Is there any rule of underage drinking off ship on islands?

Missiowa

Here, a parent can legally buy alcholic drinks for their child. Of course, the establishment has the right to deny selling to them, but they won't get in trouble. Don't know in Mexico. Seems a bit more relaxed there.

On most islands that I have visited, there are few hard and fast rules. On our first cruise to Nassau we visited Senor Frogs after a day of snorkeling and a visit to the beach. They offered all four of my boys, including my 11 year old, rum from the bottle. :eek: Uh no......!!! The 11yo also was not big for his age and they in NO WAY could have thought he was 18. My 15 year old....was doubtful to pass as an 18yo. The other two were 18 and 21 at the time, but still looked young.

We took pictures of the 11 yo and 15 yo standing by the sign saying ....."You must be this tall to drink." Our 11 year old was a head taller than the hand held out to measure. :rolleyes:

On another note, last June when we were getting back on the ship in Nassau, there was one very young girl totally blitzed. She was standing in line, sick, crying, hardly able to stand, trying to get through security, and did not have a picture ID with her. Her MOTHER was holding her and asked her child's friend, who also had seriously imbibed, to go to their cabin and get her driver's license so she could board. The one girl was so sick that finally a nurse from the ship came and got her. It was very irritating because they would not let all the people standing in line behind her go around her to board. YIKES!

I think some parents let their 16-17 year old kids drink because they would perfer that if their kids express an interest in trying a drink, they would like them to have a drink at home instead of behind their back. Let's face it, sometimes peer pressure can be terrible. I allowed both of my sons to drink a beer or two but only in my house and only when I was there to supervise. It seems like since it was not "forbidden" they did not really want it as much as if it had been forbidden. It also gives the parent a chance to see how they will handle liquor/beer. I have heard of many stories where a person waits to drink until they are 21 then go crazy trying to get wasted.

I was/am the same way with my kids. Two of mine are over 21 and out on their own, but they are not big big drinkers . My DS likes his beer and DS has a few when she is out with her friends , but its not a must have everyday thing. Have they done their share of partying ? ...sure who hasn't ...but again a time for it, a place for it, not everyday life.

My 19 and 18 yr old can have a beer or a drink when I am right there and can watch them.

Don't make it a big deal, it doesn't become a big deal.

My 11 y/o son was served a margarita instead of Sprite in Costa Maya. He said "Man, this is a good Sprite!" I drank it.

When we went back years later that bar right at the port was a real raunch place and he was disgusted. They had staff pouring drinks down people's throats.

Don't worry, this thread's going to turn into another contest to see who can prove they are the best parents that ever existed ... because this is a parenting forum and all that.

Haha, yep, "My son has never even seen a beer, is the happiest kid in the world, a straight A student, and captain of the baseball team! (and him and his girlfriend are waiting until they get married)"

Why do you parents let your teenagers (under 18) order alcoholic drinks? :confused:

That was exactly my thought. Everyone is tooting their horn about their 15 & 16yr old getting drinks. Lets see, did it ever dawn on you that it is against the law(I don't care what the island age is) and teaching them that it is ok to break the law, as long as you are with "responsible" adults? No wonder this world is so screwed up.

Yeah, yeah, I already know "but, kids are going to do it anyways". I have three grown children and yes, they all snuck drinks when they were younger, but I would have never offered it up to them.

Haha, yep, "My son has never even seen a beer, is the happiest kid in the world, a straight A student, and captain of the baseball team! (and him and his girlfriend are waiting until they get married)"

You don't know how many suicides I went to when I was an EMT and those exact same words were used to describe the victim .

I guess sometimes being a sober virgin can push you over the deep end :(

The legal drinking age for different countries varies dramatically, from zero to 21, as seen in the following table.

World Drinking Ages No Drinking Age 16 17 18 19 20 21

• Albania
  • Armenia
  • Azerbaijan
  • Comoros
  • Equatorial Guinea
  • Fiji
  • Gabon
  • Ghana
  • Guinea-Bissau
  • Jamaica
  • Kyrgyuzstan
  • Morocco
  • Solomon Islands*
  • Swaziland*
  • Togo
  • Tonga
  • Viet Nam

• Antigua
  • Barbados
  • Belgium
  • Georgia
  • Germany
  • Greece*
  • Luxembourg
  • Malta
  • Norway*
  • Poland
  • Portugal
  • Spain (16 in Asturias)

