Question: Invoice Breakdown CCL vs TA

melli_fera

I have been casually watching price drops, and only recently pulled out my TA invoice and compared it to my CCL invoice. We're in an inside cabin. Here's what I found:

• The total price (including taxes, fees, etc) is the same on both invoices ($1449.88)
  • Cruise cost on TA = $990. Cruise cost on CCL = $1308
  • Port taxes/gvt fees on TA = $459.88. Port taxes/gvt fees on CCL = $141.88

So, According to the fare viewer and my CCL invoice, I'd be eligible for a price drop right now (about $100 :D). But according to my TA invoice, I'm not :(.

Was the TA being sneaky by shifting costs around so that I couldn't claim a price drop in the future?? :eek:

Any thoughts, suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

What TA's call Port Fees/Taxes are actually the non-commissionable portion of the Fare which includes more the Port Fees and Taxes.

Carnival's Government Fees and Taxes line is actually that and does not include port fees. Carnival's fare quote includes the commisionable and non-commisionable part of the fare as required by the Florida AG.

actually, It would be almost $200 price drop :eek:

Do I have any recourse at this point, aside from never using a TA again. :confused:

Not at all.

Carnival doesn't list the port charges. Sometimes TA's do and sometimes not. It makes no difference.

If your bottom line went down, start calling

Thanks, Big Duck... So, humor me, It looks like I should be mentally removing the non-commission portion from what the fare viewer is presenting, and then see if there's a difference in price, right?

I just don't want to get screwed for being naive. :o

I love math, but seeing all those numbers has me totally confused.:confused:

From your numbers, the price you paid for "cruise cost" was much lower with TA vs. Carnival.

Carnival looks at Cruise fare only. So yeah, maybe your TA was sneaky, but I don't think you have any recourse.

In the future, just stick with booking it yourself through Carnival. Much easier!!:D

I love math, but seeing all those numbers has me totally confused.:confused:

From your numbers, the price you paid for "cruise cost" was much lower with TA vs. Carnival.

Carnival looks at Cruise fare only. So yeah, maybe your TA was sneaky, but I don't think you have any recourse.

In the future, just stick with booking it yourself through Carnival. Much easier!!:D

Not being sneaky at all. TA's are supposed to be breaking the different charges down so you can see what they are

The $141.88 is actually the tax on the cabin, not port charges.

Thanks, Big Duck... So, humor me, It looks like I should be mentally removing the non-commission portion from what the fare viewer is presenting, and then see if there's a difference in price, right?

I just don't want to get screwed for being naive. :o

If the Carnival price is cheaper you are entitled to a price break. Carnival prices are all that they look at.

Ok, so here's the whole deal:

We're 67 days away from sailing. Neither invoice tells me what type of fare I booked.

Carnival Invoice:

• Cruise Amount: $1308
  • Fed Taxes/Fees: $141.88
  • Total: $1449.88

TA Invoice:

• Cruise Amount: $990
  • Fed Taxes/Fees: $459.88
  • Total: $1449.88

Fare Viewer (is this cruise only?):

• Fun Select: $1388 (higher)
  • Fun Saver: $1138 (give up assigned room but pick category)
  • Past Guest: $1138 (can pick stateroom, so can we KEEP what we already have assigned?)

Should I do a fake booking to get the bottom line and see if it's cheaper than what I paid???

I've never done any of this before regarding price drops, so any tips or insight is appreciated.

Sorry for all the numbers! I'm math illiterate (I was an English major). ;-)

You need to ask your TA what rate you booked. If you booked a rate OTHER than Early Saver and you are already paid in full, then Carnival owes you zilch. Get on the phone to your TA and get some answers.

If she did book you ES rate, are you a past guest? If so, then you can go by that rate listed in the fareviewer. Technically, from what it looks like, that's a GTY cabin (unassigned, you find out later). That would technically be a downgrade which Carnival says they don't allow when booking ES. But several folks on these boards have successfully done so.

