Promenade Cabin

I was in a deck 7 promenade room on the Liberty and it was noisy during the parades (at least 2 nights of the cruise). On embarkation day, I woke up early with little sleep the night before and drove 6+ hours to board the ship. Needless to say, I was exhausted the first night and went to sleep fairly early. I was peeved when I got woken up several times to the thudding base drums of the parade. I am also not a fuddy-duddy (I'm in my twenties) but I just don't like being woken up in the middle of the night on my vacation. :(

I've since stayed in a regular inside room. I definitely recommend that over a promenade cabin. Besides the noise, I also didn't like looking out of my promenade window directly into the room across the promenade. The rooms aren't staggered so you can easily see directly into the promendade room across from you. We pretty much kept the curtains closed the whole time because of this so I didn't feel the extra money was worth it.

I also didn't like the room arrangement. With other interior rooms, the bed is usually parallel to the door (facing it) making the room feel larger. With a promenade room, you have to walk around the bed to the common sitting area which is in front of the window making the room feel much smaller.

We have had 3 Promenade rooms (Mariner, Explorer, and Adventure) all on deck 8 in the middle of the promenade. We LOVE these rooms. Never had any issues with noise, except during parades (usually 2 on a 7 day cruise).

The rooms are slightly larger than an inside cabin and the window also makes it seem much roomier. The drapes are heavy and block out any/all light from the promenade.

Just remember to close those drapes when changing or you friends across the promenade will get a show :D

I tried my first PR on the Navigator recently. Noise was not an issue, but the only time we actually used the window was the first afternoon while waiting for our luggage. We are rarely in the cabin except to sleep and get ready to go out, so we kept the drapes closed almost all of the time. If I had kids with me who needed to be entertained while I was busy, I would try it again, but for just the two of us, it was just a waste.

I was in a deck 7 promenade room on the Liberty and it was noisy during the parades (at least 2 nights of the cruise). On embarkation day, I woke up early with little sleep the night before and drove 6+ hours to board the ship. Needless to say, I was exhausted the first night and went to sleep fairly early. I was peeved when I got woken up several times to the thudding base drums of the parade. I am also not a fuddy-duddy (I'm in my twenties) but I just don't like being woken up in the middle of the night on my vacation. :(

I've since stayed in a regular inside room. I definitely recommend that over a promenade cabin. Besides the noise, I also didn't like looking out of my promenade window directly into the room across the promenade. The rooms aren't staggered so you can easily see directly into the promendade room across from you. We pretty much kept the curtains closed the whole time because of this so I didn't feel the extra money was worth it.

I also didn't like the room arrangement. With other interior rooms, the bed is usually parallel to the door (facing it) making the room feel larger. With a promenade room, you have to walk around the bed to the common sitting area which is in front of the window making the room feel much smaller.

Totally agree,the window seat makes the room much smaller, barely room to walk at the end of the bed. Worst room we ever had on a cruise.:eek:

We had a deck 6 PR on the Freedom last summer on an inside guarantee fare. Our room was at the back end, directly over Guest Relations. We occasionally heard Latin music from Boleros, two decks down. However, I'm a light sleeper and didn't have a problem with it at all. In fact, we rebooked the neighboring stateroom for our next trip on the Freedom. The proximity to the stairs/elevator was delightful!!

Totally agree,the window seat makes the room much smaller, barely room to walk at the end of the bed. Worst room we ever had on a cruise.:eek:

Sorry to disagree, but you get a love seat and the window seat, a large window, and a few extra square feet .. all make the room seem larger than a normal inside.

Hi,

Had PR 6603 NOS recently (only because I grabbed

a last-minute deal and got same price as an inside cabin).

But, it wasn't bad. Noise not a problem. Great location by

the aft elevators on deck 6, port side.

However 6603 is too far back to see parades but didn't care about

parades anyway. If traveling with kids, it maybe better to book

half way down for a better view, as previous poster suggested.

On NOS we prefer hump area location on deck 6. The RCI PVP calls it

'the curve'...nice touch.

I am OK with inside cabin, wife likes balcony or aft balcony

so we booked 6618 upcoming NOS.

PRs are OK. I wouldn't pay too much extra though.

Have fun.

:cool:

We had Promenade room on the Freedom- We never had a noise problem- We kept the drapes closed most of the time-only to peak out a few times..

