Camera Help Please!

I'm ready to graduate to a nicer camera. For years I've just had the little Kodak digital cameras that cost around 80 bucks or less. I have no idea where to start or what I should be looking for. I'd like to keep the price under $500. I'm cruising in October and want to take lots of vibrant clear pics!! I want to buy a camera soon so I can be well versed in all it's capabilities before I cruise. Any input is greatly appreciated!!:)

I don't know if you shop on Ebay at all..but my sister is a photographer and she bought a Digital SLR camera on ebay for about $250..and it would have been a lot more than that if she had bought it in a store.

My family swears by Nikon.

I'm ready to graduate to a nicer camera. For years I've just had the little Kodak digital cameras that cost around 80 bucks or less. I have no idea where to start or what I should be looking for. I'd like to keep the price under $500. I'm cruising in October and want to take lots of vibrant clear pics!! I want to buy a camera soon so I can be well versed in all it's capabilities before I cruise. Any input is greatly appreciated!!:)

If you post your question here(See link) we will get better feedback:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=118

Are you looking for a Point n Shoot, DSLR, Waterproof?

Lots of choices out there, as I'm sure you know.

Maybe take a look at the "Photo & Camera Discussions" board. Lot's of good info there.

Look at some of the camera review sites. dp review dot com is a good place to start.

Good luck. :)

BTW .... I have a Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS2, 14mp, dustproof, shockproof from 6ft, waterproof to 33ft, lots of features and takes great pictures.

Try to find a Canon t2i :) I'm guessing you could find a used one in that price range? You'll get beautiful images and video too. It's a great entry level DSLR. If you stay on "auto" (the green box) you will get nice vibrant images. If you want to really have fun with your new camera, buy a book called Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson and a 50mm 1.8 lens ($100) that combination will rock your world, but watch out....you just might become obsessed with photography like I did, and now it's my job:)

Do you want compact camera, long zoom, dslr, waterproof?

A lot of new cameras have just been released so if you don't mind getting a 2010 model you can save a bit doing that.

Don't get stuck on mega pixels, they all have plenty now days to make beautiful pictures. Lens quality difference is where the prices seem to soar.

I really enjoy my Sony HX5V, it's a small camera with a nice lens and decent zoom. It's a 2010 model and extremely affordable right now.

There is some great youtube video of what some of the underwater cameras can do, really neat stuff.

I've always liked imaging-resource.com for reviews on cameras.

Sent from my Epic Android using Tapatalk

Do you want compact camera, long zoom, dslr, waterproof?

A lot of new cameras have just been released so if you don't mind getting a 2010 model you can save a bit doing that.

Don't get stuck on mega pixels, they all have plenty now days to make beautiful pictures. Lens quality difference is where the prices seem to soar.

I really enjoy my Sony HX5V, it's a small camera with a nice lens and decent zoom. It's a 2010 model and extremely affordable right now.

There is some great youtube video of what some of the underwater cameras can do, really neat stuff.

I've always liked imaging-resource.com for reviews on cameras.

Sent from my Epic Android using Tapatalk

Ooooooo....I didn't even think about waterproof! Nice! :D

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I'm writing them all down and plan to research them!!

I love Canon and we just upgraded to a Canon PowerShot SX130 IS. It has a great zoom and I got some wonderful shots on our recent cruise to Alaska. It's easy to use and easy to learn how to use. What you can't find answers to in the brief book that comes with it, you can down load the entire manual from Canon on-line.

I love Canon and we just upgraded to a Canon PowerShot SX130 IS. It has a great zoom and I got some wonderful shots on our recent cruise to Alaska. It's easy to use and easy to learn how to use. What you can't find answers to in the brief book that comes with it, you can down load the entire manual from Canon on-line.

I have the same camera.... it is very compact with a great zoom. I would love one of the bigger Cannon's but find for me, the smaller ones are so much easier!

Good Luck!

Catrin

I have a friend who is a photographer and he loves the Nikon Coolpix 80 and now they have 100 and 500. I have seen the photos he takes and they are wonderful.

When I was looking I was looking for a DSL. Then decided I did not want to be carrying around a camera like that.

If you are gonna learn how to use it-- with all the F-stops etc then I would spend the money on the DSL.

I decided (after months of researching to get the Nikon 8000

the pictures it takes are amazing- nd you can make the pictures as vibrant as you want it

I recently got a Canon Rebel T1i..."Open Box" for just under $500...LOVE IT! Not "used" but a display model...it had a memory card with some pictures from around the store. It came with the standard 18-55mm "kit" lens. Needless to say, about obsession, that lens wasn't enough for long. I now have four lenses...a wide angle, telephoto zoom, and super-telephoto zoom, although no 50mm prime lens...yet. I got two of those used off craigslist.

I took a couple of seminars from the store I bought the camera and they were quite informative...they re-iterated alot of what's in the manual, but nothing beats hands-on experience and having a professional emphasize what's important and what's not. I also picked up a "Magic Lantern" book on my camera and a "Dummies" book...I'm almost through the first one and will study the dummies one next.

Over past few weeks I've been going out for a few hours here and there...parks, marinas, downtown, etc, and just snap away...take a few pictures of the same thing with different settings to see what effects it has.

