Carinval Glory - NYC to New England... A Memoir

Delta Hotel

Aww, that is just so sweet of you. Now I'm all teary-eyed.:o Thank you so much for your very kind, complementary, encouraging words. I just read your post to DH. We're both touched and so glad that you enjoyed it.

And thanks especially for not calling me that detestable B**f word.:cool::D

Oops, have not seen you posting in a while. Thought maybe you were on this cruise. I have missed the artificial chocolates on the pillow discussion:);)

Edited by jimbo5544

Oops, have not seen you posting in a while. Thought maybe you were on this cruise. I have missed the artificial chocolates on the pillow discussion:);)

Nope, this cruise was 2 years ago.:o

Ah, the "chocolates" discussion.:cool: I think we pretty much said all that could be said on that subject and the thread sunk into oblivion. But it was fun while it lasted!:D

Just a quick note on your first post. I don't know what your theories are about why the northern 95 states have tolls, but Connecticut does not currently have any tolls at all, so you can take us off that list.

(This is meant as a humorous correction, not as a complaint)

Hi Maurinsky!

So... when I read your recent post, I thought to myself, "Hmm, that's soo weird, because I clearly remember tolls on I95 when I was a kid." As it turns out, with the help of Google, I've uncovered the mystery that haunted me for almost two whole minutes!

The following excerpt is from Wikipedia:

In January 1983, a truck with a brake failure slammed into a line of cars waiting to pay a toll on I-95 in Stratford, Connecticut. Seven people were killed. This accident helped lead to the removal of toll barriers throughout Connecticut, which was completed six years after.

It would appear that Connecticut had tolls when I was a child and living there - but not since then. Thanks for pointing this out. I have officially taken CT off of my list of states that charge money to use I95. =)

DH

Edited by Delta Hotel

With no plans of ever sailing on this ship, I have spent two days reading every post in this thread. Your memoir is simply amazing. Still keeping your privacy, you opened up your life to us and I have laughed and cried at various times throughout this thread. It truly was a wonderful memoir and I hate there it has come to an end.

Shaky (would not dare call you Beef), your banter with him sounds like mine with my husband. Before you would even post, I knew you were getting ready to come back with a comment for him because I would have done the same.

Your girls are precious, your love for each other and for your family shows clearly through your written words, and you both have talent beyond measure.

Thank you for taking the time to write about your trip and to share your life with us!

Thank you so much. I'm touched, moved, humbled, and a bunch of other touchy-feely words.

I'm glad you enjoyed it. I enjoyed writing and sharing it.

DH

Although DH "invented":rolleyes::p the word slippy in noun form here in his memoir, he got the word slippy (adj. slippery) as well as the term hoaved up (adj. mounded or swollen, like a small hill) from me. Example: The road is hoaved up in the middle so that rain will run off into the gutters. This makes the wet road less slippy.

I got these terms from my Grandma (Mom's mom), who came from a very small town in central Pennsylvania. It was explained to me that these were PA Dutch terms, but I'm not sure if that's true. We've just always used them in my family, and they slipped into DH's vernacular, as well.:o It's interesting to learn that 'slippy' has sprung up in other areas (Montreal, at least), too.:)

Wow! I feel like I've got connections to ALL of you! When my parents left Montreal, they moved to a small town in Central PA! Hmmm...maybe THEY brought the word with them and taught it to your parents?

Which small town, Shaky?

Nope, this cruise was 2 years ago.:o

Ah, the "chocolates" discussion.:cool: I think we pretty much said all that could be said on that subject and the thread sunk into oblivion. But it was fun while it lasted!:D

Lol you never know. Look at this thread it's still going. It was fun

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app from my IPhone

Wow! I feel like I've got connections to ALL of you! When my parents left Montreal, they moved to a small town in Central PA! Hmmm...maybe THEY brought the word with them and taught it to your parents?

Which small town, Shaky?

Geeseytown, outside of Altoona (a bit southwest of true central PA). I still have family in Altoona. But Grandma was born in 1912, and her mother used the terms (and others, like "ret up the table") as well. They were from German ancestry (as are the PA Dutch). Greatgrandma was second generation American and still spoke German at home about half the time. I don't know if the PA Dutch connection is a family myth or not, but I do know these are just words my mom's family have always used.

I have come across others, occasionally, that also use one or more of our "PA Dutch words". And so far, they have always had PA roots. Cormike1 is the first person I've come across that also uses one of these words but doesn't trace it back to PA. This kind of obscure word origin and language stuff is interesting to me. I guess I'm a little bit of a word geek.:o:p

Edited by ShakyBeef
word geek can't spell

Geeseytown, outside of Altoona (a bit southwest of true central PA). I still have family in Altoona. But Grandma was born in 1912, and her mother used the terms (and others, like "ret up the table") as well. They were from German ancestry (as are the PA Dutch). Greatgrandma was second generation American and still spoke German at home about half the time. I don't know if the PA Dutch connection is a family myth or not, but I do know these are just words my mom's family have always used.

