Dining at Blu

[QUOTE=Cruisin' Forever!;29981274]My cruise papers have me as late seating... so I guess it's open seating at Blu and late dining in the MDR if I choose to? Still confused...[/QUOTE]

The late seating designation is only a procedural thing, it is totally anytime dining in Blu. The late seating designation has nothing to do with the MDR, they will not have a seat assigned to you there because your dining room is Blu. They will not give you two assigned seats, one in Blu and one in the MDR. If you choose to go to the MDR, you will go as a select diner.

Just found my answer in the earlier postings...thanks....
I booked late seating, so I guess we can just go down a bit sooner and hopefully there will be a table? Still confused....we can opt for open seating in Blu once we get on board?

[quote name='robinlynn']Just found my answer in the earlier postings...thanks....
I booked late seating, so I guess we can just go down a bit sooner and hopefully there will be a table? Still confused....we can opt for open seating in Blu once we get on board?[/QUOTE]

Blu is totally open seating all the time, there are no dining times except they request you to do so the first night. AFter that you go whenever you want, has always been that way.

[quote=Cruisin' Forever!;29971084]Kathy,

Thank you SOOO much! Having these menus makes it so exciting (even if they change for our Silhouette cruise, it still shows the sort of variety we can expect)!

I still think we might opt into Select Dining, but I am still confused about this. I think it's because on RCI, you don't have to pay tips up front whereas on Celebrity, you do? I cruised on Solstice back in '09, and I can't remember if I did this or not (I probably did... I over tip generally and forget about it. I was a waiter in a past life, so I appreciate their efforts! :)) I would like to have the option to eat in the MDR at least once... I think S class MDRs are gorgeous (yes, I'm the one) and the food fantastic (yes, that's me, too- lol). Is Select Dining a set cost? How much is it per day? I'm on a 12 nt cruise.

One of the things we loved on Solstice was the ample breads and spreads on the tables in the MDR... unheard of on RCI ships... does Blu have rolls/breads/spreads on the table, too?

Thanks,
Paul[/quote]

Hi Paul. You are so welcome.

Dining in Blu can be confusing. It used to be if you chose "select dining" when you booked the cruise, they removed you from dining in Blu all together and assigned you to the main dining room, and you had to prepay your tips. They have since changed this policy and ask that you just pick a time when you book the cruise early or late even though dining in Blu is totally select dining (anytime you want to go). Is that clear as mud? I would leave your booking as is, because you will be select dining anyway. You are not restricted to dining in Blu, and can dine in the MDR or anywhere else for that matter. If you choose to dine in the MDR you will be on their select dining option, space available basis (no charge for this).

You will receive a card in your room when you board asking you to come to Blu the first night only at your appointed dining time so they can get a feel on how many people will be dining at that time.

The first night in Blu is filet mignon and it is very good. The last formal night is lobster tails and not the lobster medley you get in the MDR so it's better as well. Yes there is bread and butter on the table in Blu. The breakfast is really good there too. If you like museli, they have a cart they wheel around to the tables and make it for you table side.

You do not have to make reservations in Blu.

You can request items that are not on Blu's menu such as shrimp cocktail, caesar's salad, creme brulee, and they will usually do their best to get it for you.

We travel with a large group of friends and on our last cruise only one other couple sailed in Aqua Class like we did. We wanted to dine in both Blu and the MDR (pick one or the other) and that's what we did. I think we had 2 or 3 nights in Blu a couple of nights in the MDR and a couple of nights specialty restaurants.

I know others wonder why book Aqua if you don't wish to dine in Blu. It's simple. Aqua class is better than Concierge Class, you get the extra cruise credit, free relaxation room and persian gardens, awesome shower, and on my cruise it was actually cheaper than CC.

Robin I don't know who told you that Blu is not open seating because it is. You will not have a problem getting a table whenever you show up to eat. We never, ever had a wait, dinner or breakfast.

[quote name='robinlynn']I was told there was no open dining in Blu, only early and late seating.....anyone know anything different?

