Random Questions

Ok first off - I am booked on the golden one night from seattle to vancouver september 24 --- we are booked in a suite and apparently have VIP boarding...however my question is, how long will it take to get to our cabin?

Next - Ruby Princess (Caribbean) November 6, 2011 - Questions for this is Princess Cays -- is there shopping there? or is it all based around beach ( I hate the beach )

Carnival Liberty (Caribbean)- Feb 25 2012 - I have never been to a tender required port is this going to be a pain in the ass

Grand Princess (Europe) - November 3 2012 is it going to be freezing? temps are 5-10degC. How do the excursions "on your own" work.....what exactly are we paying for if we are on our own for the entire day???

Euros?? can I just use my Credit card for there? or is it best I take Euros? also we are going to spain, portugal, england - do they all use euros? think they will take american?

Lastly Bermuda? Am i gonna die? the whole bermuda triangle messes with my head....

thanks in advance for your help

Ok first off - I am booked on the golden one night from seattle to vancouver september 24 --- we are booked in a suite and apparently have VIP boarding...however my question is, how long will it take to get to our cabin? You should be in the first group to board after those needing assistance. You will be able to go directly to your cabin usually.

Next - Ruby Princess (Caribbean) November 6, 2011 - Questions for this is Princess Cays -- is there shopping there? or is it all based around beach ( I hate the beach ) There is a small shop, and a few local vendors with carts, but shopping isn't much on Princess Cays. If you aren't interested in the beach.........not sure what you will do there. I hear there is a tour or two usually offered of the island, but we have never tried it ourselves.

Carnival Liberty (Caribbean)- Feb 25 2012 - I have never been to a tender required port is this going to be a pain in the ass

Yes it can be, all depends on how quickly you want to go ashore. I can't remember ever tendering off a Carnvial ship (it's been many years since we sailed on Carnival), but I would guess it will be about the same procedure. You will have to go to a lounge and get a tender ticket, then sit and wait until your number is called to proceed down to the tender deck by stairs, then board the tender to ride ashore. The return you must wait in line (sometimes a very long line) to board the tender back to the ship.

Grand Princess (Europe) - November 3 2012 is it going to be freezing? temps are 5-10degC. How do the excursions "on your own" work.....what exactly are we paying for if we are on our own for the entire day???

Euros?? can I just use my Credit card for there? or is it best I take Euros? also we are going to spain, portugal, england - do they all use euros? think they will take american? We didn't find Europe freezing in November, but mornings we defintely need a coat, gloves and hat.

Lastly Bermuda? Am i gonna die? the whole bermuda triangle messes with my head....

No worry about the Bermuda Triangle..........thousands of ships sail through that area regularly..........and nothing has happened to them.

Enjoy!

We just got back an Eastern Caribbean & Bermuda cruise that left from New York. Our last stop was Bermuda. It was beautiful and we did make it back alive! Or perhaps I am now living in some strange alternate universe where my life is exactly the same as it was.....in any case we survived! :)

Just a note, that Princess Cays is a tender port, as well as whatever tender ports you will have on Carnival.

As to euros, you can use your credit card, but you also will need to use your debit card to get euros from the ATMs. they will not take your dollars. EM

Personally I'd consider just staying onboard the ship when it gets to Princess Cays. It would be very peaceful onboard as most of the pax will be on the island's beaches. I just wasn't impressed at all.

thanks marly - ive been a member since feb - but more so a silent one...just picking out tips haha

hmmm so that would be pounds? assuming?

ok so my next question is i spend roughly 100 per port....how much should i bring how is the costs for items in the europe ports ( I know paris will prolly be the most expensive ) but what about portugal and spain?

can I just use my Credit card for there? or is it best I take Euros? also we are going to spain, portugal, england - do they all use euros? think they will take american?

Spain and Portugal both use Euros. England and the rest of the UK use pounds sterling. I doubt very much whether any of the countries will accept US$. We would not expect to use Euros or pounds (£) in the US.

ATMs are plentiful so you can use credit or debit cards in shops or at banks and ATMs.

Depending on your credit card using it can incur foreign transaction fees which will add a bit to the cost of everything you buy. You may want to use a debit card instead. You will probably pay a fee with this too but it won't be for every purchase you make. Do not use the ATM on the ship as the fees are usually more than on shore. On the Roll Call boards you can ask where the most convenient ATM is located for each port. When you leave the ship for the day just take the amount of cash you think you'll need for the day and just leave the rest in your safe. Just visit an ATM when your cash gets low.

We do get a few hundred Euro from our bank before we leave just to start us off. Our bank does not charge us a fee for this. That way we have cash for taxis from the airport and money to get us by until we find our first ATM.

Do not use the ATM on the ship as the fees are usually more than on shore.

A recent experience:

There is an onboard currency exchange machine that can be used to obtain Euros. This is not an ATM machine. You insert the currency you have (for example US$) to get the Euros.

1 Euro onboard costs $1.56. Also there is a service charge of $3.50 per transaction.

Rate I received buying Euros at an ATM using Credit Union ATM card: $1.44. (My CU charges no fees). Thus, buying 300 Euros onboard would have cost me $39.50 more than it did at an ATM machine on shore.

By the way, Princess will buy back those $1.56 Euros paying you $1.33 for each one. Again, there is a service charge of $3.50 per transaction.

thanks marly - ive been a member since feb - but more so a silent one...just picking out tips haha

hmmm so that would be pounds? assuming?

ok so my next question is i spend roughly 100 per port....how much should i bring how is the costs for items in the europe ports ( I know paris will prolly be the most expensive ) but what about portugal and spain?

