Airline Baggage Fees - Holy Cow!

rpouls

While looking for flights from Boston-SanJuan for my upcoming cruise, I found Jetblue to be the least expensive at $343 rt

AA nyc-sju (rt) $314 including tax in mid july.... we definitely snatched it quickly

Whenever we fly I figure the baggage fees into the cost if we need to check anything. But the last few time we flew with approved check ins we got gate checked. I have heard that some airlines are weighing bags, we bought a new bag for me and although it is not the pretty one I wanted it weighed significantly less. So now on top on size we need to worry about weight .

My friend just flew to Seattle for the summer to be with her family while her mom has a hip replaced. She bought the tickets through Air Alaska, because they have the best baggage policy. When she went to check in here in Nashville, it was on American Airlines (a partner) to Chicago. She thought she would using the Alaska Airlines baggage policy, but instead she had to go by American Airlines's policy and it cost her $160!! I told her to check with FedEx or UPS before coming home, since it had to be cheaper than that to send part of her clothes back!

Granted, she didn't pack light because she was going to be gone for 2 months, but still.....

With Southwest you can do two checked bags free. So I check 2 bags even though one may be exceptionally lighter than the other, I also factor in souvenirs and things I'll bring home.

I'd rather check bags anytime than hope that my flight isn't full of over head hogs who put both their carry on's which happen to be full size roll on carry on bags into the over head, leaving no room for my small carry on bag. This is especially worrying when I'm in the last boarding section.

When I fly I factor in $50 for flights not on Continental (their credit card gives you 1 free bag to you or anyone you or booked with you on your reservation with Continental/United) & Southwest.

If Southwest is $50 or less in price difference, go with Southwest.

We just chose Frontier because I like the fact they are upfront about their fares. Book the cheapest, pay to check luggage and watch movies. Book "one up" and get 2 free bags and movies. Book another "one up" and get stretch seating, etc. Choose what you want. Thank you. Having to pay for baggage drives me nuts. Just charge one fee for all or give choices. Get first class privileges for less money than Delta.

Libtrek

But the thing is, then you have to fly through Denver, which is longer.

Could you manage with just one checked bag for the two of you together? Add that one bag to your two carry-ons and two "personal items." That would cut your checked baggage fee in half.

I have never done this for a cruise, but DH and I have done this several times going to Vegas. One checked suitcase, two rolling carry-on cases, and two "personal items" (usually camera bag or computer bag, etc). Worked out well both times as we had plenty of space and saved over $50!

i always figure the cost of checked bags in with the airline cost and dont think of it as a seperate thing--if i want to fly other than Delta with more than 1 checked bag a piece then i have to pay--its not a big deal anymore.

i always figure the cost of checked bags in with the airline cost and dont think of it as a seperate thing--if i want to fly other than Delta with more than 1 checked bag a piece then i have to pay--its not a big deal anymore.

That's the way I do it too. Before I start comparing fares, I add up all the extras and then compare. You can't just look at the airfare price alone anymore.

Don't forget that some companies will offer free or reduced baggage fees if you are enrolled in their Dividend Preferred Miles.

Let's be very clear. The US program is "Dividend Miles". "Preferred" is an elite status level with US that you reach after either 25,000 elite qualifying miles OR 30 qualifying segments in a year. It is not something that you can just "enroll" into - you have to have the necessary BIS miles.

Virtually all elite FF programs give baggage benefits. For example, on DL I get 2 free bags to 70 pounds each in coach and 3 bags in business/first.

There are ways to get elite status without flying, but they usually entail credit cards, significant spending or other activities.

Southwest is the best. Free bags and no change fee. I always factor in bag charges when you decide on which flight/airline I choose.

WN have their downside too;

• You can't get a seat assignment;
  • You can't even get seats togther (unless you pay for the privilege for an A boarding pass)
  • They don't exist on any GDS (ticketing system)
  • They don't interline (transfer luggage) to any other airline
  • They're domestic only

Every airline has advantages and disadvantages, you just need to balance them out.

This is exactly the reason I fly with Southwest. You can't beat the "no baggage fees", even if the airfare was more (which it hasn't been so far). :D

I wish I was so lucky here in Philly. i love Southwest but the cheapest round trip flight from PHL/FLL is $313.00pp. Just bought air on USAir for $230 round trip and no stops and good times.

Even paying the baggage fee we'll still be ahead by a little.

Bill

This is exactly the reason I fly with Southwest. You can't beat the "no baggage fees", even if the airfare was more (which it hasn't been so far). :D

Be careful about the wieght, though. If your bag weighs more than 50 lbs. the charge is $50, which brings it up to the same cost as an overweight bag on many other lines. So then, you may have to have 2 checked bags and that has its own hassles.

Be careful about the wieght, though. If your bag weighs more than 50 lbs. the charge is $50, which brings it up to the same cost as an overweight bag on many other lines. So then, you may have to have 2 checked bags and that has its own hassles.

I always weigh them before flying. No worries. :D

Well, here's the situation that our group is facing!

We are on the 06FEB12 Explorer of ther Seas sailing out of Bayonne. We're coming from Halifax.

Continental flies non stop (2 hr. flight) from Halifax for an all-in price of CAD$667. But then we have to add $60 each way for baggage fees ($25 for bag 1, $35 for bag 2) for $120 round trip - my $667 ticket is now $787.

Air Canada can get us there as well but with a connection in Montreal or Toronto (which adds about 2.5 hours total to our trip time; total 5 hours). Their ticket price all in is CAD$588. The first bag is free and the 2nd is $35. So add $70 for bags to the $588 and we're at $658 - a savings over Continental of $129 per ticket.

For me the $129 is worth a connection....when I fly longer distances we usually cash in points and fly business - Air Canada allows 3 bags at 70lbs. each free on business class award tickets but it's not worth the points on such a short hop to EWR....

JasYHZ

For me the $129 is worth a connection ...
I like the thinking, but there's one other thing that I would throw into the mix (which you have already thought about).

If I was flying on the day of the cruise, I might well think that it was worth $129 to avoid the connection. But if I was flying the day before, then the balance might well be different.

Archived