Is $5 a fair charge at Bistro on 5?

Is $5 a fair charge for Bistro on 5?  

298 members have voted

1. 1. Is $5 a fair charge for Bistro on 5?

• It's a fair price
    • It's a fair price, but I wouldn't pay it
    • It's too much
    • It keeps the crowds down and I'm all for it
    • I think it's simply a money-making strategy
    • Something else (which I'll post)

Of all the upcharge venues throughout the fleets, I believe this one to be the best value.

I originally was opposed to any "upcharge". Old school type of cruiser. But I have found over the years that I will occasionally try them. Some I discard as not "worth" the price of admission, and others, like Bistro become a part of my cruising experience.

In the food venues I now in the camp of those who think like this:

I think it demonstrates you have to give something a try first to get a true picture of what something is like and whether it represents value.

I would debate that the $5 charge is a money making strategy. If only 100 people eat there on a single day, that's only $500 extra revenue. If the food quality is a notch above what is available in the no-fee venues (and I can attest to that), then the expense of providing that food is more expensive as well. I fail to see how Celebrity can be making a profit large enough to warrant that commitment of space, labor resources, and additional food inventories.

To me, being a practical and logical type of person, I strongly believe that Celebrity honestly wants to provide as varied an experience aboard their ships as possible and have included these venues to attain that goal.

Then what's in it for Celebrity if they don't make money from that $5? By promoting that their ships have these additional venues, they are enhancing the desirability of their product and enticing more potential business in a crowded market. The "making money" part is getting you to sail on their ships instead of someone else's because you find the ship's features more enticing than the competition's. More customers = more "money-making". The $5 is either crowd control or a form of gratuity for the staff who provides enhanced service.

Very good points and I agree, along with what appears to be over 80% of those taking the poll! Good insight.

Den

Celebrity has a lot of good things going for it but two reasons not to cruise with them are Bistro on 5 and the Porch. Both should be included.

We can use whatever rationale to decide not to cruise on some Line, but a $5 charge for a specialty restaurant keeps you from cruising some Line?

Do you not cruise on a Line that charges extra for special steaks at the MDR? Do you not cruise some Line that restricts passengers from set dining venues due their SR class? Do you not cruise some Line that has special pool and lounge areas restricted to Suites? Seems like using those criteria would greatly limit what cruise line you'd use, but each of us use various rationales,,,,,all of them very subjective.

Den

We can use whatever rationale to decide not to cruise on some Line, but a $5 charge for a specialty restaurant keeps you from cruising some Line?

Do you not cruise on a Line that charges extra for special steaks at the MDR? Do you not cruise some Line that restricts passengers from set dining venues due their SR class? Do you not cruise some Line that has special pool and lounge areas restricted to Suites? Seems like using those criteria would greatly limit what cruise line you'd use, but each of us use various rationales,,,,,all of them very subjective.

Den

Add to that the charges for sodas, alcoholic drinks, bottled water, upscale coffees, etc. If one is going to stop cruising Celebrity over a $5 charge for something they don't even have to purchase, they should also stop cruising on Celebrity because of all the rest of the extra charges. Otherwise, they are just complaining for the sake of complaining.

Den

I don't care about the $5 charge (we like Bistro) but Celebrity actually doesn't do any of those things. LOL

I would prefer a la carte pricing for cruises. Offer a lower base price and allow the passengers to decide what they want to add. Not all of us have the same interests or resources. One reason I don't take some lines is that they have an "all inclusive" pricing policy. I don't drink (other than ginger ale) and don't want to in effect be charged for other people's drinks. Must say that I don't mind picking up a tab for friends, but that's my choice. The price for Bistro on 5 is more than reasonable to me.

We go to the Bistro at least twice on a cruise - on embarkation day to avoid the crowds at the buffet and usually on a sea day. Love the Nutella/banana dessert crepe which is worth $5 By itself. We usually find a table or two of ship's officers relaxing there - they must appreciate the food and peace and quiet too.

We think it is very fair! What a perfect way to start out the cruise on embarkation day. Our cabin was ready when we boarded, shortly after 11:00 a.m. We went up, dropped off our carryons and went to Bistro on 5 and relaxed with a nice lunch.

Think about it this way. On the morning of your cruise, you are leaving your hotel to head towards the port. You are hungry, you think it's somewhere between breakfast and lunch so you stop in at a McDonalds, Denny's, your hotel restaurant or even Cracker Barrell. You know you are going to spend $5 - $10/pp. Go directly to the port, board the ship and go to Bristro on 5. For $5 - such a better meal AND a much better atmosphere!

I don't care about the $5 charge (we like Bistro) but Celebrity actually doesn't do any of those things. LOL

Oh yes they do!! The dining room, Blu, is only for AQ staterooms, and if available to suite guests at a $5 per person charge....no one else can eat there.

And Royal, Royal does all the rest that Denny mentions....

Oh yes they do!! The dining room, Blu, is only for AQ staterooms, and if available to suite guests at a $5 per person charge....no one else can eat there.

What type of food does Blu serve? Isn't it healthier food usually? That's what I thought it was, not everyone likes that kind of food, do they?

I've been on Celebrity, but never qualified to sit in the Blu Restaurant because we only bought a balcony.

Anyway, I never ate at Bistro on 5 either. I ate at Johnny Rocket's on Royal Caribbean (both before there was a surcharge and after there was one). We've tried Portofino's (also on Royal Caribbean) too and to me it just too much food. I haven't tried Celebrity's specialty restaurants simply because I was happy with the buffet. There is everything at the buffet. I'm vegetarian and can find tons. :)

I don't think that qualifies. He stated that Dining room venues are restricted due to a SR class. Basically, Blu is a specialty restaurant that you must book a Spa stateroom and basically pay for the fee ahead of time (usually the difference in price is about the same as a specialty restaurant charge). A perk given to suite staterooms is limited, space available, access to Blu for a fee.

