What's this thing (in the cabin)?

Aoumd

DSC_0246.jpg

Got back from the Glory last week and had a great time, but a question...

The black button-like thing on the right is the restroom light, but I wonder what the little sensor-like thing (with its own little switch) on the left is? Never seemed to be able to find a reason for it on our recent cruise...

Edited by Aoumd

DSC_0246.jpg

Got back from the Glory last week and had a great time, but a question...

The black button-like thing on the right is the restroom light, but I wonder what the little sensor-like thing (with its own little switch) on the left is? Never seemed to be able to find a reason for it on our recent cruise...

I've been on a lot of Conquest class ships and I don't think I remember ever seeing anything like that. Where in the cabin is it located? and what are those lighter markings on it?

Thanks to everyone who replied so far. Just curious.

It's next to the bathroom door - the bathroom door light is on the right side of the mystery item.

Not sure what you mean by "Lighter Markings"

Thanks to everyone who replied so far. Just curious.

It's next to the bathroom door - the bathroom door light is on the right side of the mystery item.

Not sure what you mean by "Lighter Markings"

Were you in a Handicapped Cabin?

Were you in a Handicapped Cabin?

Ahhhh......you may be on to something there. I've never been in a handicapped cabin before and the light switch that is on the exterior door of every other cabin that I've been in doesn't look like that. It's just a toggle switch.

We are just off the Triumph last week and wondered the same thing. Did not ever ask anyone, but I should have....

Ours had a switch for the cabin lights, the bathroom light, and then that sensor looking thing.

If we left the lights on they stayed on. So I dont think its a motion sensor as it just points at the closet door and not into the cabin. :confused:

We are just off the Triumph last week and wondered the same thing. Did not ever ask anyone, but I should have....

Ours had a switch for the cabin lights, the bathroom light, and then that sensor looking thing.

If we left the lights on they stayed on. So I dont think its a motion sensor as it just points at the closet door and not into the cabin. :confused:

I wonder if they might be getting ready to implement the new energy efficiency switches like they have on the Magic. You have to have a S&S card "in" the switch for any of the lights in the cabin to work. Maybe these are the new switches but the system hasn't been activated yet.

John H. said that due to somekind of new environmental regulation all ships would be converted within a couple of years.

I wonder if they might be getting ready to implement the new energy efficiency switches like they have on the Magic. You have to have a S&S card "in" the switch for any of the lights in the cabin to work. Maybe these are the new switches but the system hasn't been activated yet.

John H. said that due to somekind of new environmental regulation all ships would be converted within a couple of years.

I don't think so. Had one on the Freedom in 2009.

It's the camera the cabin steward uses to know when you leave the room.:cool::p

That's what I was going to guess. It's Big Brother watching,lol. It would solve some mystery of the other post going on now.

Thanks for the ideas everyone - guess if I sail Carnival again soon I'll just have to ask the steward.

I've used the "Room key slot for electricity" feature before at a hotel in Japan. Great way to save power, although on a ship I could see how it could prevent one from charging up a camera, iPod, etc. when out to dinner...

...and given some of the other threads that are active at the moment I too have been wondering about the whole "motion sensor" thing for attendant use!

That's what I was going to guess. It's Big Brother watching,lol. It would solve some mystery of the other post going on now.

If it is a camera, I'm going to walk around my cabin nude. I bet I can make Big Brother cry.:D

I watched Undercover Boss last night and the President (I think) of Royal Carribbean went undercover. After he opened the door to his cabin, while working undercover, he stuck his magnetic key thingy there. I was wondering what that was too.

Edited by GInMom2

I watched Undercover Boss last night and the President (I think) of Royal Carribbean went undercover. When he went in a cabin while working undercover, he stuck his magnetic key thingy there. I was wondering what that was too.

that was Norwegian Cruise Line, not Royal Caribbean

I always wanted to know what that was also!! I guess I will have to ask in October on my next cruise (if they have it on the Ecstasy)!! Hopefully someone who knows what it is will tell us. I know its not a camera, they can't do that legally and get away with it. (I believe)

I watched Undercover Boss last night and the President (I think) of Royal Carribbean went undercover. After he opened the door to his cabin, while working undercover, he stuck his magnetic key thingy there. I was wondering what that was too.

If you don't put your key in the lights won't go on, when you leave and take it out the lights stay on a minute and go off. Haven't seen them on a ship but plenty of hotels use them, saves electricity.

Could it be a ground fault interruptor? Come out of the shower dripping wet, touch part of the cabin that's in direct contact with the hull and that switch at the same time and you'd probably be in for a surprise!

It can't be a camera, you know the whole invasion of privacy thing, could u imagine the lawsuits?

Another reason to take duct tape with you.

Tape over unusual looking electronic gizmos/gadgets/thingies! :eek: