Dress Code & food in Alaska

We are considering a multi-generational trip to Alaska next summer. (I'm SOOO excited!) For those of you that have cruised Alaska, is it true that the general dress code is a little more casual than in other locations? Also, do you know if Celebrity makes an effort to serve some Alaskan fare on the cruises - i.e. fresh fish an such? Thanks for any information.

I don't believe that the dress code changes as the ships go from one location to another. How people may choose to dress might change, but the dress code does not change. Alaska's weather can be chilly so you are not likely to see people in shorts and t-shirts, more in long pants and sweaters.

Earlier this month there was a thread asking whether Alaskan fish was served. The answer, if I remember, was no. If you want Alaskan fare, you should plan to eat on shore.

I don't believe that the dress code changes as the ships go from one location to another. How people may choose to dress might change, but the dress code does not change. Alaska's weather can be chilly so you are not likely to see people in shorts and t-shirts, more in long pants and sweaters.

Earlier this month there was a thread asking whether Alaskan fish was served. The answer, if I remember, was no. If you want Alaskan fare, you should plan to eat on shore.

You can get salmon every night in the mdr...don't know if it is specifically "alaskan" salmon.

I have found the dress code more relaxed in Alaska and Caribbean, where in Europe more dressy.

The fresh fish I have eaten reflects the area you are in. All over Europe we ate fresh fish from Europe and so on... never did I get Mahi mahi in Greece..... you will have fresh Salmon in Alaska :o:o

Just off the Century yesterday. Most people dressed very casually, Formal night not enforced at all, why designate a Formal Night if you are not going to enforce it at all? The only Salmon on the menu was Atlantic, and that was available every night.

Just off the Century yesterday. Most people dressed very casually, Formal night not enforced at all, why designate a Formal Night if you are not going to enforce it at all? The only Salmon on the menu was Atlantic, and that was available every night.

The first formal night was designated Formal, and the second formal night was designated Formal (Optional). My companions and I at the large table at the base of the grand staircase were all in formal on the second formal night, but I did see others in baseball caps and jeans taking advantage of the Optional option. I did not let it bother me, though.

Donald.

Were you 1st or 2nd sitting? I saw about the same dress style both nights. I was late sitting at a large table at the top right hand side of the stair case.Like you I did not let it bother me, people will wear what they want, but why state Formal if you are not going to enforce it. I wore my full Highland Dress Formal both nights.

The first formal night was designated Formal, and the second formal night was designated Formal (Optional). My companions and I at the large table at the base of the grand staircase were all in formal on the second formal night, but I did see others in baseball caps and jeans taking advantage of the Optional option. I did not let it bother me, though.

Donald.

Century had a Formal "Optional" night? that's interesting.

We were on Infinity at the end of May and it seemed people (including us) did dress a little less formal than on other cruises. I think some has to do with the location and some seemed (in my opinion) to be that there were so many first time cruisers.

Cruise lines, in general, do not buy food in the ports they visit - so no seafood from Alaska.

Were you 1st or 2nd sitting? I saw about the same dress style both nights. I was late sitting at a large table at the top right hand side of the stair case.Like you I did not let it bother me, people will wear what they want, but why state Formal if you are not going to enforce it. I wore my full Highland Dress Formal both nights.

I was on 2nd sitting. I did notice someone in full Highland Dress Formal - so that was you.

We were on Infinity at the end of May and it seemed people (including us) did dress a little less formal than on other cruises. I think some has to do with the location and some seemed (in my opinion) to be that there were so many first time cruisers.

On Century last week there were 147 Captain's Club members (those with more than 1 Celebrity cruise) aboard. That meant that the other 1,600+ passengers were first-timers on Celebrity or perhaps even on their first-ever cruise on any cruise line. That may explain why Celebrity is now offering a Formal "Optional" night on the Alaskan route.

Donald.

My obeservation was little difference between Alaska and other US sailings on dress code.

As to freshness of food, its mass dining, I didn't detect much difference there either.

But it is Alaska and the scenery was grand!

We are considering a multi-generational trip to Alaska next summer. (I'm SOOO excited!) For those of you that have cruised Alaska, is it true that the general dress code is a little more casual than in other locations? Also, do you know if Celebrity makes an effort to serve some Alaskan fare on the cruises - i.e. fresh fish an such? Thanks for any information.

I have found the dress code more relaxed in Alaska and Caribbean, where in Europe more dressy.

The fresh fish I have eaten reflects the area you are in. All over Europe we ate fresh fish from Europe and so on... never did I get Mahi mahi in Greece..... you will have fresh Salmon in Alaska :o:o

Unfortunately, this isn't true. The food is the same as offered on all other sailings, nothing fresh brought onboard in port, just don't want anyone to have confusion over the issue.

I personally have never found the dress code "more relaxed" in the Caribbean, formal night is in full effect when on those itineraries. I would expect Alaska to be the same dress code for dinner, but more casual during the day.

I am bringing my usual dresses and heels for smart casual nights, and a floor length gown and dressy cocktail dress for the 2 formal nights for our upcoming Alaska cruise.

Unfortunately, this isn't true. The food is the same as offered on all other sailings, nothing fresh brought onboard in port, just don't want anyone to have confusion over the issue.

I personally have never found the dress code "more relaxed" in the Caribbean, formal night is in full effect when on those itineraries. I would expect Alaska to be the same dress code for dinner, but more casual during the day.

I am bringing my usual dresses and heels for smart casual nights, and a floor length gown and dressy cocktail dress for the 2 formal nights for our upcoming Alaska cruise.

I think what they meant is that in the Caribbean more and more people are looking for options other than formal. That is obviously the case, all you have to do is read these boards for any length of time. They still have formal nights but reports back are that men are predominately in sport jackets and on some cruises you can count on one hand the number of tuxes. Cruisers are also booking their specialty restaurants on the formal nights to avoid dressing or using the buffet. I find it very interesting that on this cruise they made the second formal night optional, had not see that before.

Archived