Don't remember if we got a good deal on the room or not-That's been three years ago which seems longer.

I'm another Promenade cabin lover! You can see my review with pictures for more details (see my sig for the link: Freedom), but here are some general thoughts:

The only noise we heard was during the parades or parties. It was a bass thump noise and always over by 11'ish.

The beds are in the middle of the room - you will have limited space to walk around them, but you'll have the love seat and the window seat in your seating area. Love the spaciousness of that!

The window is great to people watch. Go more mid ship if you want a great view of the parades. We were more forward and saw them just fine.

Connecting cabins are noisy. I would avoid them unless you know the person you're sharing it with.

Freedom class PR cabins are larger than Voyager class PR cabins.

Deck 8 cabins have windows which are slanted outwards so you can view the promenade easier. Windows do not open.

Hope this helps.

I have been in a PR above the bar (on the adventure) and we did get noise from the singer as well as the parades. I think the snoring I could hear through the connecting door was more bothersome as it didn't stop at about midnight.

I did love the concept of the PRs and have booked them for my upcoming cruise - just near to the library and no connecting doors this time

I'm another Promenade cabin lover! You can see my review with pictures for more details (see my sig for the link: Freedom), but here are some general thoughts:

The only noise we heard was during the parades or parties. It was a bass thump noise and always over by 11'ish.

The beds are in the middle of the room - you will have limited space to walk around them, but you'll have the love seat and the window seat in your seating area. Love the spaciousness of that!

The window is great to people watch. Go more mid ship if you want a great view of the parades. We were more forward and saw them just fine.

Connecting cabins are noisy. I would avoid them unless you know the person you're sharing it with.

Freedom class PR cabins are larger than Voyager class PR cabins.

Deck 8 cabins have windows which are slanted outwards so you can view the promenade easier. Windows do not open.

Hope this helps.

;)We are sailing on Navigator of the Seas in Feb 2012 and we have a PR room! Looking forward to it! ;)

Really don't have the money for a balcony at this time and we love the fact that we have a window over looking the Promenade and having 2 seatings!

For all of you saying this would be a great room if you have kids, these rooms only hold up to 2 people, BUT the connecting rooms would be great if your kids are older!

I think it is worth a try! It has to be better than an inside room, my opinion anyway! Cheaper than an oceanview and not that much more than an inside room!

Happy Sailing everyone!!!! :D

Sorry to disagree, but you get a love seat and the window seat, a large window, and a few extra square feet .. all make the room seem larger than a normal inside.
When one sits on the window seat and one sits on the loveseat you can touch knees but don't try to stretch both pairs of legs out.:eek:

All but one of our RCCL cruises have been in Promenade Cabins. They are the main reason that we will only cruise on the ships that have them. We love to people watch and always choose the rooms on the 6th floor that overlook the Promenade Cafe. I sometimes don't sleep well and it's amazing to see how many people are up and around at 3AM. If we have a few minutes before dinner, I can sit in my window seat and check out what's going on.

DON'T get a room that is above one of the pubs. I've been told that there is music that goes on late at night and IF you're on the 6th floor then you could possibly hear some thumping! Another reason we choose the rooms that we do. As long as you're above retail shops, you're fine. I wouldn't get an 8th floor room......6th or 7th is better. IF you get 7th or above the pubs probably wouldn't be an issue since you have a floor between them.

Noise wise we have had no problems except for one cruise when it was raining and they moved one of the festivities into the Promenade. RCCL is very good about not going past the time they give for something to go on. Almost to the minute, it was over. It wasn't really loud but you could hear it. Other than that you can hear the parades.......that's fine.........I watch them from my room while everyone else is trying to see down below!

You'll LOVE them! :)

All but one of our RCCL cruises have been in Promenade Cabins. They are the main reason that we will only cruise on the ships that have them. We love to people watch and always choose the rooms on the 6th floor that overlook the Promenade Cafe. I sometimes don't sleep well and it's amazing to see how many people are up and around at 3AM. If we have a few minutes before dinner, I can sit in my window seat and check out what's going on.

DON'T get a room that is above one of the pubs. I've been told that there is music that goes on late at night and IF you're on the 6th floor then you could possibly hear some thumping! Another reason we choose the rooms that we do. As long as you're above retail shops, you're fine. I wouldn't get an 8th floor room......6th or 7th is better. IF you get 7th or above the pubs probably wouldn't be an issue since you have a floor between them.