It's not like other lines where a specified MDR is for different sailing classes, basically making sure those suite pax aren't co-mingling with the steerage.

And we're talking about Celebrity. Not royal.

Celebrity has a lot of good things going for it but two reasons not to cruise with them are Bistro on 5 and the Porch. Both should be included.

Really? Because 2 venues have charges? It would never occur to me

not to sail with them because of those charges.

Different strokes for different folks.

I've always thought that the specialty restaurants should be included in the price, just like they are for suites. Give each cabin one 'free' meal in a specialty restaurant and Bistro on 5 and the Porch. Everyone can reserve before they come onboard. Then if there are remaining spots after a certain deadline (say, 3 or 4 days before the end of the cruise) people can book again at a per person charge. They could easily tack on an extra $50 to the cruise fare (which would be completely in the 'noise' of the cruise fare) or even $1 extra per person per day on the autotip to do this, and it would be so much classier and sophisticated.

JMHO

(Ducks to avoid incoming flames.)

I've always thought that the specialty restaurants should be included in the price, just like they are for suites. Give each cabin one 'free' meal in a specialty restaurant and Bistro on 5 and the Porch. Everyone can reserve before they come onboard. Then if there are remaining spots after a certain deadline (say, 3 or 4 days before the end of the cruise) people can book again at a per person charge. They could easily tack on an extra $50 to the cruise fare (which would be completely in the 'noise' of the cruise fare) or even $1 extra per person per day on the autotip to do this, and it would be so much classier and sophisticated.

JMHO

(Ducks to avoid incoming flames.)

So would including one excursion and raising the prices another $75. And a bottle of wine - another $35. Two drinks at any bar - another $15. A massage in the spa - another $150. One up-scale coffee per day - another $50 for 7-days, $100 for 14-days. And on and on and on, and pretty soon the cruise will cost twice as much as it does today and then you'd complain that it's too expensive to cruise any more.

So would including one excursion and raising the prices another $75. And a bottle of wine - another $35. Two drinks at any bar - another $15. A massage in the spa - another $150. One up-scale coffee per day - another $50 for 7-days, $100 for 14-days. And on and on and on, and pretty soon the cruise will cost twice as much as it does today and then you'd complain that it's too expensive to cruise any more.

All were saying is food should be included. I can handle a couple of high end pay restaurants on a ship but what I can't handle is paying for a crepe or salad. Those charges piss me off.

I would rather the cruise price be higher by what ever it takes for Celebrity to be profitable than to have this over the top nickel and dimming.

My only solution is to quit cruising. Instead of 4-5 cruises a year I'm down to 1 every year and a half. I was sold on aqua class where you pay more and get better food.

I don't think that qualifies. He stated that Dining room venues are restricted due to a SR class. Basically, Blu is a specialty restaurant that you must book a Spa stateroom and basically pay for the fee ahead of time (usually the difference in price is about the same as a specialty restaurant charge). A perk given to suite staterooms is limited, space available, access to Blu for a fee.

It's not like other lines where a specified MDR is for different sailing classes, basically making sure those suite pax aren't co-mingling with the steerage.

And we're talking about Celebrity. Not royal.

The other items he mentioned were Royal, and I think he mentioned them because you list Royal ships in your signature.

AQ is NOT necessarily more expensive, frequently is NOT. My upcoming Med cruise AQ staterooms were less expensive than Concierege but that class can't eat at Blu. In fact, all three of my AQ cruises those staterooms have been less expensive than C1-C3. Yes suites can eat in Blu for a fee., if there is availability, frequently there is not....I do understand your point and also believe I know which line you are referring to but Blu really isn't a specialty restaurant, it's for Aqua class staterooms, which means it qualifies in the context he was using... in my opinion of course....

The other items he mentioned were Royal, and I think he mentioned them because you list Royal ships in your signature.

AQ is NOT necessarily more expensive, frequently is NOT. My upcoming Med cruise AQ staterooms were less expensive than Concierege but that class can't eat at Blu. In fact, all three of my AQ cruises those staterooms have been less expensive than C1-C3. Yes suites can eat in Blu for a fee., if there is availability, frequently there is not....I do understand your point and also believe I know which line you are referring to but Blu really isn't a specialty restaurant, it's for Aqua class staterooms, which means it qualifies in the context he was using... in my opinion of course....

He wasn't really addressing me, but the person who would stop cruising.

I'll pay $5 any day to not have to deal with the buffet.

All were saying is food should be included. I can handle a couple of high end pay restaurants on a ship but what I can't handle is paying for a crepe or salad. Those charges piss me off.

I get what you're saying, but I don't think it's truly a reasonable argument when you can get salad basically 24 hours a day in the buffet, from room service, as well as at the aqua spa. If the only place to get salad outside the MDR was a pay restaurant, I can see how that would be annoying.

I think a crepe or a pannini would qualify as a specialty item and worth a nominal charge.

The International Cafe on Princess is free of charge, and is very popular. They make fresh panini, have fancy quiches and soups, and put out trays of fresh-baked cookies all day. At breakfast they have pastries instead of panini and oatmeal instead of soup. It's wonderful. I thought the Porch would be something like this, until they instituted the $5 pp charge.

Yes, I was responding to the post about not cruising with Celebrity because it charges $5 for a specialty restaurant. I questioned why an optional venue with a relatively low cost would be a reason to not pick a cruise line, and I then listed a few examples of what Cruise Lines, not Just Celebirty, charge extra for and venues that are not available to all cruisers. It was my attempt of putting the comment about not cruising because of Bistro into perspective, at least My perspective.

Den

Archived