Cigar Lounge on the Princess

RichonCC

I like to smoke cigars (I know, I know) and know that the Island Princess has a cigar longue. What has been people's experiences' with Princess cigar longues, (if possible, specifically on the island)? yes, the question is vague because I want people to write about any aspect of it...

~Rich

I like to smoke cigars (I know, I know) and know that the Island Princess has a cigar longue. What has been people's experiences' with Princess cigar longues, (if possible, specifically on the island)? yes, the question is vague because I want people to write about any aspect of it...

~Rich

Was on the Island last December; saw more cigarette smokers, in the lounge than cigar smokers, during the day.

Seemed that cigar smokers were there in the evening.

Edited by GeeDunk

I like the cigar lounges and obviously cigars as well. Yes, some of us females do like a good cigar here and there. I have been in the cigar lounges on both the Caribbean (Churchill Lounge) and the Crown (Speakeasy Cigar Lounge) and enjoyed them. However I have not been on the Island's. (Didn't smoke cigars back then.)

I agree that is seems the cigar smokers seem to come out in the evenings more so than the daytime. I preferred the Crown's because it was smaller and the cigarette smokers tended to not hang out. (I'm not a cigarette smoker). Not that I mind sharing the space with the regular smokers. Both bad their pluses. I was actually shocked when we were on the CB last month and the doors to the Speakeasy were open (both front and back doors) and you could smell the cigar smoke all the way down the hallway long before you could see the lounge itself. I felt bad for the pax in the Window Suites because as soon as they walked out of their private hallway, they walked right into cigar smell, which tends to bother some people. On the Crown they left the door closed all the time, which makes me feel bad for the crew members working there though.

We only went to the cigar lounges 2 or 3 times on our last 2 cruises each, but we enjoyed them. Never had a problem buying a cigar, staff was always right on top of waiting on us. I bring my own cigars but my DH buys them on the ship. They have a decent selection but I honestly don't remember anything but Punch, Montocristo, and Macanudo. That suits me just fine if I were to splurge and buy one.

Edited by RebelSoul

I too enjoy the occasional cigar, especially on a cruise. As you can see below, we've been on every class of ship that is currently in the Princess fleet, and I can tell you that the cigar lounge on the Coral (twin sister to the Island) was just about my favorite. It is lacking a dedicated bar, such as the early Grand Class ships have, and it's smaller than the cigar lounges on the later Super-Grand Class ships but, unlike those fine vessels, it's not buried in the bowels of the ship or tucked into a dark corner.

I like that the Coral/Island cigar lounge is right off the main atrium on deck 7, in the heart of things, with windows looking both into the atrium area and, even better, out onto the promenade deck. Also, Crooners bar is very nearby and the Crooners cocktail wait staff also serves the cigar lounge. I found if you simply approached one of them or the bartender before entering the lounge and let them know you would like a drink and/or cigar, they were more than happy to accommodate, and were quite prompt and attentive. And once they saw me there more than once, I didn't even have to ask anymore. They would acknowledge me as I approached the door and follow me in.

The cigar lounge on the Island is a little small, but it has a nice sized humidor and great views. I did also find more cigarette smokers in the lounge than cigar smokers, but they tended to be there only long enough for a butt break, whereas the cigar smokers lingered a bit longer and tended to be very friendly.

I hope that helps, and I hope you enjoy your cruise, wherever you're thinking of traveling!

The Star Princess has one (called Shooters from memory)near the entrance to the theatre. My OH frequented it occasionally and there weren't too many patrons. Surprisingly, you couldn't smell the smoke when passing by.

DH was surprised that they didn't sell cigars at Shooters

The Star Princess has one (called Shooters from memory)near the entrance to the theatre. My OH frequented it occasionally and there weren't too many patrons. Surprisingly, you couldn't smell the smoke when passing by.

DH was surprised that they didn't sell cigars at Shooters

Hmmmm ..., that's odd. They used to sell cigars there. They just had a very small counter top humidor, but the bartender when we were aboard (Akeshe) was very diligent about keeping it in good form.

That was a few years ago, however.

• 6 years later...

~Rich

We're non somkers, but the Churchill Lounge (cigar lounge) is a very nice room. Was in it for a while on the Caribbean Princess in 2014 to watch the Stanley Cup Finals. Very, very posh.

The Cigar lounge is not that big on the Coral & Island compared to the other ships. Here are a couple of pictures from the Coral, in which except for decor, should be the same. It does have a nice view out the windows. There is no bar inside and usually the wait staff from Crooner's will go in ever so often to ask for drink orders. There is a small humidor, with maybe a dozen cigars offered:

25119551276_4322d9d6f4_z.jpgm30 by Cool Runnings, on Flickr

24506876793_e571c8b9e2_z.jpgM11 by Cool Runnings, on Flickr

24506876813_ee90b641c3_z.jpgM10 by Cool Runnings, on Flickr

On the larger ships, such as the Caribbean Princess, the lounge is larger with a bar & TV's that opens in the evenings. There are no windows to look out of in here.

32324946954_0e3be5e63c_z.jpgP1060610 by Cool Runnings, on Flickr

33170116005_8f436f1095_z.jpgP1060608 by Cool Runnings, on Flickr

We're non somkers, but the Churchill Lounge (cigar lounge) is a very nice room. Was in it for a while on the Caribbean Princess in 2014 to watch the Stanley Cup Finals. Very, very posh.

Agree! Churchills on the Caribbean Princess is a great spot for drinks, cigars and to watch sports even cricket.

The cigar lounge on the Island is among our favorites due to the windows to the outside. It is a little small but not any worse than the Speakeasy on some or the poorly designed lounge on the Royal. Churchill lounges on some ships are great since they are like a sports bar or pub atmosphere.

Crooners staff on the Island constantly come into the lounge to meet any needs you may have.