Unlimited laundry ????

martinimadam

How much does the "unlimited laundry" cost?

Is it dry cleaning or is it washer/dryer? I've heard some horror stories about cruise ship laundry.

This will be my first cruise for more than 10 days (14 for this one), and I'm thinking I'd like to send blouses and linen pants to be freshened a few times during the trip. Not interested in the "all you can stuff in a bag", as it will only be a few things at a time. I'm traveling solo, so it will just be my things.

Did I read correctly that I need to go to the main desk on the first day to set this up?

Thanks for your help!

How much does the "unlimited laundry" cost?

Is it dry cleaning or is it washer/dryer? I've heard some horror stories about cruise ship laundry.

This will be my first cruise for more than 10 days (14 for this one), and I'm thinking I'd like to send blouses and linen pants to be freshened a few times during the trip. Not interested in the "all you can stuff in a bag", as it will only be a few things at a time. I'm traveling solo, so it will just be my things.

Did I read correctly that I need to go to the main desk on the first day to set this up?

Thanks for your help!

Just annotate the laundry slip on the first day that you want unlimited laundry. The amount depends on the ship and the number of days you are sailing. You will get a bag each day to put your clothes in and they will come back ready to wear again by the next day.

Terri

LOVE the Unlimited Laundry package! We used it on a 7 day cruise to Alaska in 2008 and were hooked - $49 per cabin (not per person) for the day day cruise. Last year, we used it on HAL's 14 day Alaskan itinerary (cost was $98 per cabin) and then we only packed one week's worth of clothes. Best bargain going! Our TA gave us $100 credit for the Amsterdam 14 day sailing to Alaska again this year (yes, we loved it THAT much in 2010!), so my cabin mates and I have decided to use that OBC to purchase the Unlimited Laundry package for our Aug. 5th sailing. Everything comes back nicely pressed and hung or folded with tissue paper between each piece inside a wicker basket. Turn around time was very quick - some days, not all, we sent it out first thing in the AM and it was then back in our cabin that same evening! Most days we sent it out and it was back the next day by noon. Really saved on luggage space and weight only packing one week's worth of clothes. And DH loved having his jeans pressed (ain't happening at home;)!).

Yes, go right to the front desk upon boarding to order the Unlimited Laundry, just to be on the safe side. Do try it - I'm sure you'll like it as much as we did, and be forever after spoiled! Enjoy your trip!

...I'm thinking I'd like to send blouses and linen pants to be freshened a few times during the trip. Not interested in the "all you can stuff in a bag", as it will only be a few things at a time. I'm traveling solo, so it will just be my things.

Since you are solo and only want to "send blouses and linen pants to be freshened a few times", I think you will save money by using the "all you can stuff in a bag" approach rather than purchasing an unlimited laundry package.

Scott & Karen

Since you are solo and only want to "send blouses and linen pants to be freshened a few times", I think you will save money by using the "all you can stuff in a bag" approach rather than purchasing an unlimited laundry package.

The problem with that approach is, as a solo, it takes too many days to fill the bag. It takes the better part of a week to have enough laundry to fill the bag.

For a solo who isn't doing her own laundry, the "unlimited" option may be the better choice.

Unlimited laundry is approximately $7 a day times the number of days in the cruise.

Since you can sign up for it simply by marking that option on the laundry order form, you might want to to look at the per item prices first and see if that would be cheaper for you since you say you only want to do a few items a few times.

I've always been pleased by the laundry service.

A few posters mentioned the laundry coming back the same day. For the most part that has been my experience. When I was on the Westerdam in April it took at least 2 days to get stuff back. It was really slow. I would never send linen pants to the laudry because I'd be afraid they would shrink them. That said, I air dry most of my clothing at home.

Could someone let us know the price of the "all you can put in one bag" laundry service?

Can you use this service any time or more than once during your cruise during your cruise?

Also, are there irons one can use in the launderette? I am a little concerned the dress shirts that I pack will need to be touched up after being a in a suitcase to look thier best.

Thank you for all your help and kind advice.

soccer

$20 per bag - we stuffed quite a bit in them - several pairs of sox, uw, t-shirts, pants for 3 adults. Can use it as many times as you want. I think they do have irons in the launderettes - they also have pressing service, you you could let them do the work while you have fun!

$20 per bag - we stuffed quite a bit in them - several pairs of sox, uw, t-shirts, pants for 3 adults. Can use it as many times as you want. I think they do have irons in the launderettes - they also have pressing service, you you could let them do the work while you have fun!

They have irons IF the ship hgas a lauderette. It's the smaller, older ships that have them.

Also, are there irons one can use in the launderette? I am a little concerned the dress shirts that I pack will need to be touched up after being a in a suitcase to look thier best.

Nine ships have a launderette: the S- & R- classes, and the Prinsendam. The Vista and Signature ships do not.

We just got back from being on the Niew Amsterdam, and the "all you can put in the bag" was $26. Ours was a 12 day trip and we used the service twice, so it was quite a bit cheaper than the unlimited, but saved so much over sending individual items. We got ALOT in each bag!:p It came back beautiful. There is no self ironing available on the NA or Eurodam, but I took the Downy spray stuff and it helped with luggage wrinkles.:)

They don't have clothes lines to hang certain items up.

A little correction -- If you have tub there is a clothes line that you pull out from one end & hook to the other end. It can handle light wt items.

Ray

A little correction -- If you have tub there is a clothes line that you pull out from one end & hook to the other end. It can handle light wt items.

KK was speaking of "they" as the HAL laundry. Not the individual cabins.

btw---the inside cabins, with a shower-only, also have a clothesline.

Thanks all for your input.

I'm a little concerned about the linen pants, as I usually have them dry cleaned. Don't think I'll take a chance on them shrinking.

Sounds like the best bet would be to check out the individual prices for each item and see if it adds up to $98. I'd love to send just one outfit a day for cleaning. Sounds like real pampering!

I know, as RuthC pointed out, that as a solo I won't have enough to stuff a bag, so that option's out.

Don't know how I'd survive without the knowledge of all of you on CruiseCritic!

With the $20/$26 fill a bag laundry option, will these bags be in all cabins upon checking in or do you have to ask your room steward? Are these the same bags you would use for the unlimited laundry deal?

I am going to presume that if you send colors and whites in the same bag, they are going to be washed together. Am I correct?

Interesting to hear about the cold water washing request. So many others have reported that hot water was the only option. Perhaps I should bring some stain remover to pre-spot clothes, especially if I want them washed in cold water. Worth a try. I currently wash almost everything in hot water at home because my new washing machine mixes cold and hot water even on the hottest setting. When I checked the temperature of the water once the drum was full, it was only warm. :(

One would think the cruiselines would be wanting to save energy and would not use hot water.

We did a Prinsendam transatlantic at the end of May. It was the second time we did the unlimited laundry, and I came up with a system that worked well for us. I requested several extra bags, and sorted our dirty stuff into 4 options.

Two bags, dark and light colors, for each of two washing instructions:

Cold water wash, cool dry

Warm water wash, warm dry

I printed and underlined the instructions with every load, and kept my copy in the room until the clothing returned and I had checked it and worn a few items. No shrinkage, no staining (I had a problem with a couple of items the prior cruise).

It was worth every dime, and I didn't have to spend the dinner hour discussing, as the two other women at our dining table did, the problems with finding free dryers/washers in the laundry room. When they talked of hours spent waiting for a free dryer, I had to share a smile with my spouse.

I can't wait for that fourth star and free laundry!

We did a Prinsendam transatlantic at the end of May. It was the second time we did the unlimited laundry, and I came up with a system that worked well for us. I requested several extra bags, and sorted our dirty stuff into 4 options.

Two bags, dark and light colors, for each of two washing instructions:

Cold water wash, cool dry

Warm water wash, warm dry

I printed and underlined the instructions with every load, and kept my copy in the room until the clothing returned and I had checked it and worn a few items. No shrinkage, no staining (I had a problem with a couple of items the prior cruise).

This is most reassuring. Thank you so much. All I heard before was that my choice was hot water washes. This is great news. Thanks for posting!!!

Sounds like the best bet would be to check out the individual prices for each item and see if it adds up to $98.

The per piece prices are frightfully expensive.

It so happens that I still have the laundry slips from my recent cruise. I can't type it all out, but if there's some pieces in particular that you want to know about, I'll be happy to look up a few.

Here's a couple of examples of the per piece price of laundry:

trousers/jeans/pants/slacks: $4.00

shirt (regular)/blouse: $3.50

shirt (dress)/blouse: $4.50

undershort/panty: $2.00

brassiere: $2.00

socks (per pair): $2.00

We've used the "pack all you can" for $20 and it is wonderful! You can't imagine what you can pack into that little bag (roll and squish everything). I like the idea of specifying cold/warm washes, etc. Never thought of that. Will try it on our next 17-day cruise from Venice to FLL in October. Thanks!

Archived