Chair Hog pictures... post 'em here!

cruzn buckeye

Funny thing is I was sitting in a dual lounger on the Miracle early one morning on the Serenity deck. I watched purple all morning come and leave stuff. Most stayed with their items. The most funny thing was I had two purple come up to me and accuse me of sitting in their chair. Kinda hard since I had been sitting there watching the sunrise since six in the morning.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Funny thing is I was sitting in a dual lounger on the Miracle early one morning on the Serenity deck. I watched purple all morning come and leave stuff. Most stayed with their items. The most funny thing was I had two purple come up to me and accuse me of sitting in their chair. Kinda hard since I had been sitting there watching the sunrise since six in the morning.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Did you check the bottom or the back? Maybe they wrote their name there or marked it like some territorial animals do and therefore it was "theirs" for the duration! ;)

To read different views. They're some who state if it's empty, I'm taking it, they're others who wait or just look for towels only, nothing else.

I did a review of the Elation where I questioned myself if I was being a chair hog. This is what I posted: "Chair hogs were about, but not too bad. At least one family member was around the “saved chairs” at all times. I was a single with two groups of about 4 chairs on either side. They would all come and go now and then, but at least one person from their party would remain. The people to either side of me would also change throughout the day. When I had to leave my spot for a bit, (you know bathroom, food, etc), the people to the side of me were always accommodating. Is this chair hogging? I don’t think so. DH would pass by and if the seat next to me was empty, he would sit."

To me chogging are those who do get up at 7-8 am, put a towel down and then leave for long periods at a time.

In the south of france there are some resorts that do a sunbed/chair locker system. all the sunbeds are folded and locked and you pay a 5 Euro or so deposit fee and its unlocked for you. For some reason this freed up a lot of sunbeds...even at midday. Another related incident was a lady leaving a dirty nappy on a sunbed in Portugal while she went off somewhere and no-one dared move it.

We didn't have many chair hoggers on the Legend but we were going round the Baltic. Thankfully my polarbearness could stand the water and we got sunbeds right by the pool when we needed them. I did see stickers on a few chairs though.

To be honest I think its rude when people with no desire to swim hog the spots right by the pool that stop us water babies and young families sitting there.

To read different views. They're some who state if it's empty, I'm taking it, they're others who wait or just look for towels only, nothing else.

I did a review of the Elation where I questioned myself if I was being a chair hog. This is what I posted: "Chair hogs were about, but not too bad. At least one family member was around the “saved chairs” at all times. I was a single with two groups of about 4 chairs on either side. They would all come and go now and then, but at least one person from their party would remain. The people to either side of me would also change throughout the day. When I had to leave my spot for a bit, (you know bathroom, food, etc), the people to the side of me were always accommodating. Is this chair hogging? I don’t think so. DH would pass by and if the seat next to me was empty, he would sit."

To me chogging are those who do get up at 7-8 am, put a towel down and then leave for long periods at a time.

Hogging is if your butt is comfortable in another location. Are you enjoying another activity or involved elsewhere.? If I go to the buffet I will only save a table if my family is on their way up. If their butts are in bed then sleeping is the activity they are enjoying, no extra seats. Unless your butt is big enough to be comfortable in 2 seats in 2 different location, you are hogging.

99.9 percent of the time if you are asking, you know. No one ever ask, I am always in the chair, am I hogging?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Forums mobile app

By Carnival rules, "long periods of time" is anything over 40 minutes. If a chair is empty for for than 40 minutes and you're saving it, then that's the definition of being a CHOG.

Rules are for the wise, blind observant of fools- WW2 British General.

So if I am leaving with a certain degree of certainty that I am going to be comfortable elsewhere, regardless of time, I take my things. If I run off to to buffet to have lunch, even for 15 minutes, I would take my things. Maybe I am going back to the cabin to pour myself a drink, ooops, I do believe I said, rules are for the wise, blind observant of fools!. Most of us do things we aren't suppose so show some level of consideration in the process. Know that if I take my chair or if you want mine, you can have it, because I am not getting down and dirty with a hog. I am not standing around knowing you were gone for awhile without sitting down.

I am going on my first Carnival Cruise in just under 50 days on the Magic. I love this thread! Some thoughts (some echoed, others new):

1. Chair Hogs are NOT limited to CCL! Disney certainly had their share. It sounds like Carnival might be getting better at policing the issue than they used to be. DCL had a towel attendant: I would see him walk through and remove towels, so I'm sure they were keeping track of the "30 minute rule."

2. If you have been on a cruise and have never seen a chair hog, or thought they weren't bad, you might want to think about that. The chair hog... might... be... you!

3. What irritates me is a family/group holding chairs with one person for endless amounts of time. For example, a family of 4 will have mom hold 4 chairs, even if dad is off at a beer tasting, kids are in the pool the entire time. And then, the kids are ready to go, mom gets up and removes the towels, flip flops, etc. with the group never using the chairs! Unless your group of 8 will all be seated/sunning at the same time, why use that many?

On DCL, I had to explain the concept to my MOM AND DAD! Don't get me wrong, I love them, but should I really have to explain to them that there were only 4 of us sitting at a time? Why on earth did we need 9 chairs? The kids never sat down the entire cruise - why would it be different at the pool! I should have taken a pic of my pool hog parents, mom and dad sitting with 6 or 7 chairs between them, all empty.

That said, it took a little tough love (well, actually explaining) that there were not enough chairs on board for everyone to have one, so that maybe we should just use a few at a time. They are normally very considerate, kind hearted people who simply had their "cruise goggles" on.

I like to think that's true for most chair hogs - their cruise goggles are on and it takes some tough love to thwack them about the head and knock them off! :) I simply explain the chair saving policy, and maybe even point them to another chair that has been unoccupied 45 minutes! If they are just jerks about it, I would welcome them to get security, but I've never seen it escalate to that.

Archived