Noise wise we have had no problems except for one cruise when it was raining and they moved one of the festivities into the Promenade. RCCL is very good about not going past the time they give for something to go on. Almost to the minute, it was over. It wasn't really loud but you could hear it. Other than that you can hear the parades.......that's fine.........I watch them from my room while everyone else is trying to see down below!

You'll LOVE them! :)

We booked room 6557 that is accross from the Cafe Promendade. It was only 10 more than a inside, so we are really excited. I love going for coffee early so I think I will enjoy that location, not far to go for my coffee before the sun comes up!!!!

I'm agreeing that they can seem a bit tighter than a inside and even more so than a balcony - but you're not paying for a balcony. It's like having a inside with a view as far as price goes.

We liked the cabin and would do them again. Parade noice - Yes. Daytime activity loudspeaker noice - yes. But there's nothing like taking an afternoon nap on the bow window seat. (I'm tall, too)

We booked a B2B on Navigator in the promenade. I read so many great things about them here. It was the worst mistake we ever made. Deck 7 mid-promenade. All PR rooms are not created equal. You won't know until you get your room if yours is one with a speaker built into the window seat. Speakers are placed all along the promenade but not in every room. At 6am every morning the music was turned on and I woke to the sound of the bass thumping into the room.

I immediately asked them if they could please not turn on the music so early. They didn't seem to have control over that. A nice guest services man who was in training to be the substitute concierge asked the guest services manager to call me. I explained to her that I took full responsibility for the poor room choice but asked if she could please move me to a quieter interior room. She said she'd see what she could do for the following cruise. She moved us across the hall to a balcony room. And she gave us $50 each off of a future cruise. I never was mean about it and I actually apologized to them for complaining about a room I picked. Maybe that's why they were so nice.

Our friends who joined us for the next cruise asked told us on the second morning that they couldn't believe how loud the music was in their PR room first thing in the morning. :eek: I had mentioned nothing about having been in the room next door to them the cruise prior to their arrival.

If the room was quiet, I'd never book a room like that again. The bed over by the bathroom area DOES make the room seem smaller. Walking past the foot of the bed and trying to do it with 2 people in the room is not an ideal set up - and we are thin. We greatly prefer to have the open living area between the bathroom and the bed. This keeps us out of each other's way especially while we are trying to get ready for dinner.

Parades don't last long. It's not worth the PR view for a parade. You might as well go to the parade and have a better room.

We booked a B2B on Navigator in the promenade. I read so many great things about them here. It was the worst mistake we ever made. Deck 7 mid-promenade. All PR rooms are not created equal. You won't know until you get your room if yours is one with a speaker built into the window seat. Speakers are placed all along the promenade but not in every room. At 6am every morning the music was turned on and I woke to the sound of the bass thumping into the room.

I immediately asked them if they could please not turn on the music so early. They didn't seem to have control over that. A nice guest services man who was in training to be the substitute concierge asked the guest services manager to call me. I explained to her that I took full responsibility for the poor room choice but asked if she could please move me to a quieter interior room. She said she'd see what she could do for the following cruise. She moved us across the hall to a balcony room. And she gave us $50 each off of a future cruise. I never was mean about it and I actually apologized to them for complaining about a room I picked. Maybe that's why they were so nice.

Our friends who joined us for the next cruise asked told us on the second morning that they couldn't believe how loud the music was in their PR room first thing in the morning. :eek: I had mentioned nothing about having been in the room next door to them the cruise prior to their arrival.

If the room was quiet, I'd never book a room like that again. The bed over by the bathroom area DOES make the room seem smaller. Walking past the foot of the bed and trying to do it with 2 people in the room is not an ideal set up - and we are thin. We greatly prefer to have the open living area between the bathroom and the bed. This keeps us out of each other's way especially while we are trying to get ready for dinner.

Parades don't last long. It's not worth the PR view for a parade. You might as well go to the parade and have a better room.

Wow - didn't know about the speakers! Wasn't out experience on the Freedom and we had 4 connecting/ adjoining cabins in a row. Makes me wonder if they changed the design on the Freedom class or if we were just lucky? At any rate, thanks for sharing, and congrats on the upgrade. :)

Archived