Is there any rule of underage drinking off ship on islands?

Missiowa

The point - using the Sail and Sign card means it is under Carnival control and thus Carnival rules. Use cash - it is not under Carnival control and it is the Island's rules.

Still Carnivals rules either way(even if you could use cash, which I think you can't), it's their island, their rules, not Bahamian rules/laws. Where else could you use your s&s card in the Bahamas?? lol THAT was the big clue, would be kind of a DUH moment for anyone who thinks they can drink on HMC because they're 18:)

Yes, but I still don't get your point. My point was that many believe that HMC, being an island in the Bahamas, would have a legal drinking age of 18. My reference to the sail and sign card was only then after trying to charge the drinks did we find out that it was 21. I don't get your comment about "hugh clue" related to the card.

Well, those people would be very misinformed. All cruise owned islands and areas, Stirrup, Princess, Labadee, whatever are controled by the cruise ships rules. Just like being on the ship. Do your homework, then you will be informed.

The huge clue would be that if you are paying with the S&S card, obviously you would be falling under ships rules. If you are paying cash to some guy at the end of a beach somewhere, obviously not.

they will have no issues having a drink .. even on the ship if the adult buys one for them.

.. most carribean venue/ports ( not owned by carnival).. have one real requirement ( they might have rule/laws) but the real requirment is cash.

we are talking about places where you can by narcotics over the counter!

one trip to coz or costa maya.. watch when people are comming back..

there is always a couple young one , who partake way too much...

we all have to learn sometime...

If an underage person returns to the ship drunk, be cautious....The ship will not tolerate any unacceptable behavior.

So, even if they are "legal" on an island, does not allow them any leeway with behavior once back onboard.

I did say 1 drink. Just one. I have never seen anyone get drunk on only 1 drink. geeez!

You are in the islands and they are in the company of adults there will be no problem with them having a drink. In the US you would be in trouble which is why if I want a beach vacation I leave the US

We were in Grand Turk, at Jack's Shack, and I bought my 18 year old son one of Jack's fine rum drinks. He's not much of a drinker, honestly, but wanted to try one, and said he liked it. We went back to the ship, and he took a 4 hour nap <g>. Said it was the sun, I'm thinking it MIGHT have been the generous pour!

KC

If an underage person returns to the ship drunk, be cautious....The ship will not tolerate any unacceptable behavior.

So, even if they are "legal" on an island, does not allow them any leeway with behavior once back onboard.

i guess its what is defined as unacceptable behavior.. to some a 17 year old being a bit tipsy

is totally unacceptable.. as far as ccl is concerned

I have seen many times coming back from port obvious sub 18 year olds drunk.. I mean really drunk

Last time at coz.. two guys in front of me were trashed, they really tried to look like they weren’t but a couple clues gave them away.. one was it took three attempts to walk up the boarding ramp ( they kept sliding backwards).. the other was the empty yard drink sticking out their back pocket..

Even the ccl security people checking people back in were laughing..

They had no issues with ccl staff.. I saw them the next day by the pool and asked how they were getting along.. they said never again..

Right. Because CCL is just *so strict* about the behavior of it's passengers. :rolleyes:

Short of being passed out drunk, fighting drunk, pissing drunk, puking drunk, or crawling drunk, a drunken teenager/young adult will be fine. And even then if you just say "medical condition" they'll back off.

On our last cruise my boys were 15 and 17 and were able to purchase beer in Cozumel, Belize, Roatan and Grand Cayman. I don't think the ports do much "carding". :rolleyes:

It actually turned into a wonderful life lesson though. My 15 year old had a couple of beers in port and then we had rough seas that night. He can't stand even the smell of beer anymore ;)

My DD was 18 on our last cruise when she was sitting with my and DW by the pool. DW and I had already had a couple drinks there before DD met up with us so the waiter already had my card number

A few minutes later DW went back to the cabin. I was laying on the lounge chair between the noise around the pool between all the pax, the music the wind didn't realize the waiter came by and asked my DD " 2 more Pina Coladas ?" (or whatever we were drinking)

My DD (slick as she is) simply said yes please.

The waiter brought them right over and simply charged my card . Never asked a question.

Things seem to be getting a little off topic, but I think you have got your answer. Check the island rules and if she legal to drink and you feel she (was it a he? don't remember) is responsible enough and will be under supervision, then make the decision for yourself how to deal with the situation. Your the adult and in charge, it is your decision. You know the child the best too.

Frankly, my grandma gave me a sip of wine at 10 and I thought it was gross. My brother (7 years older) handed me a beer right in front of my mom at 16.......again, I thought it was gross. It kept me from drinking until college when I discovered Malt beverages. :D Still was more responsible than some of my fellow college students.

Note on the private islands for those parents who may don't want their kids to drink (again, no offense). I was on the RCL private island on my first cruise and I was only 17. I ordered a virgin Bahama Mama (we were with friends of the family) and the waiter looked at me and said, "You sure you want a virgin drink?" I DID NOT look over 21, but he was willing to give me the real thing. My parents raised me to respect the rules, so I said no. I told the family friend and she said, "Why didn't you say yes, I wouldn't have cared." Be careful about waiters who are looking for extra tips and if you send your kids with friends...........make sure they know how you expect your kids to act and the rules.

You are in the islands and they are in the company of adults there will be no problem with them having a drink. In the US you would be in trouble which is why if I want a beach vacation I leave the US

Depends on which state you're in... Some states allow drinking if you're under 21 and with your parents.

I think some parents let their 16-17 year old kids drink because they would perfer that if their kids express an interest in trying a drink, they would like them to have a drink at home instead of behind their back. Let's face it, sometimes peer pressure can be terrible. I allowed both of my sons to drink a beer or two but only in my house and only when I was there to supervise. It seems like since it was not "forbidden" they did not really want it as much as if it had been forbidden. It also gives the parent a chance to see how they will handle liquor/beer. I have heard of many stories where a person waits to drink until they are 21 then go crazy trying to get wasted.

I never said that every 21 year old who waits to drink will get wasted on their first drinking experience......Just that I know of several who did.....

Don't worry, this thread's going to turn into another contest to see who can prove they are the best parents that ever existed ... because this is a parenting forum and all that.

Archived