HAL or NCL?

haggis_10000

My DW wants to take our daughter aged 24 and son and 22 on a cruise so that we can celebrate her 50th Birthday. We have been on one celebrity cruise to date and and booked for July 2012.

We believe that X would be too formal for them and does not offer sufficient activities on sea days or in the evenings.

As we haven't sailed with HAL or NCL would appreciate you Honest opinions

Thanks

Steve

I think you need to choose NCL if you think Celebrity is "too formal". HAL seems to rank even higher in that regard, though many of us prefer her just for that very quality. This might not work for what you are looking for with this combined generation cruise.

Why not let your children browse the various cruise line websites and see if they register a preference. They may surprise you choosing the one with the most onboard feeling of cruise traditions. (Or not!)

How long is your cruise and how many at sea days are at stake. Many itineraries have only a very few at sea days. Ships seem to pump up sea day activities because they know everyone will be happier on those days with more activities to choose from if they don't want to just be lazy outdoors and watch the world go by.

We've cruised both NCL and HAL. We didn't find a lot of difference, but I think NCL offered more activities than HAL. This was fine for us but may not be what would appeal to young folks. HAL was a little more formal, but we saw people each evening in casual dress on both lines. On formal night more NCL passengers remained in casual clothes, but among those who dressed up, dressiness was about the same. We found that food and service were comparable in spite of what others will tell you. We choose based on itinerary and price.

My DW wants to take our daughter aged 24 and son and 22 on a cruise so that we can celebrate her 50th Birthday. We have been on one celebrity cruise to date and and booked for July 2012.

We believe that X would be too formal for them and does not offer sufficient activities on sea days or in the evenings.

Thanks

Steve

We are in our late 50's and last year took our adult children, then 22 and 27 on a Med. cruise to celebrate my son's graduation from college. Up to that point we had sailed HAL six times.

After researching all the options, and taking into account intinerary and fares, we chose Royal Caribbean. I was afraid HAL would be too sedate for the "kids", even after long days of sightseeing (they are young after all!). On sea days Royal Caribbean offered more action: a sports deck with mini-golf, rock-climbing and more. There was definitely more activities and music around the pool that interested them. And at night time, the ship was still hopping way past midnight.

IMO the food was not as good as on HAL, but the service was even better. In fact, I can say unequivocably that our MDR wait staff was significantly better than anything we experienced on our HAL cruises.

I'm so glad that we chose RCI over HAL for that cruise. I would definitely recommend another cruise line over HAL for traveling with that age group.

We are in our late 50's and last year took our adult children, then 22 and 27 on a Med. cruise to celebrate my son's graduation from college. ........... In fact, I can say unequivocably that our MDR wait staff was significantly better than anything we experienced on our HAL cruises.

I'm so glad that we chose RCI over HAL for that cruise. I would definitely recommend another cruise line over HAL for traveling with that age group.

Uh, .................... was your other child a young lady perchance? :p ;)

(Stepping right into this one!)

Steve, I am and always will be a big HAL fan but almost 2 years ago we took our son who was 30 (trust me he still acts and looks early 20's and is single) at the time on a two day cruise to no where on the NCL Star. We had a blast. He and I danced up in Spinnakers Lounge each night. It was probably one of the best long weekends we ever had. We have since just DH and I gone on the NCL Pearl. I have to say that we did more things every night and were out and about enjoying the entainment more on NCL than we ever do on a HAL ship. I personally think with a 24 and 22 year old young adult children I would choose NCL. If you select a Suite category and Dine in NCL's speciality restaurants every night you will have a premium experience with entertainment for everyone. While I love HAL I think NCL will work better and give more options for the young adults.

We are in our late 50's and last year took our adult children, then 22 and 27 on a Med. cruise to celebrate my son's graduation from college. Up to that point we had sailed HAL six times.

After researching all the options, and taking into account intinerary and fares, we chose Royal Caribbean. I was afraid HAL would be too sedate for the "kids", even after long days of sightseeing (they are young after all!). On sea days Royal Caribbean offered more action: a sports deck with mini-golf, rock-climbing and more. There was definitely more activities and music around the pool that interested them. And at night time, the ship was still hopping way past midnight.

IMO the food was not as good as on HAL, but the service was even better. In fact, I can say unequivocably that our MDR wait staff was significantly better than anything we experienced on our HAL cruises.

For activities yes, Royal Caribbean is a better choice for the younger adults beyond HAL or NCL. If the choice is only HAL or NCL then NCL will have the more active evening. HAL will be much nicer in decor and over cruise experience. IMHO of course.

The activity level on an NCL cruise is significantly higher in the evenings than on HAL. We are in our 60's and have had pleasant evenings on HAL and fun on NCL. In our experience it is simply quieter on HAL...in the cabins, by the pool, at the different entertainment venues... YMMV

Both HAL and NCL have dress codes.

This information is taken from the cruise lines' own websites:

HAL dress code

"Daily life aboard ship and in ports of call is relaxed and casual. Warmer climates call for clothing made of lightweight, breathable fabrics. For cooler climates, we suggest casual clothes that can be layered easily and possibly a raincoat and waterproof hat or umbrella and gloves. Certain shore excursions may require particular attention to clothing. For example, certain churches or other places of worship may not allow tank tops or short pants. Bring a swimsuit as all of our ships have pools and whirlpools. You may wish to bring more than one outfit for the water. We ask that you wear shoes and a cover-up over a bathing suit when walking through the interior of the ship. If you would like to jog on the sports deck or work out in the fitness center, bring workout gear. Footwear should include comfortable walking shoes for visits ashore and sandals or rubber-soled shoes for strolling on deck.

