How are Dining Room Tables Assigned?

On our last cruise we requested a small (4 or less) table. We ended up sitting at a table for ten! It turned out great. All our table mates were about our age, were previous cruisers and C&A members. Seeing them throughout the cruise on deck, in port, by the pool, made our trip even better. Whether this was by planning or chance, I don't know. But we did have a wonderful time!

I used to think RCCL put a lot of thought into dining room seating until our last cruise on the Enchantment where assignments were clearly based on cabin location.

We are Platinum C&A with kids ages 15 & 6. On Enchantment my husband and I were traveling alone. We took an inside guarantee cabin about 3 weeks prior to sailing. We were seated at a table for 6. The other 4 people at our table were college kids on spring break and they were part of the party of 10 seated at the table beside us. So basically, the 2 of us were seated with a party of 14. Their cabins were 3 doors down from ours. There were plenty of open seats in the dining room and at the end of dinner on the second night of our 4 night cruise the head waiter did offer to switch our table, but our table mates had already told us that they weren't coming to dinner the next night, so we decided to stick it out. They really were nice people and we wouldn't have had any complaints if there hadn't been so much talking between tables with the larger group of 10 - it was very awkward.

In previous experiences, we have always been assigend to people we had something in common with -- age, geographic location, C&A Platinum status, etc. Once we were even at a table for 6 where a family of 3 had a 20-something daughter with them -- the 6th seat at our table was assigned to a single man in his early 30's -- they didn't hit it off, but wouldn't that have been a neat fate story!!

When we were traveling with a group of 17 over Thanksgiving last year our TA told us that each ship does have a "dining coordinator" (the maitre'd??) who handles the table assignments. We were told that assignemtns aren't made more than 1 or 2 weeks prior to sailing. My guess is that some of them put more thought into the seating assignments than others.

Anyway, if you absolutely hate your table assignment, speak up right away. Upon boarding the ship you can go into the dining room and see your table size and location (table number is printed on your seapass card). If you don't like what you see, go to the maitre-d that afternoon (he will have posted hours) and request a change. If they have something available, they will accommodate you.

- PAGA

For our next cruise (Jewel in Oct) we were able to request an age range. We always request a large table figuring, not only the more the merrier, but also, there's a larger chance of finding someone we have something in common with.

For our 25th anniversary (many moons ago) we were seated with others also celebrating anniversaries. One of them not only was also celebrating their 25th, but got married the same day and same time we did! We had a great time with everyone from that table.

My TA requested our table when I made our booking, since I had asked for a table for two as we were on honeymoon, however she could not request a table for two, only a table for four, which was the least number of people that could be pre assigned to a table.

Upon arriving onboard the ship,we went to see the maitre d and requested a table for two,he said he would try but it could not be guaranteed. We had dinner the first night with a family of five, which was a bit odd as we had nothing in common with these people (I got the feeling we were only seated there temporarily as our original table was a table for four).

The next day we received a card with our new table number and we saw our request for a table for two was granted. We really liked our table for two, and will request one again!

Its been my experience that our table location was based on our room and deck, at least on the last four cruises or so. When not travelling with a group, our tablemates have been in similar cabins (suites) and fairly close by..same deck and side. Deb

we will shortly be going on our 14th cruise.

we have had tables ranging between one for 2 and one for 10. When booking we give our ages and request a medium size, so work that one out. We have been very fortunate and have always enjoyed the company of our tablemates and even keep in contact. The only time we were apprehensive was on our last cruise on the Vision. It was a table for 8 and we were the last to arrive. I am 46 and DH is 51. All the others were aged from 24 - 28, Same age as our children. Talk about " meet the parents " we shouldn't have worried as we get on with most and we all had a ball. It helped that we are from England and the crowd were from Sacramento. So if anyone knows Christa,Mony,Margaret, Dale ( mother TA) , Mat ( fell off quadbike in cabo ) and Lon, say " hi " for us.

I have no clue how they make the table arrangements, however so far they did it always fine for me.

I don´t think it has to do with cabin categories as I´ve usually been seated with people from all categories (from Suites to inside)

Madforcruising, I agree with you. I don't think there are any "special arrangements" when it comes to assigning dinner tables. And so far 6 cruises with RCI we have been very lucky. We got to sit with nice people. The other people were from different cabin categories, different parts of the U.S. and some had children that were way younger than my 2 kids. Once they sat us with a family with 2 kids who were the same age as my 2. I honestly don't think RCI has a system. It's the luck of the draw :rolleyes:

hom_noflash_img.jpg

We always request a large table and are invariable assigned a table for 4. So we trudge off to the maitre d' and change to a larger table. The funny thing is, we often overhear people complaining that they requested a small table and got a large. So I don't think they pay any attention to your requests, although they make take things like children into account. Perhaps on the international cruises they also take nationality/language into account.

Haven't cruised with RCCL yet, but from my experience with other lines, it seemed as if they basically took all the room keys before we got on board, shuffled them, threw them in the air and whatever table they landed at, you sat at.

Archived