Airline Baggage Fees - Holy Cow!

rpouls

Decided to check on the latest baggage fees - I think the cheapest we can go is to each take one carry-on and 1 tote, but I have to measure our carry-ons to make sure they're within the size guidelines.

Even so, it will still cost us at least $96 roundtrip if we each check in one bag.

I guess this is another reason why it's definitely better to live near a port!!

However, it still hasn't stopped my addiction to cruising

spirit charges $28 to check a bag or $30 for a carry on .. so Im checking my carry on!!!.

Thats each way they charge that. $56 for one checked bag. Im going to avoid them from now on.

Spirit is ridiculous - you don't even get a free drink. Water? $2 please.

Decided to check on the latest baggage fees - I think the cheapest we can go is to each take one carry-on and 1 tote, but I have to measure our carry-ons to make sure they're within the size guidelines.

Even so, it will still cost us at least $96 roundtrip if we each check in one bag.

I guess this is another reason why it's definitely better to live near a port!!

However, it still hasn't stopped my addiction to cruising

Have you looked at Jetblue? first bag is free.

Do you have Southwest there or Air Tran? Southwest doesn't charge for checked bags and Southwest has just purchased Air Tran.

Same with JetBlue. Unfortunately, Southwest and JetBlue tend to be more expensive than the others - despite their classification as "discount carriers".

Same with JetBlue. Unfortunately, Southwest and JetBlue tend to be more expensive than the others - despite their classification as "discount carriers".

While looking for flights from Boston-SanJuan for my upcoming cruise, I found Jetblue to be the least expensive at $343 rt

Could you manage with just one checked bag for the two of you together? Add that one bag to your two carry-ons and two "personal items." That would cut your checked baggage fee in half.

Do you have Southwest there or Air Tran? Southwest doesn't charge for checked bags and Southwest has just purchased Air Tran.

When I flew Airtran in March they charged $20 for the first bag. They were apparently still operating under their own rules and not SW at that point.

Baggage fees tick me off. My feeling is that my air ticket should entitle me to bring one bag and anything after that is fair game. :mad:

Five homeports in FL, all of them comfortably driveable, so not an issue for us.

Back in my road warrior days, United Premier Executive status meant no bag fees.

Are you staying in your port city overnight? I travel A LOT, mostly for business but I vacation a lot too, and if I am staying in a hotel for at least one night, I will sometimes FedEx a suitcase. Hard to believe but you can SHIP luggage cheaper then some airlines. I once sent a huge suitcase from Washington, DC to LA for about $50!

We also chose Jetblue for our upcoming cruise (10 days!! :D) because it was the cheapest we could find. They offer first checked bag free and you are allowed one carry on plus one personal item (purse, laptop bag). They also offer free unlimited snacks and non alcoholic drinks

When I flew Airtran in March they charged $20 for the first bag. They were apparently still operating under their own rules and not SW at that point.

Baggage fees tick me off. My feeling is that my air ticket should entitle me to bring one bag and anything after that is fair game. :mad:

The sale just went though on May 2nd so you definitely would have been under AirTran rules.

I agree the fees tick me off too. I can't travel for work with just carryon since I also have to travel with a laptop and I am not hauling all that stuff through the terminal with the connections and delays they have now.

Baggage fees have certainly curtailed my spending when I travel as well. If you can't fit it in there to get it home, can't buy it. I used to take an extra bag for purchases, but not anymore! I cram as much as I can in a bag and there's little room for trinkets and souvenirs. Hurts the economy and I have heard others say they don't spend much either for the same reason.

We've decided to drive to the port in the spring, sell our car there, sail to Europe, stay there all summer, sail back in the fall, buy a new car and drive home. We figure it'll be cheaper in the long run than dealing with extortionist airlines. Bon Voyage!

The sale just went though on May 2nd so you definitely would have been under AirTran rules.

I agree the fees tick me off too. I can't travel for work with just carryon since I also have to travel with a laptop and I am not hauling all that stuff through the terminal with the connections and delays they have now.

if you fly Airtran now with the sale with Southwest finalized are bags free on Airtran?

Bill

I just flew southwest for the first time this week. I liked my bag was free, but it was 4 pounds over and they wanted to charge me $50. I took a few things out and told them to throw them away. It was cheaper to replace them than to pay the overweight fee. They told me to just put the stuff back and put a tag on the bag that said 50.

I usually fly another airline and I have their cc so my first bag is free, and I have never been charged overweight fees. Same bag. same clothes because when I get home, I wash and repack the same things.

if you fly Airtran now with the sale with Southwest finalized are bags free on Airtran?

Bill

No not until sometime in 2012. They are being run as two separate entities until they can merge all their frequent flyer miles and benefits into one

We just chose Frontier because I like the fact they are upfront about their fares. Book the cheapest, pay to check luggage and watch movies. Book "one up" and get 2 free bags and movies. Book another "one up" and get stretch seating, etc. Choose what you want. Thank you. Having to pay for baggage drives me nuts. Just charge one fee for all or give choices. Get first class privileges for less money than Delta.

Libtrek

I just got back from a 7-day Victory cruise, with 5 ports and an overnight in San Juan for the evening before. I had everything I needed in two carryons (this is allowed - you just have to follow the rules for "personal" item. I didn't wear anything twice, I didn't do laundry mid week and I was dressed in a dress every night for dinner. It can be done with no baggage fees. Seriously, put together an outfit for each day and evening, underwear, a bathing suit and a beach towel and be done with it. All my liquids except hairspray and sunscreen fit in the ziploc baggie. I bought hairspray and sunscreen at Walgreens before boarding and it was $15 bucks, much less than the $50 in baggage fees.

Archived