• Cyprus

• Algeria
  • Argentina
  • Australia
  • Bahamas
  • Barbados
  • Belarus
  • Belize
  • Bermuda
  • Bolivia
  • Botswana
  • Brazil
  • British Virgin Islands
  • Bulgaria
  • Cameroon
  • Canada (19 in some provinces)
  • Cape Verde
  • Central African Republic
  • Chile
  • China
  • Columbia
  • Congo, Republic of
  • Costa Rica
  • Croatia
  • Czech Republic
  • Denmark
  • Dominican Republic
  • Ecuador
  • Egypt*
  • El Salvador
  • Eritrea
  • Estonia
  • Ethiopia
  • Finland
  • France
  • Guatemala
  • Guyana
  • Hungary
  • Indonesia
  • Ireland
  • Israel
  • Jamaica
  • Kazakhstan
  • Kenya
  • Latvia
  • Lesoto
  • Lithuania
  • Malawi
  • Mauritius
  • Mexico
  • Moldova
  • Mongolia
  • Mozambique
  • Namibia
  • New Zealand
  • Niger
  • Nigeria
  • Norway*
  • Panama
  • Papua New Guinea
  • Peru
  • Phillippines
  • Russia
  • Samoa
  • Seychelles
  • Singapore
  • Slovak Republic
  • South Africa
  • Spain (16 in Asturias)
  • St. Maarten
  • Sweden*
  • Thailand
  • Trinidad and Tobago
  • Turkey
  • Turkmenistan
  • Uganda
  • Ukrane
  • United Kingdom (age 5 with parents)
  • Uruguay
  • Vanuatu
  • Venezuela
  • Zambia
  • Zimbabwe

• Nicaragua
  • South Korea

• Iceland
  • Japan
  • Paraguay

• Fiji
  • Pakastan (for non-Muslims, prohibited for Muslims)
  • Palau
  • Sri Lanka
  • United States*

* Various qualifications and/or exceptions apply.

That was exactly my thought. Everyone is tooting their horn about their 15 & 16yr old getting drinks. Lets see, did it ever dawn on you that it is against the law(I don't care what the island age is) and teaching them that it is ok to break the law, as long as you are with "responsible" adults? No wonder this world is so screwed up.

Yeah, yeah, I already know "but, kids are going to do it anyways". I have three grown children and yes, they all snuck drinks when they were younger, but I would have never offered it up to them.

As I stated above, it's not agaist the law if the parent allows it and is present. It is against the law if they are served without their parent present. I know it sounds horrible to some, but a parent can legally allow their child to drink.

How can you say a person is breaking the law if the the legal drinking age is different then ours? If I am not mistaken, Jamaica's drinking age is 16, how can it be breaking the law? I am not saying I don't agree with how you raise your kids, how you choose to do that is your business and no one can say it is wrong. Just like if a parent feels his 15 or 16 year old is mature enough for a drink, that is their business. There are several countries that do not even have a drinking age. My 10 year old could order up a beer in Albania and it would be served to him, legally. Not that I would EVER let that happen. Lol.

As I stated above, it's not agaist the law if the parent allows it and is present. It is against the law if they are served without their parent present. I know it sounds horrible to some, but a parent can legally allow their child to drink.

A quick google search revealed that it is legal in approx 30 states. However, it is not only against the law if they are served without their parent present, it is also against the law if they even take a sip of it without their parent present. The whole thing is absolute insanity to me!! Who knew??

How can you say a person is breaking the law if the the legal drinking age is different then ours? If I am not mistaken, Jamaica's drinking age is 16, how can it be breaking the law? I am not saying I don't agree with how you raise your kids, how you choose to do that is your business and no one can say it is wrong. Just like if a parent feels his 15 or 16 year old is mature enough for a drink, that is their business. There are several countries that do not even have a drinking age. My 10 year old could order up a beer in Albania and it would be served to him, legally. Not that I would EVER let that happen. Lol.

But if you were in Albania and your 10 year old wanted a drink , He would be completely free and legal to do so and you couldn't do anymore about it than you could stop your 23 year old son from drinking here in the US.

You ask him not to and maybe out of respect for you wouldn't have one. But legally there wouldn't be anything you could do

You don't know how many suicides I went to when I was an EMT and those exact same words were used to describe the victim .

Celibacy and prohibition would be enough to push me over the edge too!

Gosh, I guess I've been raising my kids wrong!! To my DS: "Quick, get the beer pong going in the rec room, quit that basketball team, stop studying, and why doesn't that cute girlfriend of yours just move right in!! I wouldn't want to risk you getting too stressed and ending it all!!"

It doesn't matter to me what other parents choose to do about their children drinking alcohol. I've seen bad outcomes with kids who had very strict parents and also those who had more tolerant parents (allowing a drink in the presence.) I don't think one way is necessarily better than others. I just try to follow what rules are in place to be a good role model for my kids. If the drinking age where we are is 18, then an 18 year old can drink. Very simple.

Gosh, I guess I've been raising my kids wrong!! To my DS: "Quick, get the beer pong going in the rec room, quit that basketball team, stop studying, and why doesn't that cute girlfriend of yours just move right in!! I wouldn't want to risk you getting too stressed and ending it all!!"

It doesn't matter to me what other parents choose to do about their children drinking alcohol. I've seen bad outcomes with kids who had very strict parents and also those who had more tolerant parents (allowing a drink in the presence.) I don't think one way is necessarily better than others. I just try to follow what rules are in place to be a good role model for my kids. If the drinking age where we are is 18, then an 18 year old can drink. Very simple.

Not saying that you raised your kids wrong , or that you should tell them to start drinking.

Do you know how many kids hit a downward spiral because they get their first B. After a lifetime of their father telling them CEOs get As , Janitors get B's .

Or God forbid they blow the big game or come in third ??? You don't get to be in the family Christmas card for something like that in some families.

Booze and dope aren't always the most destructive things you can give your kids

Not saying that you raised your kids wrong , or that you should tell them to start drinking.

Do you know how many kids hit a downward spiral because they get their first B. After a lifetime of their father telling them CEOs get As , Janitors get B's .

Or God forbid they blow the big game or come in third ??? You don't get to be in the family Christmas card for something like that in some families.

Ah come one.....dysfunctional and not letting your kids drink until their of age:confused:

And yes my parents let us drink in front of them.......but I am sure glad they never saw us drinking without them:rolleyes: They would have been shocked......naivety run amock...

I understand what you're saying, but I think you are speaking of the few not the many. I'm just pointing out that just because you have sadly come across some horrible situations due to stressed kids in your EMT career doesn't make it a bad thing to expect and help kids to try to succeed to their abilities in all they do. I'm sorry, but I disagree with your last statement from my own family experience...booze and dope ARE some of the MOST destructive things you can give your kids...they too can lead to suicide and ruined lives.

Anyway, to the OP, check out the drinking laws where you are headed and do what you think is right. Have a great cruise!! Wish I was going too!

Our Niece was with us on our western cruise a couple of years ago.

Both of us and both of her parents were with her at Nachi Cocum in Cozumel.

She is a AP student, active in drama club and many other after school acitivities. (leaves for college in less than a month)

Her Dad is a tequila nut. (they lived in San Diego for about a decade)

So she wanted to try some tequila with Dad in a bar type atmosphere.

So she did a few shots with Dad, with 3 sober adults watching her closely.

She enjoyed the shots, got a little buzz and resumed her beach day.

That night, she had been looking forward to THAT dinner the whole cruise.

All she talked about at dinner for 3 or 4 nights, was waiting for THAT night and her favorite dish. (I can't remember off the top of my head)

Well, as dinner time approaches, she begins to feel her first, post drinking affects and winds up staying in her cabin, sick and missed her favorite dinner.

So lesson learned.

Drinking can be fun, but there is also, the downside to be weighed in.

Needless to say.

Smart kid.

Lesson learned, while having 3 adults watching her back.

NOT after leaving the nest and trying tequila in the dorm, under massive peer pressure, with no one watching her back.

Bill

Our Niece was with us on our western cruise a couple of years ago.

Both of us and both of her parents were with her at Nachi Cocum in Cozumel.

She is a AP student, active in drama club and many other after school acitivities. (leaves for college in less than a month)

Her Dad is a tequila nut. (they lived in San Diego for about a decade)

So she wanted to try some tequila with Dad in a bar type atmosphere.

So she did a few shots with Dad, with 3 sober adults watching her closely.

She enjoyed the shots, got a little buzz and resumed her beach day.

That night, she had been looking forward to THAT dinner the whole cruise.

All she talked about at dinner for 3 or 4 nights, was waiting for THAT night and her favorite dish. (I can't remember off the top of my head)

Well, as dinner time approaches, she begins to feel her first, post drinking affects and winds up staying in her cabin, sick and missed her favorite dinner.

So lesson learned.

Drinking can be fun, but there is also, the downside to be weighed in.

Needless to say.

Smart kid.

Lesson learned, while having 3 adults watching her back.

NOT after leaving the nest and trying tequila in the dorm, under massive peer pressure, with no one watching her back.

Bill

So....you think that'll be the last drink she has? AHAHAHAHAHA! You must be a few years removed from first semester freshman year....

So....you think that'll be the last drink she has? AHAHAHAHAHA! You must be a few years removed from first semester freshman year....

Of course it will be.

Once someone tastes alcohol and gets sick from it they never ever have another drink ever again. :)

Archived