Thanks, Robin[/QUOTE]

Blu does not have early and late seating; it is 100% open dining.

[quote name='kitkat9438']Hi Paul. You are so welcome.

Dining in Blu can be confusing. It used to be if you chose "select dining" when you booked the cruise, they removed you from dining in Blu all together and assigned you to the main dining room, and you had to prepay your tips. They have since changed this policy and ask that you just pick a time when you book the cruise early or late even though dining in Blu is totally select dining (anytime you want to go). Is that clear as mud? I would leave your booking as is, because you will be select dining anyway. You are not restricted to dining in Blu, and can dine in the MDR or anywhere else for that matter. If you choose to dine in the MDR you will be on their select dining option, space available basis (no charge for this).

You will receive a card in your room when you board asking you to come to Blu the first night only at your appointed dining time so they can get a feel on how many people will be dining at that time.

The first night in Blu is filet mignon and it is very good. The last formal night is lobster tails and not the lobster medley you get in the MDR so it's better as well. Yes there is bread and butter on the table in Blu. The breakfast is really good there too. If you like museli, they have a cart they wheel around to the tables and make it for you table side.

You do not have to make reservations in Blu.

You can request items that are not on Blu's menu such as shrimp cocktail, caesar's salad, creme brulee, and they will usually do their best to get it for you.

We travel with a large group of friends and on our last cruise only one other couple sailed in Aqua Class like we did. We wanted to dine in both Blu and the MDR (pick one or the other) and that's what we did. I think we had 2 or 3 nights in Blu a couple of nights in the MDR and a couple of nights specialty restaurants.

I know others wonder why book Aqua if you don't wish to dine in Blu. It's simple. Aqua class is better than Concierge Class, you get the extra cruise credit, free relaxation room and persian gardens, awesome shower, and on my cruise it was actually cheaper than CC.

Robin I don't know who told you that Blu is not open seating because it is. You will not have a problem getting a table whenever you show up to eat. We never, ever had a wait, dinner or breakfast.[/QUOTE]
Hi Kathy,

I do not believe one receives any extra cruise credits when booking an Aqua stateroom over a Concierge Class stateroom. See below from Celebrity site.

Three Ways to Earn Tier Credits per Sailing

Credits Earned

Sailing with Celebrity Cruises® = 1 Credit

Sailing on itineraries 12 nights or more (including Cruisetours) = 1 Credit

Sailing in a Concierge Class, AquaClass®, or Suite Stateroom = 1 Credit

Total Available per Sailing = 3 credits

Just a quick question- since soups and salads are listed together instead of separately, is this an attempt to discourage pax from ordering one of each? We generally do like to have both soup and a salad but if it's not appropriate to order both, we won't.

[quote name='SusieV']Just a quick question- since soups and salads are listed together instead of separately, is this an attempt to discourage pax from ordering one of each? We generally do like to have both soup and a salad but if it's not appropriate to order both, we won't.[/quote]

I don't know if it's an attempt to limit ordering but we also like to have both and have never had a problem with ordering...nobody looked at us funny or acted as though it was wrong....we like to have a nice leisurely dinner....and enjoy the different courses, even if we don't eat everything on the plate....enjoy!!!

Thanks for all for the information on Blu's seating. I like the later seating, but there will be a few nights where we would actually like to see the shows, and a 8:45 dining time makes that pretty dicey. When we were on the Solstice 2 years ago, we also had late dining in Blu, and only saw one show.....This open seating seating makes things a lot easier....

Robin

[quote name='Poconolady']I have read a number of posts that state that the breakfasts in Blu are awesome. Other than the musilix cart, what is served? Is it continental or do they do a full menu? Can you get eggs bendict?[/quote]

A full breakfast menu is offered in Blu. I don't remember if Eggs
Benedict is on the menu but it is way more than a continental
breakfast.

[quote name='Poconolady']I have read a number of posts that state that the breakfasts in Blu are awesome. Other than the musilix cart, what is served? Is it continental or do they do a full menu? Can you get eggs bendict?[/QUOTE]
in may 2010 on solstice we were aqua and ate in blu. they make an omlette that you can choose great things, sun dried tomatoes, asparagus, etc. blu is great. we will be there again in dec. ad

Thanks Kathy for the menus and fellow CCrs for your valuable input!

we are going on our first Celebrity cruise next year in AquaClass and, as usual, this site has been a wealth of information.

The menus look great, I guess I can forgo my escargots....sigh

Jo

No need to forgo escargot!!!!!!!! We asked our waiter the first night if it was possible to get them the next night and he said absolutely it would be waiting on us. Every night after that they asked if we wanted the escargot! Yummm!!! Just ask.:D

[quote name='TNhome']No need to forgo escargot!!!!!!!! We asked our waiter the first night if it was possible to get them the next night and he said absolutely it would be waiting on us. Every night after that they asked if we wanted the escargot! Yummm!!! Just ask.:D[/quote]

great! you made my day!

[quote name='RLO944']Hi Kathy,

I do not believe one receives any extra cruise credits when booking an Aqua stateroom over a Concierge Class stateroom. See below from Celebrity site.

Three Ways to Earn Tier Credits per Sailing

Credits Earned

Sailing with Celebrity Cruises® = 1 Credit

Sailing on itineraries 12 nights or more (including Cruisetours) = 1 Credit

Sailing in a Concierge Class, AquaClass®, or Suite Stateroom = 1 Credit

Total Available per Sailing = 3 credits[/quote]

Sorry, I guess it was confusing how I worded it, I was just explaining that the benefits of Aqua were better than CC or other cabins, and included an extra cruise credit as well as the other perks (not extra over CC).

[quote name='jodi58']Thanks Kathy for the menus and fellow CCrs for your valuable input!

we are going on our first Celebrity cruise next year in AquaClass and, as usual, this site has been a wealth of information.

The menus look great, I guess I can forgo my escargots....sigh

Jo[/quote]

All you have to do is ask. I LOVE creme brulee and it's not on the menu. However, they were more than willing to get it for me.

One evening we dined in the MDR with our other friends and my friend who was also in Aqua requested something she wanted off the Blu menu. They were able to get it for her, no problem. I don't know if this was because we had a super waiter or she was just very persuasive. :D

Love, Love, Celebrity. They really are all about making sure you have a wonderful cruise experience. Customer service is the best.

[quote name='robinlynn']Thanks for all for the information on Blu's seating. I like the later seating, but there will be a few nights where we would actually like to see the shows, and a 8:45 dining time makes that pretty dicey. When we were on the Solstice 2 years ago, we also had late dining in Blu, and only saw one show.....This open seating seating makes things a lot easier....

Robin[/quote]

Robin, no worries, if you dine late, they have a 7:00 show for you most nights.

[quote name='kitkat9438']All you have to do is ask. I LOVE creme brulee and it's not on the menu. However, they were more than willing to get it for me.

One evening we dined in the MDR with our other friends and my friend who was also in Aqua requested something she wanted off the Blu menu. They were able to get it for her, no problem. I don't know if this was because we had a super waiter or she was just very persuasive. :D

Love, Love, Celebrity. They really are all about making sure you have a wonderful cruise experience. Customer service is the best.[/quote]

I also love creme brulee and I was pleased to note that it was one of the deserts available every night in the MDR on Eclipse this summer.

We are Elite and also AQ -- for the first time -- on our upcoming cruise. We normally go to Michael's Club for a light breakfast and enjoy the complimentary coffees and OJ. However, breakfast sounds wonderful in BLU. Does anyone know if they serve complimentary coffees and OJ in BLU? Thank you.

[quote name='gillyE']We are Elite and also AQ -- for the first time -- on our upcoming cruise. We normally go to Michael's Club for a light breakfast and enjoy the complimentary coffees and OJ. However, breakfast sounds wonderful in BLU. Does anyone know if they serve complimentary coffees and OJ in BLU? Thank you.[/QUOTE]

Complimentary fresh squeezed juice and fruit smoothies in Blu, but no free espresso based coffees. They do have regular coffee though.

Archived