Is $5 a fair charge at Bistro on 5?

Is $5 a fair charge for Bistro on 5?  

298 members have voted

1. 1. Is $5 a fair charge for Bistro on 5?

• It's a fair price
    • It's a fair price, but I wouldn't pay it
    • It's too much
    • It keeps the crowds down and I'm all for it
    • I think it's simply a money-making strategy
    • Something else (which I'll post)

I don't think the price is bad... but I don't find the food to be good enough. I think it's pretty mediocre and even though the buffet is mediocre as well, there are better choices there for me.

BUT... I don't really have a problem with this "for fee" concept. I just wish the offerings were a bit better. A bit better quality. That is where I feel taken advantage of. I'm interested to see the offerings on the Porch. It looks like such an awesome space. I hope it's good.

I've always thought that the specialty restaurants should be included in the price, just like they are for suites. Give each cabin one 'free' meal in a specialty restaurant and Bistro on 5 and the Porch. Everyone can reserve before they come onboard. Then if there are remaining spots after a certain deadline (say, 3 or 4 days before the end of the cruise) people can book again at a per person charge. They could easily tack on an extra $50 to the cruise fare (which would be completely in the 'noise' of the cruise fare) or even $1 extra per person per day on the autotip to do this, and it would be so much classier and sophisticated.

JMHO

(Ducks to avoid incoming flames.)

I think one of the plus points about places like Bistro on 5 and other Specialty Restaurants is it gives added choice. By adding a price to the cruise fare it takes that choice away. You are paying for it whether you eat there or not. For me they are a nice "optional extra" in a quieter environment. Giving 2850 people the chance to eat at them for no fee would take that away.

I would debate that the $5 charge is a money making strategy. If only 100 people eat there on a single day, that's only $500 extra revenue. If the food quality is a notch above what is available in the no-fee venues (and I can attest to that), then the expense of providing that food is more expensive as well. I fail to see how Celebrity can be making a profit large enough to warrant that commitment of space, labor resources, and additional food inventories.

To me, being a practical and logical type of person, I strongly believe that Celebrity honestly wants to provide as varied an experience aboard their ships as possible and have included these venues to attain that goal.

Then what's in it for Celebrity if they don't make money from that $5? By promoting that their ships have these additional venues, they are enhancing the desirability of their product and enticing more potential business in a crowded market. The "making money" part is getting you to sail on their ships instead of someone else's because you find the ship's features more enticing than the competition's. More customers = more "money-making". The $5 is either crowd control or a form of gratuity for the staff who provides enhanced service.

I think that is an excellent summary.

Phil

$5 is really not much. I wouldn't think twice about it. The question is really about how many extra charges are starting to work them selves into the cruise. Sure you can now eat without added cost in the MDR, buffet, pool, etc. You will not be hungry. However, with the adding of more fee restaurants and activities as the ships get solsticized, there will be people who may feel left out from the complete cruise experience. I have seen more price reductions as competition in the cruise business. For me, the basic price has become more competitive. I don't mind the extra fees. I am not thrilled about paying extra for reserved deck chairs or paying extra for some items in the MDR. How many more things will the cruise line add an extra surcharge?

$5 is really not much. I wouldn't think twice about it. The question is really about how many extra charges are starting to work them selves into the cruise. Sure you can now eat without added cost in the MDR, buffet, pool, etc. You will not be hungry. However, with the adding of more fee restaurants and activities as the ships get solsticized, there will be people who may feel left out from the complete cruise experience. I have seen more price reductions as competition in the cruise business. For me, the basic price has become more competitive. I don't mind the extra fees. I am not thrilled about paying extra for reserved deck chairs or paying extra for some items in the MDR. How many more things will the cruise line add an extra surcharge?

How do you define:"Complete cruise experience"? For me it means enjoying being on a wonderful ship and meeting great people. My fondest memories do not include anything that has to do with money. That being said, I'm repeating myself here, not all cruisers have the ability to afford the same things. To say that one can't enjoy a full experience because they can't afford the upcharges is like saying one cannot have a full dining experience because they can't afford the most expensive wine on the menu.

Archived