How does Johnny Rockets stack up?

Guest difrntdrummer

Guest difrntdrummer

Just wondering if any of you had an opinion of how Johnny Rockets compared to your local burger joint? We have Steak-n-Shake here in the midwest. I'm hoping it will satisfy that late night craving for a greasy burger and cheese fries!

Didn't see what all the fuss was about. The onion rings were definitely NOT the best we're ever had, and the fries were warm at best. I did try a chilidog on the last night and enjoyed that. Even the teenagers weren't thrilled. It was a bit of a dissappointment after all the great things we read precruise!!!:(

Only eaten at JR on land... it's decent. I'd put it on par with most fast food burgers, nothing spectacular. The onion rings were good, fries were always limp, and bugers were thin patties, very typical fast food fare. Shakes were also good though I don't know if I'd pay the $3.60 the JR charges on RCL. :)

Yes, shakes and malts are an extra charge. I find JR's at sea or on land to be significantily better than typical fast food. It appears the patties are from fresh, not frozen, beef. Burgers are juicy and very hot. Likewise, the fries and rings I've been served were very hot and very crisp. I think the basic burger is quater pound but you can order double. Qualitywise, I would rate them in the Steak & Shake category. Definitely not of the MacDonald's or Burger King or Wendy's class. They are definitely better than the standard burgers at the Windjammer for no extra charge. For the price charged, basically for all you can eat, is a bargain.

On the 3/12 Navigator, it was only so-so (IMHO). There was a 45 minute wait (though I could sit alone at the counter right away, which I did), however, in the half hour I was there, there were 5-6 empty tables! So not sure how that works!

The onion rings were pretty good (lots of batter, no discernable onion), the burger was bland and cold, not really juicy (a Hardees burger is better); the shake was good but again, I think Hardees chocolate shakes are as good.

Never saw the 'floor show'! Maybe they do it on longer intervals than a half hour?

It was $8 with a shake, I gave $2 for a tip but don't think I would go back. MUCH prefered the Seaview Cafe on the Radiance ships.

To me, Steak N Shake is a good comparison..We have both within a 10 minute drive and eat at both(probably too much :eek: ) and they are similar, though on land, JR is more expensive($5 for a burger, fries or onion rings extra..) Shakes/malts are comparible.

Both are good and I enjoy eating at JR on the ship. Especially those late night greasy goodness urges....

From what I have read from various people on this board and others, I think it's more a timing and staff issue that is going to dictate your experience.

I went to JR's on the AOS in December. It was evening and there only a couple of other couples in there. The staff was great, very entertaining. The fries and onion rings were hot and crisp. The burgers were fresh and delicious.

I have read reviews by other people who went to the same JR's on that ship, but at different times and they had problems and/or complaints.

I enjoy them. They are a step above your average burger joint and their fries and burgers are a lot better then what you are going to get at the windjammer, sitting under the heating lamps. It's worth a shot, if you are willing to pay the cover charge that is.

I haven't been to Johnny Rockets on any ship, but I prefer Checkers over Steak n Shake. I am anxious to try Johnny's on my Sovereign cruise. I haven't seen any down here, but I haven't really looked. I might be missing something great!

I haven't been to Johnny Rockets on land or sea yet, but I took a look at the menu on the Johnny Rockets website. Do the JR's on the RCI ships serve the additional sandwiches like BLT, grilled cheese, egg salad...as offered on the land menu? Also, do they offer the children's size portions? If so, do the children pay the same rate? Turns out there is a JR close to where I work; I may stop in there just for comparison's sake.

I haven't been to Johnny Rockets on land or sea yet, but I took a look at the menu on the Johnny Rocket website. Do the JR's on the RCI ships serve the additional sandwiches like BLT, grilled cheese, egg salad...as offered on the land menu?
In my most recent experience, no.
Also, do they offer the children's size portions? If so, do the children pay the same rate?
no different size portions. everyone pays $3.95 plus drinks.

Carol

I have a JR at home, and the food is pretty good, I like it more for the ambiance than anything else. Just a question about it, does anyone know the hours (I assume it wouldnt be open 24 hours)? Thanks so much! :)

Been to JR's on AOS the last two years. It is worth trying at least once. The waitstaff seem to dance to certain "trigger" songs that they have rehearsed a routine to. "YMCA", "Respect" are the two songs I noticed. Just punch in these songs on the jukebox at your booth and see what happens. Of course, "timing" probably plays into it - time of day, crowd demographics/enthusiasm, and how recently they just performed.

Archived