Port of NY Parking

shady

There is plenty of parking available - either right next to your ship, or a few docks over. Just be careful - if you miss the turn-off to the parking, you have to circle waaaay around to get back again. DH did this by accident, and it took him 20 minutes to circle around to the entrance again!

Are there porters in the parking lot to take your luggage or do you drop your luggage off first, then park?

you can stop first and give your bags to the porter..but do not be misled by anyone...they are port employees and will be expecting a good tip...like $5 per bag...trust me...and while not everyone will tip that amount that is considered almost a requirement...and as far as I am concerned..well spent...

that being said...I did it once and tipped them well and my luggage did make the ship...but then...

I realized how stupid it was to drop off the luggage...just drive up to the parking..and park..or drop off your companion at the curb in the lot with the luggage and go and park and walk back...

The elevators are enormous and since every picec of luggage built has wheels...just roll it behind you...and check it in yourself.....in the terminal

you can stop first and give your bags to the porter..but do not be misled by anyone...they are port employees and will be expecting a good tip...like $5 per bag...trust me...and while not everyone will tip that amount that is considered almost a requirement...and as far as I am concerned..well spent...

that being said...I did it once and tipped them well and my luggage did make the ship...but then...

I realized how stupid it was to drop off the luggage...just drive up to the parking..and park..or drop off your companion at the curb in the lot with the luggage and go and park and walk back...

The elevators are enormous and since every picec of luggage built has wheels...just roll it behind you...and check it in yourself.....in the terminal

Interesting. I always thought you had to give your luggage to the porters. Where do you go to drop it off yourself?

Is it cash up front or can you use a credit card?

We used a credit card last summer, but better check - it may have changed. We used our "vacation" credit card - this is a card we use only when we travel, so we can keep an eye on any weird charges that may show up later.

Interesting. I always thought you had to give your luggage to the porters. Where do you go to drop it off yourself?

you drive up the ramp to the lot..pay the man in the booth..cash or credit card..then about 10 feet past that the security guard and his dog will ask you to pull to the side and have you open the trunk and the dog will sniff around...once all is well the guard will say that you can pull up near the curb..a few more feet ahead of you...and drop off your luggage and passengers..if you want...and then just you can go and find a spot.

What we do is after security we just drive to a space and park and then roll the luggage to the huge elevators..but we pack lightly and are nimble. Whichever plan works for you is what you will do of course.

After you ride down the 2 flights in the huge elevator you will be directed to theterminal and can go thru the actual boarding security with the xray and metal detectors....as you are being directed to this area there will be men and women also telling you where you can drop off your luggage.

Of course we have only been doing carryon lately...so we say..no thanks we only have carry on...but larger pieces of luggage will have to be checked at this point...and at this point there is no need for a tip...the tip is for the service of taking you luggage from the car..putting a tag on it..and bringing it to the check in point......which you can do yourself if you are capable as I just described.

as an fyi...when we travel now we have all..the 6 of us..come to the realization that if we are not flying..those well made 21" rolling carry ons are fabulous and fit everything..and we each roll our own now that the family is a little older..

If we fly..we usually check 1 cross packed piece of luggage with the liquids..shoes..bulky items...etc..

and carry on 3 or 4 of the above mentioned roll ons.....this way we don't have to worry about liquids and the clothes we check are not the most important anyway....and the roll ons do the trick perfectly and should the luggage be diverted...we are still good to go

Just remember that some posters here have said that when it is busy in port that you may have to park in a lot a little bit away from your ship...like at the next dock..and walk to your ship....this is not as big a deal as some make it out to be as NYC port is rather compact..like everything is in NYC..and there are no vast expanses of land that you will have to walk..like at Port Canaveral's dock....maybe 2 city blocks at most..and you will be on a sidewalk..and I believe there is a fence between you and traffic...this is no problem..even with luggage..if this occurs.

they make sure that is what you think..and that is why they agressively wave you over to the curb to drop off your luggage with the porters...so you can tip them!!!

They all work together on this ..but of course they do provide a service for those that require or want it....but after you see the layout of the parking and the terminal..you will realize..like we did..that you can certainly do it yourself.

Does the ship dock in the same spot every time? Does anyone have any pictures of the parking lot? Just trying to get an idea of how big it is? Any suggestions on what time I should get there?

Does the ship dock in the same spot every time? Does anyone have any pictures of the parking lot? Just trying to get an idea of how big it is? Any suggestions on what time I should get there?

get there between 10 and 11 am///but others will say you can get a spot later....but of course then you miss a day on the ship

There is plenty of parking available - either right next to your ship, or a few docks over. Just be careful - if you miss the turn-off to the parking, you have to circle waaaay around to get back again. DH did this by accident, and it took him 20 minutes to circle around to the entrance again!

I did the same thing the first time I parked there also. The turn is hard to find. For my last cruise in June, I took the LIE to the GCP to the Triboro ummm I mean the RFK Bridge and then to the West Side Hwy. It was so much easier. It may have been 10 minutes longer than going through mid-town but was a lot less stress.

Thanks very much. It doesn't look that big.

Not sure if it's more than one level, but I know that's only a portion of it. When we sailed on the Miracle we had the same view of the pier parking as the Glory was docked right next to us. You should go to that link and ask them in their review. Gotta love CC for all the up-to-date info.. complete with photos.

Have a great time :)

Thanks very much. It doesn't look that big.

The pics are from my review, there is tons of parking, although I got to the pier at 10 am or so. we parked by the 4th light pole from the entrance. it looks a lot smaller in the pics it is quite large

Archived