Question: Invoice Breakdown CCL vs TA

melli_fera

We're interior, midship, Upper deck (6).

I've never sailed interior before, but the price was right for us at the time of booking.

Im not crazy about all the way aft OVs, but if you can be a little forward, OVs are 220 s.f. vs 185 s.f. inside.

The OV will also have a sofa to sit on instead of a hard desk type chair. $20 total, thats not bad to me.

I have been casually watching price drops, and only recently pulled out my TA invoice and compared it to my CCL invoice. We're in an inside cabin. Here's what I found:

• The total price (including taxes, fees, etc) is the same on both invoices ($1449.88)
  • Cruise cost on TA = $990. Cruise cost on CCL = $1308
  • Port taxes/gvt fees on TA = $459.88. Port taxes/gvt fees on CCL = $141.88

So, According to the fare viewer and my CCL invoice, I'd be eligible for a price drop right now (about $100 :D). But according to my TA invoice, I'm not :(.

Was the TA being sneaky by shifting costs around so that I couldn't claim a price drop in the future?? :eek:

Any thoughts, suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

The ports costs and taxes are the same, Carnival just incorporated the port charges into the cruise fare and your TA didn't. How far out is your cruise? Would you be able to cancel with the TA and rebook with ES? I think your TA just doesn't want to lose anymore commission on the fare and that is why she is saying you aren't eligable.

The ports costs and taxes are the same, Carnival just incorporated the port charges into the cruise fare and your TA didn't. How far out is your cruise? Would you be able to cancel with the TA and rebook with ES? I think your TA just doesn't want to lose anymore commission on the fare and that is why she is saying you aren't eligable.

OP booked after ES was gone. Her cruise is August 27th so she is in penalty phase so she'd lose her deposits.

Bill

Just did a click through fake booking... still $120 below my original total cost. Just shot an email and will follow up with a call in a bit.

Looks like you are booked in a cat 4E if you are the upper deck midship.

Did you book a guarantee and were assigned that cabin or did you specifically book that cabin?

Are you or your friend that is going with you past guest on Carnival?

Bill

While the cruise lines always list the cruise fare and port taxes together, a lot of TA's list the cruise fare seperate from the port taxes and gov't fees. Some of this has to do with the software that TA's use for invoicing, which is also the software they use to calculate their commission. Since TA's are only paid commission on the "cruise fare", that is usally broken out from the total cost. The "out the door" price to their clients is still the same.

For the OP, if you want to compare pricing for price drops, compare the pricing on Carnival's invoice (cruise fare), to the price they are charging now.

Looks like you are booked in a cat 4E if you are the upper deck midship.

Did you book a guarantee and were assigned that cabin or did you specifically book that cabin?

Are you or your friend that is going with you past guest on Carnival?

Bill

Yup, we're category 4E. I believe I chose the cabin with my TA. Both me and my friend are past guests.

Haven't heard from them yet (surprise!), but will have my friend give them a call (she's off work today, and I'm not).

Looks like $170 to me :)

TA should submit price drop for that amount IF you are booked ES. If not, are you past final payment?

If BOTH prices are the same, as she indicated, how do you think she would be entitled to a price drop???

As previously stated, Carnival includes in the price the port fees and other fees, but the invoice from the TA doesn't. Both have to add the government fees.

For those of you who think the TA is being even a little sneaky, he/she is NOT. The agency is showing you the total breakdown whereas Carnival isn't. If you look at just Carnival, why would you expect to get a refund of port charges if a port is missed? No where does it state there were charges for the ports because THEY ARE INCLUDED IN THE TOTAL CRUISE PRICE.

The easiest way to see if there is a price reduction is to add the agents charges for the cruise and port fees. If that total is less on Carnival, then if you are before FP you can get a reduction when making FP, if after and you are booked on ESA you could get an OBC. If you are past FP and no ESA, no price reduction no matter.

