Assigned Seats

Pather

Hi - after coming from MSP on Delta, we're flying AMS to BCN round trip on KLM in Oct. We apparently can't get assigned seats. Been told that they'll be assigned at gate. Anyone know a way around this? I'm claustrophobic and need an aisle seat. I always try to get seats months ahead but wonder how early I need to get to gate to get an aisle seat. I have medication but have never needed it. We have assigned seats from MSP to AMS and back. Thanks!

If it's nonstop, this flight is a little over two hours. Did you indicate that you preferred an aisle seat when booking your flight? You have the option of paying for an Economy Comfort seat, and choosing before check in. Go to "manage my booking" if you are interested in this option.

You will be able to choose seats 30 hours before departure. You do not have to wait until you arrive at the gate.

If it's nonstop, this flight is a little over two hours. Did you indicate that you preferred an aisle seat when booking your flight? You have the option of paying for an Economy Comfort seat, and choosing before check in. Go to "manage my booking" if you are interested in this option.

You will be able to choose seats 30 hours before departure. You do not have to wait until you arrive at the gate.

We have spent the few extra $'s and upgraded on DL to Economy Comfort on our roundtrip International portion from ATL-BCN..Taking us from rows #35 HJ & #30 AB to #11 HJ..Hope it's well spent as this is a new option for us with DL....Thoughts ??

We have spent the few extra $'s and upgraded on DL to Economy Comfort on our roundtrip International portion from ATL-BCN..Taking us from rows #35 HJ & #30 AB to #11 HJ..Hope it's well spent as this is a new option for us with DL....Thoughts ??

Can't comment as I'm not a DL flyer, but for what appears to not be a very high cost, I'm for anything that provides more leg room. Just a few inches makes a huge difference in those long flights.

Besides, the closer to the front of the plane, the first off, and the earlier you will reach immigration.

In June, I paid for EC on a Delta flight coming back from China - I paid for the longest flight, NRT-ATL. Normal cost for that flight would be $160, but I'm silver medallion and paid $120. Was it worth it - not for me. You get extra legroom (not a problem for me usually - not on 777s) and extra recline (that is nice, but I had a window so I would have been able to sleep without it) The free drinks didn't matter - I usually only drink wine (which is free on international flights in coach anyway) and the FAs didn't have alcohol on their carts most of the time they passed through the cabin - they certainly didn't help me find a drink - just said "don't have that on the cart now".

KLM also has economy comfort - I haven't flown it on their planes but have seen the sections (almost upgraded on a flight AMS - JRO -that's Tanzania:p but decided against it) That was my last KLM flight and my seats changed 3 times before I boarded the plane - despite having had assigned seats in advance. Ah well. Drink service was much better on KLM than it was on Delta;)

Hi - after coming from MSP on Delta, we're flying AMS to BCN round trip on KLM in Oct. We apparently can't get assigned seats. Been told that they'll be assigned at gate. Anyone know a way around this? I'm claustrophobic and need an aisle seat. I always try to get seats months ahead but wonder how early I need to get to gate to get an aisle seat. I have medication but have never needed it. We have assigned seats from MSP to AMS and back. Thanks!
Info on KLM seating can be found HERE. You will need your KL locator (which may be different than your DL locator).

It's always good to go to the operating carrier website for information.

I tried to book an comfort class on a DL flight, on-line, but had a problem determining what the extra cost. Generally, how much more does it cost?
Price is dependent on the specific flight. If you go to your reservation through the My Trips link on the DL website, you will get the specific pricing and availability for your trip. A call to DL would also provide that info.

What you have been told is correct. I would add that Delta may be able to help you as your departure date approaches.

If not, we were on a similar type of flight, AMS-PRG, on KLM (in October). It was about 50% full, so there was no problem moving to any type of seat.

Finally, after arriving, you will walk thru AMS, thru Schengen Passport control (like US Security) to the regional airline gates. When you get there, find a KLM gate agent and ask for their help. Ours were very accomodating when we did this.

Finally, after arriving, you will walk thru AMS, thru Schengen Passport control (like US Security) to the regional airline gates. When you get there, find a KLM gate agent and ask for their help. Ours were very accomodating when we did this.

There are KL transfer desks in the extra-Schengen section as well. Note, however, that KL has cut back on their staffing and replaced them with banks of kiosks. Also, there are kiosks throughout the concourses, so you don't have to go to a transfer desk to find one. You might try them before waiting in line for an agent.

I have had varying success getting a pre-assigned seat for intra-Europe KLM flights when connecting from Delta (and Northworst prior to their demise). Sometimes I could get one by calling the U.S. carrier; sometimes not. Sometimes I could get an assignment at my U.S. departure airport; sometimes not. Sometimes calling KLM worked, sometimes not. There didn't seem to be any rhyme nor reason {fare class, front of plane or cattle car, Frequent Flyer ticket or $$}. I finally decided it was a random Quantum Mechanical event. So, give all the above a try and see what happens.

If you don't win the lottery, you can get your assignment at the departure gate (as mentioned above) OR at one of the transfer desks you will walk past as you walk towards passport control. The latter will get you your assignment earlier, thereby improving your changes of getting a reasonable seat. Bonus hint: there is usually a much longer line at the first transfer desk you get to then at the second one.

You might also want to claim Lateral Knee Flotizikiq which makes it very difficult to slide into and out of a window seat. Can't hurt; might help.

The SkyTeam alliance is bizarre when it comes to seating - we're booked on Air france (premium voyageur) for a trip in Sept - now, I know I cannot get my intra-Europe seats until I check in @30 hours, but on the Air France site, I couldn't get any seat assignments. On the Delta site, they were even missing one of the segments (I called the medallion number, clerk said she could see all my flights, no clue why they weren't showing up online, but not to worry...I called a couple of times and spoke to different people with the same results....) But on the KLM website - I could pick seats (for the trans-atl segment and my US segment) How bizarre!

(then Air France cancelled a flight completely and didn't rebook - but thankfully I'm obsessed with checking online every couple of days and noticed this - when we called to get rebooked - they put us in business class:p Too bad it's only ATL-RDU at the end of the trip:rolleyes:)

I really like the Amsterdam airport - even when crowded, I've not had any problems getting the help I need, getting boarding passes, getting to the gates, etc. Signage is easy to understand, too. Good luck!

We had the same situation when we flew KLM to BCN via AMS. My understanding is that this is the way it is with most airlines and isn't unique to KLM. It wasn't a problem for us and my DH and I still got seated together although not in my preferred window seat. The flight was fairly short so it wasn't a problem for us.

• 1 month later...
I tried to book an comfort class on a DL flight, on-line, but had a problem determining what the extra cost.

Generally, how much more does it cost?

I upgraded to Economy Comfort on my two long Delta flights for my cruise - JFK to Rome (FCO?) and Amsterdam to Detroit. I paid $40 for each leg and think I saw somewhere that my discount for being Gold on Delta was 50% in both cases. So it was regularly priced at $80 per leg. It depends on the flights, distances, cities, etc

Archived