Ok, Yes, I am a past guest (it's been a LOOONG time, which is why I'm so clueless).

I just did a fake booking, same category, same deck (with past guest fare). Total price came out to be $1329.88, which is $120 drop!!!

I'm getting on the horn with them asap!

You need to ask your TA what rate you booked. If you booked a rate OTHER than Early Saver and you are already paid in full, then Carnival owes you zilch. Get on the phone to your TA and get some answers.

If she did book you ES rate, are you a past guest? If so, then you can go by that rate listed in the fareviewer. Technically, from what it looks like, that's a GTY cabin (unassigned, you find out later). That would technically be a downgrade which Carnival says they don't allow when booking ES. But several folks on these boards have successfully done so.

Paid in full isn't the the determining factor, it is past final payment deadline.

Ok, Yes, I am a past guest (it's been a LOOONG time, which is why I'm so clueless).

I just did a fake booking, same category, same deck (with past guest fare). Total price came out to be $1329.88, which is $120 drop!!!

the fare viewer does not includes the add on taxes and fees, the bottom line is exactly the same as big duck explained.

Unless you click thru and include the add on taxes and fees, then you are not comparing apples and oranges.

Im betting that they owe you zilch..?? let us know what your ta says. it does confuse people when the port fees, NCF is broken out.

You are only entitled to the price drop *IF* you originally booked ES rate, and you are past the final payment deadline, which it appears that you are.

the fare viewer does not includes the add on taxes and fees, the bottom line is exactly the same as big duck explained.

Unless you click thru and include the add on taxes and fees, then you are not comparing apples and oranges.

Im betting that they owe you zilch..?? let us know what your ta says. it does confuse people when the port fees, NCF is broken out.

Just did a click through fake booking... still $120 below my original total cost. Just shot an email and will follow up with a call in a bit.

Just did a click through fake booking... still $120 below my original total cost. Just shot an email and will follow up with a call in a bit.

You don't go by the *total* amount only the *cruise fare*~that's why its best to use this: http://www.carnival.com/BookingEngine/FareViewer they only give you the price of the cruise not the taxes goverenment fees etc....

You also need to make sure you are comparing the same category that you booked ~~

4S $1338.00

4J $1278.00

4H(Free Upgrade

from 4C) $1208.00

4G (Free Upgrade

from 4B) $1188.00

4F (Free Upgrade

from 4B) $1188.00

4E (Free Upgrade

from 4B) $1188.00

4D (Free Upgrade

from 4B) $1188.00

4C(Free Upgrade

from 4A) $1138.00

4B (Free Upgrade

from 4A) $1138.00

from checking past post from OP looks like she booked April 7th so with ES going away 5 months before it looks like she may have missed the cutoff for ES by a couple of weeks.

Bill

I wish I found all you guys about 3 weeks before I booked. :p

Let us know what the TA says, the other post showed the same bottom line .. if you are past final payment and not ES, then all you can ask for is a upgrade, if there is a category above yours for less.

You don't go by the *total* amount only the *cruise fare*~that's why its best to use this: http://www.carnival.com/BookingEngine/FareViewer they only give you the price of the cruise not the taxes goverenment fees etc....

Hi Allie,

That's where all my confusion came in. The CCL invoice for cruise only is a higher amount than my TA's invoice for cruise only. So I have no idea if I'm comparing apples, oranges, kumquats, or what.

If I had booked direct with CCL, I wouldn't have a problem. There is clearly a price drop there (cruise only).

Let us know what the TA says, the other post showed the same bottom line .. if you are past final payment and not ES, then all you can ask for is a upgrade, if there is a category above yours for less.

Hmmm... I should look into that. We can move to ocean view for $20 more...TOTAL. (I think)

Edited to add: Aft cabins on Main deck (we're currently on Upper, midship).

This is Dream, btw... left out that bit of info.

Archived