Both Carnival and the agency break out the government fees. So, of course they are added to the price. It's easy to figure if you just think about it and use common sense.

so, if I booked past guest, and past guest is lower now, I wouldn't be eligible? (still waiting to find out what rate I booked at).

Yes, you won't be eligible for a price reduction unless you booked ESA and from I have read, you didn't. You may be able to upgrade if there is a higher category for the same price you paid or if it is a higher price, you can pay the additional, but no OBC for a price reduction should one come up.

Yes, you won't be eligible for a price reduction unless you booked ESA and from I have read, you didn't. You may be able to upgrade if there is a higher category for the same price you paid or if it is a higher price, you can pay the additional, but no OBC for a price reduction should one come up.

That's the clearest answer I've gotten yet. :D Thanks!

Still waiting on the TA... We may upgrade to OV.

That's the clearest answer I've gotten yet. :D Thanks!

Still waiting on the TA... We may upgrade to OV.

Since you are both past guest if CCL will go for it there is a 6A available with a free upgrade to category 6M for a total of $1479.88 which is only $30 more than you were paying originally.

Bill

Just got an email from the TA. She said there was a drop of $35 pp, which is 1/2 of what I was figuring. She asked me to send her screen shots and she submitted the paperwork to Carnival for the $120 ($70pp). Said it might take a week for them to respond.

We'll see if this persistence pays off!

I'm sooooo thankful for you CC friends. I would NEVER know about the possibility of price drops if it weren't for you.

Hey Bill, where can I find the category 6M layouts online? I can't find a "6M" in my deck plans in the carnival booklet I have.

Im not bill and dont seem to have provided helpfull answers.. but if you go to cruisedeckplans.com, click on carnival, then your ship.. then over on the right you can click on which decks you want to see. If you click on a particular cabin, the category will show... just run your mouse over the cabin #. It took me a while to figure out just run my mouse over the cabin I wanted to see.

Im still suspecting you arent comparing apples to oranges on your price checking.

Im not bill and dont seem to have provided helpfull answers.. but if you go to cruisedeckplans.com, click on carnival, then your ship.. then over on the right you can click on which decks you want to see. If you click on a particular cabin, the category will show... just run your mouse over the cabin #. It took me a while to figure out just run my mouse over the cabin I wanted to see.

Im still suspecting you arent comparing apples to oranges on your price checking.

Hi Firefly! Thanks for the info! I'm going to check into that and see if that's something worth pursuing. Please don't think you're not helpful... I'm just dumb. :p

Let us know what the TA says, the other post showed the same bottom line .. if you are past final payment and not ES, then all you can ask for is a upgrade, if there is a category above yours for less.

The TA says she's finding a drop in Past Guest rate of $35 pp. I sent her my screen shots, and she submitted for $70 pp and now we wait to see if they'll approve it.

This is so confusing to me. *sigh*

I guess that just means I need to cruise more to understand it all better. :D

The TA says she's finding a drop in Past Guest rate of $35 pp. I sent her my screen shots, and she submitted for $70 pp and now we wait to see if they'll approve it.

This is so confusing to me. *sigh*

I guess that just means I need to cruise more to understand it all better. :D

If you are past final payment .. why would your TA not know that you arent qualified for a price drop.

Maybe Im confused and you are not past final payment.

btw, I dont know my right from my left, the deck plans are on the LEFT.

If you are past final payment .. why would your TA not know that you arent qualified for a price drop. I have no idea. I'm depending on her to know this stuff. :o

Maybe Im confused and you are not past final payment. I am past final payment. We're 66 days out.

I don't know my right from left either!!! I always have to stick my hands out with pointer and thumb to make an "L" for left. ;)

If you are past final payment .. why would your TA not know that you arent qualified for a price drop.

Maybe Im confused and you are not past final payment.

Hi Fire,

She is past final as she cruises August 27th and didnt book until after ES went away so she is not ES so you are right, the TA doesn't seem to know the ES rules.

Looks like the only thing OP can get is an upgrade at this point.

Bill

Archived