirm if you sell the shares prior to your sailing but after the credit is applied to your cruise?

Also, does anybody have any privacy concerns about sending in your brokerage statement to RCCL? Since you are dealing with the corporate office, why are they not able to confirm from internal records whether or not you are a shareholder without you sending in your entire brokerage statement?

Thanks for any insights!

At the time of sailing is what concerns me. Don't you send in your shareholder information and obtain the credit 2-3 weeks in advance of sailing? Are they able to confirm if you sell the shares prior to your sailing but after the credit is applied to your cruise?

Also, does anybody have any privacy concerns about sending in your brokerage statement to RCCL? Since you are dealing with the corporate office, why are they not able to confirm from internal records whether or not you are a shareholder without you sending in your entire brokerage statement?

Thanks for any insights!

I've fax it to them 5 days prior to cruise and had no problems. I don't send my entire brokerage statement. I paste the line showing account number and the line that shows stock. You could also just send the certificate for the stock holders meeting.

I've fax it to them 5 days prior to cruise and had no problems. I don't send my entire brokerage statement. I paste the line showing account number and the line that shows stock. You could also just send the certificate for the stock holders meeting.
Thanks for the info - do they actually need your brokerage account number, I wonder? Or just the line showing RCCL shares? The proper disposal of my account number is what concerns me.

They have no way of knowing if you sell your shares b4 sailing, at least if you hold the shares in a brokerage account...maybe if you have purchased directly from the company they could find out...not even sure if that is possible.

I just email the sheet from a recent brokerage statement that has the rcl shares listed...I "white out" the other sensitive info...such as account numbers and it has worked for me.

They have no way of knowing if you sell your shares b4 sailing, at least if you hold the shares in a brokerage account...maybe if you have purchased directly from the company they could find out...not even sure if that is possible.

I just email the sheet from a recent brokerage statement that has the rcl shares listed...I "white out" the other sensitive info...such as account numbers and it has worked for me.

The part about the shares being held in a brokerage account makes sense. I hadn't considered that. I guess that's why they can't confirm individual shareholders since the shares are held in trust by the brokerage and not in your individual name?

I'm glad to hear that they'll accept the statement with your account number crossed out. Thanks for the info. Looking forward to the $250 credit on my 14 day cruise!

At the time of sailing is what concerns me. Don't you send in your shareholder information and obtain the credit 2-3 weeks in advance of sailing? Are they able to confirm if you sell the shares prior to your sailing but after the credit is applied to your cruise? Actually, no (for the same reason as the last answer below).

Also, does anybody have any privacy concerns about sending in your brokerage statement to RCCL? No. As another has stated, you can cut and paste and/or whiteout to just show your name and the share holding.

Since you are dealing with the corporate office, why are they not able to confirm from internal records whether or not you are a shareholder without you sending in your entire brokerage statement? Because if the shares are held with a broker, they are more than likely in street name.

Thanks for any insights!

Also glad to know that you don't need to provide account number. One less thing to paste and much more secure. FYI:The On Board Booking credit for a 14 day cruise is $300.00. This is the only case where the OBC is higher than the stockholder credit. One also needs to be aware of the limits placed on the use of the stockholder credit. You may want to review threads on this topic for a full discussion.

You need to own 100 shares. They are approximately $37 a share now. The shareholder booking benefit varies with the length of the cruise, sometimes being about the same as the on-board booking incentive, but at the 14 day cruise length, it generally exceeds the on-board booking -- it is $300 per stateroom (not per person). It is not combinable with most other OBC offers.

I would say that the general consensus is that it is not something most investors should jump on unless the stock fits your overall investing picture.

For some-one not familiar with this, what is the OBC for a shareholder? And what is the current approx price of an RCCL share?

People who own at least 100 shares of RCL stock are entitled to $50 to $250 worth of on board credit (depends on the length of your sailing). Applied to cruises on both Celebrity and RCI. However it may not be combined with other discounts or on board credits from the cruise line such as on board credit for booking a future cruise while on a current cruise. At this time RCL stock is $37 or so per share. The shareholder credit can of course be a,prefer or terminated at any time, so do not purchase the stock simply for the perk.

Just re-read my last post and realized that something I wrote wasn't clear -- for 14+ day cruises, the on-board booking credit now is $300 per stateroom, not the shareholder credit. I left out a word from my previous post.

In any case, if you are on-board a ship and wish to book another cruise, you usually get some perks for doing so in addition to the OBC, such as upgrades.

If you are sitting at home and get a hankering to make a booking, then the shareholder credit can be useful.

I have always emailed our proof of shareholding when we book our cruise - usually more than 18 months before our cruise. We have never been asked to confirm that we are still holding the shares at the time of our cruise.

Sue

For some-one not familiar with this, what is the OBC for a shareholder? And what is the current approx price of an RCCL share?

If you are not familiar enough with the stock market to even know how to even look up the symbol and price, please do not go out and buy 100 shares of RCL stock just for this credit. In the past 52 weeks, RCL stock has traded as low as $21.97 and as high as $49.99. Irrespective of what you believe or what your friends tell you, there is risk in the stock market. You can buy today for $37.96 and tomorrow that $3796 investment for 100 shares can be worth $3000 or less due to some natural disaster, etc.

Or you could have just bought at $49 without a disaster, and would be down over a thousand now.

Off the top of my head, I think it was around $40 a week ago so you'd be down $200 now (plus brokerage) just in that time.

Archived