Hello yes pounds. Like you I've been "here" since about Feb, just lurking, picking up tips and drooling over pics of food. It can be very cold in England in November and no matter what time of the year it's probably best to bring layers.

Ok first off - I am booked on the golden one night from seattle to vancouver september 24 --- we are booked in a suite and apparently have VIP boarding...however my question is, how long will it take to get to our cabin? Depends on the lineup at the VIP Boarding. Shouldn't be more than 20-30 minutes max

Next - Ruby Princess (Caribbean) November 6, 2011 - Questions for this is Princess Cays -- is there shopping there? or is it all based around beach ( I hate the beach ) Continue to hate the beach as that's what Princess Cays is all about

Carnival Liberty (Caribbean)- Feb 25 2012 - I have never been to a tender required port is this going to be a pain in the ass You're asking a Carnival question on a Princess board...NOT!!! however might be that pain you mention if you are disabled and can't step into and out of the tender

Grand Princess (Europe) - November 3 2012 is it going to be freezing? temps are 5-10degC. How do the excursions "on your own" work.....what exactly are we paying for if we are on our own for the entire day??? HELP!!!

Euros?? can I just use my Credit card for there? or is it best I take Euros? also we are going to spain, portugal, england - do they all use euros? think they will take american? Portugal and Spain are Euros, England is British Pounds, and finally NO, the world does not take American Dollars. If you're travelling to another country have the decency to get the currency of the country you visit. They don't accept British Pounds in the good old US of A do they?

Lastly Bermuda? Am i gonna die? the whole bermuda triangle messes with my head....Yup and be swallowed up by the vestal virgins of Atlantis to live in ecstacy and happiness for eternity

You're welcome

OK so I got a little wild on the currency thing :rolleyes: but you get the drift. Best bet is to use a debit card, but get your Euros or Pounds ashore as the exchange rate off the ship's ATMs is atrocious.

Suggest you're better off to check a Carnival Board for your Carnival question.

Princess Cay is indeed a relaxing day at the beach and not one peak of a Diamonds or Tanzanite International.

There's absolutely nothing wrong spending the rest of your life with the vestal virgins of Atlantis :D

Have a great cruise,

Ciao for now!!!

Hi Princess,

As regards British temperatures, definitely be prepared to wrap up warm in November.

It's the summer here now and today was lovely and sunny but the wind off the sea was freezing. You needed a light jacket at least to go out.

While 2 days ago we had temperatures in the mid to high 70's. And in April at Easter temperatures were like summer.

British weather is crazy, you can't guarrantee anything more than 2 days ahead.

On the other hand I have been out with the dog on the promenade before now in February in shorts and T shirt and the next year we'd have ice and snow.

Berwyn

When folks talk about doing "excursions on their own", they generally mean they've researched their port, and will take a cab (or walk....whatever) to wherever they are going. Research is key to doing things on your own. So, by doing that, you won't be paying for an excursion!

If you book a private or ship's excursion, you will be led around...via transportation of some kind....sort of a "no-brainer" way of seeing things that interest you. Costs for excursions vary widely. Research is how you'll get the most out of your shore time!

When folks talk about doing "excursions on their own", they generally mean they've researched their port, and will take a cab (or walk....whatever) to wherever they are going. Research is key to doing things on your own. So, by doing that, you won't be paying for an excursion!

If you book a private or ship's excursion, you will be led around...via transportation of some kind....sort of a "no-brainer" way of seeing things that interest you. Costs for excursions vary widely. Research is how you'll get the most out of your shore time!

If you are looking at a cruise ship excursion label "on your own" it generally means transportation from the port to some other location. For example, the ship offered Rome on your own. It was transportation from the port city to St Peters in Rome. Several hours later, the bus would return you from St Peters back to the ship.

Originally Posted by paradiseisaprincessaway viewpost.gif

Ok first off - I am booked on the golden one night from seattle to vancouver september 24 --- we are booked in a suite and apparently have VIP boarding...however my question is, how long will it take to get to our cabin? You should be in the first group to board after those needing assistance. You will be able to go directly to your cabin usually.

It really depends on what time you arrive and how many people are there waiting. I would plan for about an hour. I am not really sure about the groups they are talking about. Maybe they are thinking about getting off? In Seattle you arrive and get in a line to check your bags. After that, you go up one floor and there is a second line to go through the metal detectors (This line may start all the way down on the first floor). After you are done with that then you will check in for the cruise and may use the VIP line you are asking about. Not much of a benefit though as this line only takes about 3-10 mins. The security is what will take an hour.

My husband and I did the island tour at princess cayes it was fun and an interesting way to see the island and you get lunch included. I am not a beach person either. When doing the tour of the island dress comfortalely.If I stay in sun too long turn it a boiled lobster as Ie same colour as my hair red. Also by doing a tour you get to tender to the island with your group. The only thing I hate about tendering is the smell of the desoil oil that they run the tenders on. The new tenders are alot better than the old ones on the origianl Royal princess. Tendering is a pain but some times it is the only way in to some ports. Our first cruise we had to tender almost every port. They tried to make it fun by having music for us to listen to as we waited for the tender. This was in the Brithish Isles. Also some merchants charge an extra fee for using your credit card. On our trip to the med last year I took eurors and POUND STRILING for England. I found I did not purchase may things because of the price differnce. Ie thing were more expensive over in Eroupe because of the dollar differnce. And some times there was no time to shop on an excurrion because the tour went long and we had to be back at the boat by a certian time. Alos you can haggle better with cash with a vendor. As for Europe in Nov check the weater on the

tab on the info about your cruise on the princess site so you can take the right clothing. Best way to do it is to have a rain jacket that your can put diffent layers under depending on how warm or cool it is. Hope this helps enjoy your cruises.

Archived