All Things Explorer of the Seas! -- Part 2

I am having a family member pick us up at the port when we get off Explorer on Thursday, 8/8/13. What time should I tell him to get there so he doesn't have to wait too long and I don't have to keep my 2-year-old entertained for too long either? Is there any way to estimate?

Thanks for any suggestions!

I am having a family member pick us up at the port when we get off Explorer on Thursday, 8/8/13. What time should I tell him to get there so he doesn't have to wait too long and I don't have to keep my 2-year-old entertained for too long either? Is there any way to estimate?

We had the first number for luggage tags and were outside the terminal waiting at 8:15am. So if you carry your own bags, you would be out earlier.

I've been reading some recent reviews about the long lines and traffic at the port at embarkation. What would be the best time to arrive to avoid all of that congestion?

Thanks!

We were there last week to watch the Explorer Sailaway....it was delayed 45 minutes.....noticed that after the original scheduled time to leave, they were still loading luggage.....this was a Saturday.

I travel that area every week....and the construction on that stretch of turnpike is still ongoing....over the bridge...

That Saturday the traffic heading to the port, from the Newark area was down to one lane, with traffic merging from 3 directions....it was a mess....you cannot avoid that congestion, just plan for it....

We have been on the Explorer last 5 cruises...we drive in....my personal preference is to be dropping off my luggage by 11am....check in by 11:30am, and on the ship by noon....first group-bus, first in the WJ before crowds also.

I have stood on my balcony and watched the long line of traffic stretching all the way out to the entrance road....

Our next cruise in a few weeks, we will be there by 11am again. Since we leave on a Thursday I don't expect the same traffic problems...that only happens at night and weekends.

Edited by B-52

I've been reading some recent reviews about the long lines and traffic at the port at embarkation. What would be the best time to arrive to avoid all of that congestion?

Thanks!

Last April we arrived about 11:30am and there was very little traffic.

Edited by clarea

Has anyone ever had their itinerary changed due to a storm? What was the outcome?

Yes. The march 5th sailing on the Explorer, this year. We hit such a bad storm that originally the captain told us we would be late to Labadee. Then later that day he told us we wouldn't make it all.

Instead we would continue onto Puerto Rico and be there 9am - 9 pm instead of 2pm - 10pm.

We were bummed because we had excursions planned for Labadee.

We were there last week to watch the Explorer Sailaway....it was delayed 45 minutes.....noticed that after the original scheduled time to leave, they were still loading luggage.....this was a Saturday.

I travel that area every week....and the construction on that stretch of turnpike is still ongoing....over the bridge...

That Saturday the traffic heading to the port, from the Newark area was down to one lane, with traffic merging from 3 directions....it was a mess....you cannot avoid that congestion, just plan for it....

We have been on the Explorer last 5 cruises...we drive in....my personal preference is to be dropping off my luggage by 11am....check in by 11:30am, and on the ship by noon....first group-bus, first in the WJ before crowds also.

I have stood on my balcony and watched the long line of traffic stretching all the way out to the entrance road....

Our next cruise in a few weeks, we will be there by 11am again. Since we leave on a Thursday I don't expect the same traffic problems...that only happens at night and weekends.

I am assuming that the construction on the bridge is not a factor on Sundays and all lanes will be open. Am I correct to assume this?

I am getting on the ship on 8/8. :)

Yes. The march 5th sailing on the Explorer, this year. We hit such a bad storm that originally the captain told us we would be late to Labadee. Then later that day he told us we wouldn't make it all.

Instead we would continue onto Puerto Rico and be there 9am - 9 pm instead of 2pm - 10pm.

We were bummed because we had excursions planned for Labadee.

Me & my sister were also on that sailing - we had never been to Labadee & had a cabana booked there - we were bummed but not mad cause stuff happens out of your control - it was fun sitting up in the Viking Crown Lounge enjoying the storm outside though.

Pat

Me & my sister were also on that sailing - we had never been to Labadee & had a cabana booked there - we were bummed but not mad cause stuff happens out of your control - it was fun sitting up in the Viking Crown Lounge enjoying the storm outside though.

Pat

You're out of your mind!! :D

I was seriously losing it, it was such a rocky ride. :(

I felt like almost the whole trip was affected by weather. But that's a chance you take on any cruise. In all, we still had a great time, and the ship and crew were amazing

We had the first number for luggage tags and were outside the terminal waiting at 8:15am. So if you carry your own bags, you would be out earlier.
On my 5-day Bermuda cruise last month, our scheduled arrival time wasn't until 8am. No one was off the ship before 8:30am. Perhaps you had an earlier scheduled arrival. We had luggage tag #1 and debarked at about 9:15-9:30am.

We are sailing for the first time on Explorer at Thanksgiving. I like to be on the ship as early as possible. Usually we sail out of Baltimore or Port Canaveral. Please explain the process at Bayonne to me? You drop off your luggage, go park, take a bus???? Being Diamond doesn't get us any perks at boarding, does it? What time should I show up at port and what should I expect when I get there? ie, Baltimore, I tend to get there around 9, and know I'm going to sit in a traffic line before they let us in to unload our baggage. Port Canaveral, rarely see a line. I'd just like to mentally prepare for this as well as possible. DD is not comfortable in unfamiliar situations, and I don't like to deal with her moodiness.

