Reserving deck chairs

bakery

We're a family of four traveling on the Emerald next month. I know that unattended deck chairs are cleared of towels after 30 minutes of non-use. But what if we each have a deck chair? Can my husband and I vouch for our kids' chairs? Or will we have to pull them out of the pool every half hour?

I hope I'm not stirring up a hornet's nest by asking....

We're a family of four traveling on the Emerald next month. I know that unattended deck chairs are cleared of towels after 30 minutes of non-use. But what if we each have a deck chair? Can my husband and I vouch for our kids' chairs? Or will we have to pull them out of the pool every half hour?

If the kids are in the pool and their stuff is on the lounger, there's no problem. On the other hand, if the kids aren't using the lounger, why reserve it? You can always pull a chair nearby for their stuff and for them to use when they're not in the water.

It does seem sort of silly to hold 2 chairs for the kids who will be in the pool for most of the time. The pool side lounge chairs are usually sort after so why take two extra when not needed unless they're the type who sit & read most of the day?

Someone of any age swimming in the pool is entitled to a chair. That is not being a chair hog.

I think it should depend on how long they are in the pool. If you are spending a hunk of time in the pool, you should not take up a chair for someone that wants to sit and stay in the chair.

I really like earlier suggestions about having cubbies in the pool area for people to put their stuff if they're going to be in the pool for awhile. It gives them a place to put their stuff without taking up a chair.

It is good to see the "chair" issue getting some attention. I always felt that anyone that was in the pool and pool area had every right to have a chair reserved. The problem in my mind were those who ran down in the morning to throw items on prime chairs and keep them for the day even when they left the pool for lunch or bingo or whatever. My vote goes for,'the chair is yours as long as you are in the immediate pool area'. JMHO

We used to use 4 loungers when we traveled with our kids by the main family pool. After awhile, we learned that they really didn't use them other than to set their stuff down on while swimming. We started using just 1 lounger for the 2 of them and it worked out well.

As they got older, they wanted to lay out, so of course, we used 4 loungers.

If you're swimming, you should be entitled to a lounge chair. If people don't like it, they have other options like going to the adult pools, finding a lounger on the sides of the ship or getting there earlier. ;)

I think it should depend on how long they are in the pool. If you are spending a hunk of time in the pool, you should not take up a chair for someone that wants to sit and stay in the chair.

I really like earlier suggestions about having cubbies in the pool area for people to put their stuff if they're going to be in the pool for awhile. It gives them a place to put their stuff without taking up a chair.

It would be nice if there were a cubbyhole area set up for those who are just using the pool and don't intend to go sunbathing afterwards.

In the past, I'll be on a lounger in the shady area but close enough to watch the girl and hubby in the pool. But usually not keeping two other lounge chairs with their stuff on them -- maybe just one chair as either hubby or the girl will use it afterwards -- or else the girl and I will share a chair. The exception would be if there's a lot of empty chairs around. If it's very busy, I would feel bad about making others have to walk around looking for an available chair.

Someone of any age swimming in the pool is entitled to a chair. That is not being a chair hog.

You actually don't even have to be in the pool. Just claim a chair, sit down for a while, wander around, eat breakfast & as long as you back in around 30 minutes the chair is still yours.

I have never seen unattended deck chairs cleared of towels after 30 minutes of non-use. We do the clearing ourselves, after asking nearby passengers - though we were scolded on our last cruise because we removed books from chairs that had been unoccupied for the previous 3 hours.

But if your kids aren't using the chairs, why would you save them when other people could sit there?:confused:

Every 30 minutes the cruise director should play music over the PA and everyone should be required to get up and walk the deck until the music stops and everyone finds a chair and sits down.:D

Jim

Every 30 minutes the cruise director should play music over the PA and everyone should be required to get up and walk the deck until the music stops and everyone finds a chair and sits down.:D

Jim[/quot

Jim - LOL. I like your style. Best idea yet! ;)

It would be nice if there were a cubbyhole area set up for those who are just using the pool and don't intend to go sunbathing afterwards.

In the past' date=' I'll be on a lounger in the shady area but close enough to watch the girl and hubby in the pool. But usually not keeping two other lounge chairs with their stuff on them -- maybe just one chair as either hubby or the girl will use it afterwards -- or else the girl and I will share a chair. The exception would be if there's a lot of empty chairs around. If it's very busy, I would feel bad about making others have to walk around looking for an available chair.[/quote']

I think that's a GREAT idea. I know my kids would've used one of those.

Jim

That's hilarious! :D

Thanks for the insightful feedback. My 16 year old is likely to spend a lot of time on the deck, while my 13 year old will spend most of hers in the pool. Sounds like three chairs will do us nicely.

Jim

Love the idea. Could be part of the 'exercise at sea' program (do they still have those, where you would get up at 6am and walk a mile around the promenade each day of the cruise and at the end of the cruise you would get a hat, go figure:rolleyes:).

• 2 weeks later...

If you are in the pool area using the facilities, you have every right to retain a chair for each of you. It's only when people put items on the chairs and are gone for 1/2 the day that they system is being abused.

And unless Princess has changed how they do things, there is no employee paying enough attention to clear items after 30 minutes of non use....

Mike

I don't understand some of the responses. If your kids are in the pool, I see no problem with each of the getting a lounge. After they get out of the pool, they may want to dry off in the sun. Maybe just one child would, and if you just have one chair for two kids, do they sit on the stuff? Or do you put it on the ground and take a chance of it getting wet?

For those who want to sit there and read all day, there are tons of chairs away from the pool. A lot of the chair savers are saving empty chairs..that is the real propblem, not those who are actually swimming.

I have no problems at all with people saving chairs, for their entire family, if they are using the pool.

I don't understand some of the responses. If your kids are in the pool, I see no problem with each of the getting a lounge. After they get out of the pool, they may want to dry off in the sun. Maybe just one child would, and if you just have one chair for two kids, do they sit on the stuff? Or do you put it on the ground and take a chance of it getting wet?

For those who want to sit there and read all day, there are tons of chairs away from the pool. A lot of the chair savers are saving empty chairs..that is the real propblem, not those who are actually swimming.

I have no problems at all with people saving chairs, for their entire family, if they are using the pool.

I think people deserve the right to a chair no matter what they're doing- pool or not but the important thing is that they must be utilizing it not off somewhere else at another activity.

Archived