I have come across others, occasionally, that also use one or more of our "PA Dutch words". And so far, they have always had PA roots. Cormike1 is the first person I've come across that also uses one of these words but doesn't trace it back to PA. This kind of obscure word origin and language stuff is interesting to me. I guess I'm a little bit of a word geek.:o:p

And we are really more south central PAas opposed to central. We are only about 8 miles from the MD border, about an hour north of Baltimore.

As a side note that has nothing to do with your cruise, I LOVE that you take your kids to Colonial Williamsburg AND you make their costumes! I have taken a group of 80 5th grade students and am currently working on fundraisers to take another group of 5th graders this year! I have not made it there for Christmas but would love to do that personally (not with a field trip!) one year.

As a side note that has nothing to do with your cruise, I LOVE that you take your kids to Colonial Williamsburg AND you make their costumes! I have taken a group of 80 5th grade students and am currently working on fundraisers to take another group of 5th graders this year! I have not made it there for Christmas but would love to do that personally (not with a field trip!) one year.

We love it. I grew up going there all the time with my parents and I liked it as a kid, but didn't love it the way our daughters do. Maybe part of it is the costumes - kids didn't dress up to go to CW when I was a kid.

But these days, they have rental costumes and costumes for sale at the Visitor Centre and the shops on Duke of Gloucester. And then there are kids that come in their homemade and store-bought costumes, as well. Being in costume really makes the whole CW thing more interesting to the kids. The girls are still really into it, even our now going-into-6th-grade 11 year old. We keep expecting her to not want to wear her costume anymore, to feel too grown up for it. But each time we are packing to go (at least a couple times a year), when I ask her, she says she wants to wear it.

DH and I are constantly surprised and impressed at how much the girls really like to learn at CW. They love the house tours and the craftsmen's demonstrations, and the museum - not just playing with their hoop and stick and running through the maze in the Govenor's garden and playing 'Shut the Box' at Gambols at Chowning's.;)

It's impressive that you take such large groups of students to CW. I couldn't do that.:o Good on ya!:) CW is beautiful decorated for Christmas, but the week of Christmas and after Christmas (up to and including New Year's) is crazy crowded there!:eek: We avoid going at that time and during the sumer vacation months.

It's impressive that you take such large groups of students to CW. I couldn't do that.:o Good on ya!:) CW is beautiful decorated for Christmas, but the week of Christmas and after Christmas (up to and including New Year's) is crazy crowded there!:eek: We avoid going at that time and during the sumer vacation months.

Thanks for the information about Christmas! I hate huge crowds and try to avoid times like that whenever possible.

We take them for 3 days and 2 nights, and do CW, Jamestown Fort, Jamestown Settlement, Glass House, and all the other educational things. Most of these students don't venture far from our little rural county so to go anywhere is exciting! I love taking them somewhere where History comes to Life and to see the expression on their faces. Of course, for some of them, riding an elevator in our hotel is fascinating for them!

Well Delta, My family is taking this exact trip in about a week and a half (1.5 weeks for the geeks). I took me about 24 hours to get through the "memoir" (not counting meals and family time).

One thing I didn't see in your review was the "mommy-daddy time". The last cruise we did with our kids, my wife had to bribe our daughter by giving her money to go shopping at one of the ships stores to get 15 minutes alone (she was gone for 10 minutes). If I had parents to watch the kids the cruise would have been much different. For this upcoming cruise we have 2 cabins, $200 well spent!

You said you grew up in Derby, my family owned a store in Seymour. Small world, eh? (but I'd hate to have to paint it).

Do they do the mini-martinis? If so where? used to be Burgundy bar aft portside deck 5, but I know that's been converted to Alchemy. I do look forward to a chipotle pineapple martini! And a few others from their menu that I see on Carnival's website! YUM; they look great!

Edited by mizlorinj

One thing I didn't see in your review was the "mommy-daddy time". The last cruise we did with our kids, my wife had to bribe our daughter by giving her money to go shopping at one of the ships stores to get 15 minutes alone (she was gone for 10 minutes). If I had parents to watch the kids the cruise would have been much different. For this upcoming cruise we have 2 cabins, $200 well spent!

Hey Neckhardt,

Maybe it was easy to overlook, given the relatively quick references in comparison to the lengthy entirety of the memoir, but I did include the times where we didn't have the kids. Most of the time, we ended up sitting around at the Lido deck bar just relaxing. On our family cruises, we don't insist or require much "alone time" since we do cruises about once a year, just the two of us, as well.

DH

• 1 month later...

I'd like to let you know that your memoir lives on. My boyfriend and I are taking this cruise (7 day including MA and ME) in two weeks. I found this review Friday afternoon and have spent all my free time since reading it; usually until 1 a.m.

My boyfriend even asked "what are you going to do now?" when I reached the end. Thank you for a wonderful post. I am left ever-excited about our vacation, but also with that sad void when you finish a book trilogy you were completely taken with

Edited by katieandcorey

• 2 years later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
By the way, has anyone else noticed that although I-95 runs from Maine to Florida… only the northern states (DE, NJ, NY, CT, etc…) make you pay tolls to use it? What’s up with that anyway? I have my own suspicions about why that is, but I’ll save that for another day. [/font][/size]

CT does not have tolls