Is there any rule of underage drinking off ship on islands?

Missiowa

Don't flame me here. I have a friend with a daugther that wants 1 acoholic cocktail on a island. As long as the island is not a US island, is there any rules against underage drinking ? This teen will me with responsible adults and will only get 1 drink.

Every Island has their own law regarding legal drinking age. How strictly they are enforced is another thing.

I'm not certain if you're asking about the island being okay with the underage drinking or if you're concerned about Carnival caring that someone under 21 was drinking on the island?

Don't flame me here. I have a friend with a daugther that wants 1 acoholic cocktail on a island. As long as the island is not a US island, is there any rules against underage drinking ? This teen will me with responsible adults and will only get 1 drink.

a quick search will find this information. Girls age and what islands will you be visiting and I'm sure in seconds we could help you find the answers.

Is the teen 13 or 18/19? Big difference in ages there. :D

The drinking age in the Bahamas, St Thomas, St Marteen and Mexico is 18. If you are going to San Juan it is 21. Most of the Caribbean and all of Mexico is 18. If she is responsible and her parents are ok with that, one drink is in my opinion, fine.

The drinking age in the Bahamas, St Thomas, St Marteen and Mexico is 18. If you are going to San Juan it is 21. Most of the Caribbean and all of Mexico is 18. If she is responsible and her parents are ok with that, one drink is in my opinion, fine.

All of Puerto Rico is 18, maybe you were thinking about the legal age to gamble in PR.

http://www.topuertorico.com/resource/fast.shtml

I was just at Margueritaville on Grand Turk and there were kids 15 years old drinking. One kid I approached and asked if the drinking age was below 21. He said yes and then I learned he was 15. so many places she will be able to get a drink.

Local laws always apply to each specific locality. US laws only apply in the US. Cruise ship rules apply on the ship.

My daughter is 18 and had a drink at Senor Frogs in Nassau:rolleyes:

That was also the rule in St Thomas and St Maarten. However, when

we were on the beach in St Maarten the bartender that was getting

our drinks and bringing them to us on the beach, went over and asked

my son if he wanted a Bud Light (he's 15:eek:) Anything goes on the islands!

Most countries have a 18 drinking age, but most don't enforce it. Bermuda, bahamas, they might card you. Most other places don't care. I drank in many Caribbean ports and central american countries from age 14 on. I'm sure she won't have any issues being served.

If an underage person returns to the ship drunk, be cautious....The ship will not tolerate any unacceptable behavior.

So, even if they are "legal" on an island, does not allow them any leeway with behavior once back onboard.

No.. in San Juan it's 18

A clarification about Carnival setting the rules only on the ship and not the islands. At least on Half Moon Cay, owned by Carnival Corporation but in the Bahamas, sets the drinking age at 21. At least that's what happened to our 18 and 19 year old's at HMC when we stopped there two weeks ago. The girls took their sail and sign cards and went to the shipwreck bar to purchase a coconut drink and once the cards were run, they took the drinks back.

A clarification about Carnival setting the rules only on the ship and not the islands. At least on Half Moon Cay, owned by Carnival Corporation but in the Bahamas, sets the drinking age at 21. At least that's what happened to our 18 and 19 year old's at HMC when we stopped there two weeks ago. The girls took their sail and sign cards and went to the shipwreck bar to purchase a coconut drink and once the cards were run, they took the drinks back.

LOL! Huge clue: Sail and Sign card:D

Most Caribbean islands will serve anyone who looks old to enough that they "might" be 18.

Also if the girl is sitting on a pool deck reading a book and her mom orders 2 DODs and hands one to her, as long as the mom pays, the server will not card the girl. I know because I was that girl for about 4 years ;)

LOL! Huge clue: Sail and Sign card:D

Further, you must have missed the point. Huge clue for you...Some assume, obviously not you of course, that seeing Half Moon Cay is in the Bahamas, that the drinking age is 18. So, the sail and sign cards had nothing to do with it other than us then finding out that 21 was the legal age for drinking even though in the rest of the Bahamas, the age is 18. LOL :D

Further, you must have missed the point. Huge clue for you...Some assume, obviously not you of course, that seeing Half Moon Cay is in the Bahamas, that the drinking age is 18. So, the sail and sign cards had nothing to do with it other than us then finding out that 21 was the legal age for drinking even though in the rest of the Bahamas, the age is 18. LOL :D

Isn't that the only way you can buy alcohol on Half Moon Cay? With your sail and sign card?

Isn't that the only way you can buy alcohol on Half Moon Cay? With your sail and sign card?

Yes, but I still don't get your point. My point was that many believe that HMC, being an island in the Bahamas, would have a legal drinking age of 18. My reference to the sail and sign card was only then after trying to charge the drinks did we find out that it was 21. I don't get your comment about "hugh clue" related to the card.

Archived