Evening dress falls into two distinct categories: Formal or Smart Casual. Smart Casual can be defined as slacks and collared shirts for men and casual dresses, slacks and informal evening wear for women. T-shirts, swimsuits, tank tops and shorts are not allowed in the restaurants or public areas during the evening hours. On festive Formal evenings, ladies usually wear a suit, cocktail dress or gown and gentlemen wear a jacket and tie, dark suit or tuxedo. There are approximately two formal nights per week.

In order to complement your fellow guests, Holland America Line asks that you observe the suggested dress code throughout the entire evening.

Formalwear for ladies and gentlemen can be pre-ordered for your use during your cruise by calling Cruiseline Formalwear at 800-551-5091 or make your reservations online. Your formalwear will be in your stateroom when you board."

NCL dress code

"Freestyle Cruising® is not too dressy, not too casual. In fact, you’ll find that there are really only two types of attire you’ll need.

Dress cruise casual anytime during the day, in the buffet and in most specialty restaurants. For women, it includes summer and casual dresses, skirts, regular or capri pants, shorts, jeans and tops. Khakis, jeans, shorts and casual shirts are fine for men. Swimwear is acceptable at the buffet and outdoor restaurant, but a shirt or a cover-up and footwear are required. Cruise casual is also allowed day and night on embarkation day.

Wear smart casual if you are eating dinner in the Aft Main Dining Room (our more formal Dining Room) and in Le Bistro, on cruises that are more than five days long. For women, it includes slacks or jeans, dresses, skirts and tops. For men, it’s jeans or slacks with a collared shirt and closed-toed shoes. Traditional Bermuda shorts along with long socks, loafers and a blazer are all acceptable during a Bermuda cruise.

We want you to be comfortable, but tank tops for men, flip flops, baseball caps, visors and jeans that are overly faded, with holes or tears and worn below the hips are not permitted in any of our main dining rooms or specialty restaurants. Kids 12 and under are welcome to wear nice shorts in all our restaurants. You may want to pack a sweater too—air conditioning can be chilly."

People here will point out - correctly - some HAL cruisers scoff/ignore the HAL dress code. Others will point out - correctly - some NCL cruisers dress up as much/more than HAL cruisers, without there being designated formal nights on NCL ships.

Despite that - the reason I think those 2 pages are worth quoting? What a cruise line says *about itself* is worth reading when you're trying to decide which one fits you better.

If you select a Suite category and Dine in NCL's speciality restaurants every night you will have a premium experience with entertainment for everyone. While I love HAL I think NCL will work better and give more options for the young adults.[/size]

First thanks for all your comments. I think it could be NCL for 2014 and HAL for 2013:D

LAFFNVEGAS - just one question - If we chose a suite would all four of us be able to fit in comfortably

Steve

NCL dress code

........ You may want to pack a sweater too—air conditioning can be chilly."

OMG, you mean other ships don't have perfect A/C, not just HAL? :confused:;)

First thanks for all your comments. I think it could be NCL for 2014 and HAL for 2013:D

LAFFNVEGAS - just one question - If we chose a suite would all four of us be able to fit in comfortably

Steve

The three lowest prices categories for most NCL ships that accomodate 4 passengers are aft cabins that are category SF and I think they are just ever so slightly smaller than a full suite on HAL yet slightly larger than a Superior Vernadah suite on HAL, then there are the forward cabins category SE. depending on the ship some of these cabins are quite a bit larger. Then there is the Two bedroom family Suites these are category SC. These are quite large.

Depending on the itinerary you are looking at there are some excellent prices for 3rd and 4th passengers for NCL suites plus NCL is offering extra Ship Board Credit for Suites booked in 2012.

I agree completely, we are 30 & 32, & RCCL has the best service, hands down. No question.

BUT, HAL's food, Tamarind & Canaletto *Free*, bath tubs in most cabins, retreat cabanas, wine policy, High Tea, Eastern Carrib. Schedule (Grand Turk, Crown Bay (St Thomas) & HMC) and romantic amenites have won me over COMPLETELY. When the above is so important, its hard to go back to RCCL. The minute I think of the above, its off the table.

I DO miss RCCL MDR service that was fantastic from the smallest ships like the Monarch & Majesty to the huge ones like the Mariner etc always consistent with amazing service. Best ship ever was the Radiance, and she just got a makeover! .

I do not know how they do it so well and we have cruised RCCL alot.

The two lines could learn so much from each other!

Sorry RCCL, I will probably not be back

We have sailed on both, using NCL most as we live in NYC and at one point they had three ships here. Now one or two all year long. They are very different lines, NCL being like a casual resort that moves around while HAL tries to be a traditional cruise line of times gone by. Both give a nice vacation, if you want casual with a more mixed group go NCL.

I think you need to ask yourself exactly what you want from the cruise. I also think that if it is for your DW's birthday, then your children will make any cruise work for them.

HAL is definitely more formal than NCL and probably as formal as Celebrity. I think HAL offers a more refined product, but my DW really likes the "freestyle" concept of cruising. HAL has better food in my opinion unless you're eating in the specialty restaurants aboard NCL. You'll likely end up spending more onboard an NCL cruise than on HAL, but the fare difference might compensate for this.

I do think that NCL might offer more for your children to do, but then again there are activities to be had on HAL. There will just be fewer 20 somethings taking part in those activities.

Thanks

Steve

Amtrak

Archived