Some days at work, I wouldn't mind being able to take pictures for a living...I'm sure I'm not the only one that thinks that.

Can't wait for the next cruise...Bermuda out of New York...where I plan to break my personal record for picture taking on a holiday.

Ah deciding what camera to buy is a big task.

This might be worth a read: http://www.imaging-resource.com/WB/WB.HTM

There is so much more to consider beyond budget, but what you want to shot, how much control you want and how much image quality you really need.

What is vibrant and clear to one might be considered garbage by another ( just kidding :D ).

Todays couple hundred dollar P&S are really very good cameras that can take those vibrant and clear. Than you can spend 20,000 for clear and vibrant too :eek:

Happy shopping!

I upgraded from a Canon point and shoot last year up to a DSLR. It's a lot to learn if you ever want to shoot in Manuel and not auto. I'm slowly learning and it's well worth it. My photos are beautiful! I can't wait to use it in Europe this fall. I also have a Canon T1i. I'm taking a class before I leave so I can learn a little more. It's a local guy and he does work shops around town and take you out and shows you how to use the Camera.

Good luck in your choice!

If you're only going to get just one camera (and don't we all wish we could afford many different ones?) :rolleyes:, I would recommend the Canon D10, a nicely sized handheld, which takes awesome shots both above and below water (to 33 feet). If I remember right, I think mine was around $300-350.

I would also second Justsyd's opinion about the Canon SX20 (I have one and love it!), but it's not waterproof and therefore not quite so versatile.

And I, too, would love to delve into the world of SLR cameras, but I think that if you're only getting one right now, you might not want to end up schlepping a heavy camera body, xtra lenses, etc along on every excursion.

If you want to see some of my D10 pix, check in my Victory Jan 2010 review. Just my two cents worth. Hope that helps!

Are you looking for a Point n Shoot, DSLR, Waterproof?

Lots of choices out there, as I'm sure you know.

Maybe take a look at the "Photo & Camera Discussions" board. Lot's of good info there.

Look at some of the camera review sites. dp review dot com is a good place to start.

Good luck. :)

BTW .... I have a Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS2, 14mp, dustproof, shockproof from 6ft, waterproof to 33ft, lots of features and takes great pictures.

Have the same camera, I second this!

If you're only going to get just one camera (and don't we all wish we could afford many different ones?) :rolleyes:, I would recommend the Canon D10, a nicely sized handheld, which takes awesome shots both above and below water (to 33 feet). If I remember right, I think mine was around $300-350.

I would also second Justsyd's opinion about the Canon SX20 (I have one and love it!), but it's not waterproof and therefore not quite so versatile.

Wanted to update my point and shoot for our first cruise last year, as my old one had limited capabilities and low megapixels. I had wanted the D10, but it was $300 and it has a relatively small range for zoom. We love to take pictures at the concerts we go to and wanted something with extra zoom.

We settled on the Canon SX120is. Now, they have the SX130is.

The DW and I use this camera all the time. Great photos. Image stabilization. Great zoom lens.

This year I decided I wanted to carry my own camera, so I added the D10

too. The SX 120 takes a somewhat better picture. Especially with the flash, but it is not waterproof.

Rather then take the suggestions here, I also went to my local camera store. The salespeople usually know the products, and you can hold them in your hand. Take a few pictures. See if you like it first.

Good luck.:D

I have a Canon Rebel XSI and I'm not a professional (I don't know if anyone else noticed, but my last cruise was filled with people with DSLR cameras.......more affordable now). I just learned as I went with the different features. The green auto is the easiest when you first get started and you are still gonna get great pics. The also have pre-settings like (portrait, landscape, action etc.) and they are autos for that setting and will help you take the pictures you want. These cameras also have manual settings, but I don't think you want to get into those until you have done some reading (which is what I did) or take some classes.

The only drawback to DSLR is they haven't quite made them smaller yet. Probably much more compact than they used to be, but still pretty big. Then if you really get into you have to think different lenses (I'm still using the lens that came with mine-I just can't spend another $500 for another lens-the camera cost me that)

Oh, and you will need a bigger SD card b/c the images are usually saved (unless you change it) at high resolution which takes up more space.

I actually got a smaller P & S for my Christmas last year (it has HD video and picture) and it has some settings on it too. It can't take pictures like my DSLR (the one thing I always forget is how I have to hold that camera still to take a picture for more than a second b/c of the slower shutter speed). But, when I don't want to or can't lug around my DSLR it comes in handy and still has great picture quality.

PS-Cyber Monday had some of the best deals for cameras.

Hope that helps.

I consider myself a decent amatuer photograhpher. I have a Canon Rebel XT and a Canon point and shoot. The advice others have given you is pretty good. I got a dSLR because I wanted to experiment with different shutter speeds and aperture settings for different types of pics and off camera flash.

The basics of photography are the same. You can get some great shots with a P&S. Even some of the prosumer models have very strong optical zooms. Your best bet for great pics is to take a class on photography basics and go from there. A dSLR is nice to have, but if you will not use the extra features, a better quality P&S is just fine. As others have said, the dSLR will be heavier, more cumbersome and you will need extras like lenses and filters that can add a lot to the base cost.

Archived