We are sailing for the first time on Explorer at Thanksgiving. I like to be on the ship as early as possible. Usually we sail out of Baltimore or Port Canaveral. Please explain the process at Bayonne to me? You drop off your luggage, go park, take a bus???? Being Diamond doesn't get us any perks at boarding, does it? What time should I show up at port and what should I expect when I get there? ie, Baltimore, I tend to get there around 9, and know I'm going to sit in a traffic line before they let us in to unload our baggage. Port Canaveral, rarely see a line. I'd just like to mentally prepare for this as well as possible. DD is not comfortable in unfamiliar situations, and I don't like to deal with her moodiness.

At Cape Liberty you take the bus after you check-in. There is no direct walkway to the ship, so they bus you a few hundred yards from the terminal building to the ship. It's very quick and the buses run continuously.

When we sailed out of Bayonne, we took a car service. They dropped us off at about 11, very little wait to get up to the drop off area. We left on a Tuesday if that makes any difference.

We were in a suite, so we went over to the suite check in area, and they let us bring along other members of our group that weren't in a suite.

After checking in and getting our pictures taken, we waited in the terminal for about 20 minutes. They started calling wheelchair guests to board the bus first, then the suite (priority?) section. We hopped on the bus, drove a few hundred yards and walked onto the ship on deck 1.

I was pretty pleased with the whole process.

You're out of your mind!! :D

I was seriously losing it, it was such a rocky ride. :(

I felt like almost the whole trip was affected by weather. But that's a chance you take on any cruise. In all, we still had a great time, and the ship and crew were amazing

It was a rocky ride but it did not bother me one bit. We had late seating in the MDR & on the 1st formal night the captain was there eating & they were slower than anyone else & they were still in there when several of the windows blew out in the dining area.

Pat

Hey guys, hope you don't mind some random questions! All of my RCI research previously has centered around Indy, but now that I'm booked on Explorer for January, I'm curious about some stuff. Sorry if they are silly questions, I'm still a cruise newbie with only 6 C&A points ;)

There's a soft serve machine near the pool, right? I've heard rumors of some ships having strawberry, but it's probably the typical chocolate/vanilla, yes?

I see in some pictures of the inside rooms that there's a curtain divider between the beds and the sofa area. Do all inside rooms have this?

On Indy in the cafe promenade and sometimes in the windjammer, they had hot chocolate from packets so you could make it yourself vs paying for the 'gourmet' stuff. Do they have this on Explorer?

Can they add the little 'egg crate' mattress topper if the beds are set as 2 twins?

I'm trying to read through parts of this thread, but it's quite long. Any other random tips would be quite helpful! I'll be going with myself (26) and my best friend (28). I know we're gonna have a blast regardless, but I just love researching and planning these things!! Thanks for all your help :)

Hey guys, hope you don't mind some random questions! All of my RCI research previously has centered around Indy, but now that I'm booked on Explorer for January, I'm curious about some stuff. Sorry if they are silly questions, I'm still a cruise newbie with only 6 C&A points ;)

There's a soft serve machine near the pool, right? I've heard rumors of some ships having strawberry, but it's probably the typical chocolate/vanilla, yes?

I see in some pictures of the inside rooms that there's a curtain divider between the beds and the sofa area. Do all inside rooms have this?

On Indy in the cafe promenade and sometimes in the windjammer, they had hot chocolate from packets so you could make it yourself vs paying for the 'gourmet' stuff. Do they have this on Explorer?

Can they add the little 'egg crate' mattress topper if the beds are set as 2 twins?

I'm trying to read through parts of this thread, but it's quite long. Any other random tips would be quite helpful! I'll be going with myself (26) and my best friend (28). I know we're gonna have a blast regardless, but I just love researching and planning these things!! Thanks for all your help :)

Soft serve frozen yogurt is chocolate/vanilla/strawberry. I pretty much only eat chocolate. Hot chocolate, you can get in Cafe Promenade along with tea and coffee 24/7 (serve yourself). Never had an inside cabin, so can't answer the curtain question. Never had twin beds either, so no help there (and we havent' asked for egg crate toppers either).

Edited by BND

Thanks so much! I am very excited for strawberry soft serve! It apparently doesn't take much to keep me happy. :D

Is there a menu for the mystery dinner somewhere? I have some dietary restrictions and would want to make sure I can eat the food first!

What is the mystery dinner?

I have priority boarding, can I bring my group with me?

It's been a while since I've been on the ship, do they have milkshakes?

Milkshakes are available for extra cost in Johnny Rockets.

Info on Mystery Dinner Theater:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqSubjectName=Food+%26+Beverage&faqId=3228&faqSubjectId=336&faqType=faq

Just watched a video clip af the M.T. on Youtube, I'll pass. Forgot about Johnny Rockets. Thats about all I would order from there anyway.

What is the mystery dinner?

I have priority boarding, can I bring my group with me?

It's been a while since I've been on the ship, do they have milkshakes?

We were with a group of 11, 4 of us were in suites and the others were in regular balcony rooms.

When we checked in at the "suite/VIP" area, the really nice lady at check in walked around the counter and ran over and got the rest of my group. She said they could come in with us, even though they weren't in suites.

I thought that was super nice of her. :D