Chair Hog pictures... post 'em here!

cruzn buckeye

Since it rained for nearly the entire duration of our recent Ecstasy cruise, I thought I'd see a lot of chair and table hogs in the covered areas of the lido and serenity decks. I was very pleased that this was not the case. We encountered a very polite and friendly group of travelers on this sailing.

We were on the Liberty last June and it was raing off and on during our last sea day. As people would get up run and haul all of their stuff inside we would slid down closer to the pool. Eventually it stoped raing and a couple of "ladies" came back and demanded their chairs. HA!

Your on a ship, by the pool and you run inside with all of your stuff because you don't want to get wet????

We were on the Liberty last June and it was raing off and on during our last sea day. As people would get up run and haul all of their stuff inside we would slid down closer to the pool. Eventually it stoped raing and a couple of "ladies" came back and demanded their chairs. HA!

Your on a ship, by the pool and you run inside with all of your stuff because you don't want to get wet????

You move, you lose! :D

We witnessed that a few years ago. One of the funniest things we've ever seen on a cruise.

Dh and I laying in a couple of loungers. People all around. People in the pool. The sky opened up and it was RIDICULOUS to see the people scrambling to get in from the rain. We looked at each other in disbelief. :confused:

The shower lasted all of a minute.

• 2 months later...

When it gets crowded by the pool, I make a note of the lounges near me, and write the time to myself. 30+ minutes later, I will remove the belongings from a couple of lounges and place everything with the towel attendant. No cost to the ship for another person to do this! I feel good that I made a place available for more timid people to be able to get a lounge. When the guilty party returns I tell them that their belongings are with the attendant. They usually look sheepish and go to collect their things, but never have I had an irate passenger spew venom at me... they all know they are guilty as charged.

When it gets crowded by the pool, I make a note of the lounges near me, and write the time to myself. 30+ minutes later, I will remove the belongings from a couple of lounges and place everything with the towel attendant. No cost to the ship for another person to do this! I feel good that I made a place available for more timid people to be able to get a lounge. When the guilty party returns I tell them that their belongings are with the attendant. They usually look sheepish and go to collect their things, but never have I had an irate passenger spew venom at me... they all know they are guilty as charged.

You should cruise with us!! Nice thing you are doing

When it gets crowded by the pool, I make a note of the lounges near me, and write the time to myself. 30+ minutes later, I will remove the belongings from a couple of lounges and place everything with the towel attendant.

30 minutes!!!! Good grief!!! That's ridiculous. I don't mind folks saving who are just headed to the bathroom or to get a drink or something, but any longer than 10 minutes is just rude and selfish. The pics were funny and very telling. Good thread!

I am cruising in 11 days & I will be removing towels. I'm necessarily a confrontational person by nature, but I have NO problem being that way when it involves unnecessarily rude people. My boyfriend on the other hand will be MORTIFIED, I can see it already. Don't care though. Not dealing with the rudeness.

• 1 year later...

I have a chair hog ethics question for you guys.

I'll be getting married at Grand Turk on our 1st stop and have 25 guests with me. On our 2nd spot we have a Cabana rented at HMC for the older family members (70-82yrs old) and since we have VIP boarding due to being a wedding party I assume we will have our pick of the lot and will be getting something far down the beach. Since we also have priority tendering my then wife and I should be on the 1st tender to HMC.

Here's the question, is it chair hogging if we round up 10-15 or so chairs for those I KNOW will be joining us and place them in the vicinity of our cabana and "reserve" them for the rest of the wedding party coming on following tenders just as soon as Carnival can get them there? I almost see that as a favor to cruisers that may unknowingly setup shop in the middle of a group and get talked over during their relaxing beach day. I'd prefer not rustling anyone jimmies in the process though :D What say you, would you be offended? Not a single one of us have cruised before.

Quoting myself to repeat the question. Is this frowned upon in the same way it would be poolside?

The cabana we had on Mahogany Beach (Roatan) during a recent cruise on the Conquest came with a double lounger on the beach, two loungers on the porch of the cabana and a double size hammock. I am not sure about your cabana but ours said maximum of four people. And I am not even sure if there will be enough room for twenty-five or so chairs in front of your cabana since each area allotted isn't that big. You might want to check with the people who are in charge of up keeping the cabanas on a daily basis.

I tried posting photos of ours but for some reason or the other my Photobucket just isn't working here anymore.

I have a chair hog ethics question for you guys.

I'll be getting married at Grand Turk on our 1st stop and have 25 guests with me. On our 2nd spot we have a Cabana rented at HMC for the older family members (70-82yrs old) and since we have VIP boarding due to being a wedding party I assume we will have our pick of the lot and will be getting something far down the beach. Since we also have priority tendering my then wife and I should be on the 1st tender to HMC.

Here's the question, is it chair hogging if we round up 10-15 or so chairs for those I KNOW will be joining us and place them in the vicinity of our cabana and "reserve" them for the rest of the wedding party coming on following tenders just as soon as Carnival can get them there? I almost see that as a favor to cruisers that may unknowingly setup shop in the middle of a group and get talked over during their relaxing beach day. I'd prefer not rustling anyone jimmies in the process though :D What say you, would you be offended? Not a single one of us have cruised before.

For me if majority of your party is there and it's not going to be for a long time, then it should be fine. Bottom line, first come, first serve thing for me because 5 people reserving 15 chairs while other look around might not sit well with many.

I am going on my first cuise next month and have a quick question:

Are all chairs hogged up early in the morning or is it just around the pool and hot tubs?

Thanks.

Generally just on the pool deck and in the adult/quiet area. My husband and I like to sit one deck up from the pool and in 8 cruises have never had a problem finding a lounger. Too noisy by the pool and too hot in the serenity area for us.

I am not sure if I am more amazed that this has gone on for 22 pages or that I spent the time reading all 22 pages

The cabana we had on Mahogany Beach (Roatan) during a recent cruise on the Conquest came with a double lounger on the beach, two loungers on the porch of the cabana and a double size hammock. I am not sure about your cabana but ours said maximum of four people. And I am not even sure if there will be enough room for twenty-five or so chairs in front of your cabana since each area allotted isn't that big. You might want to check with the people who are in charge of up keeping the cabanas on a daily basis.

I tried posting photos of ours but for some reason or the other my Photobucket just isn't working here anymore.

There would just be the grandparents in my Cabana, I'm just talking about re-arranging some chairs on a section of the beech in front of my cabana so we can be near each other and then waiting with them until their tender shows up. Not loading 25 people into a 4 person cabana ; ) Those familiar with the setup there would prob know if this kind of behavior would be frowned upon. I see chair hogging as a problem on the ships as there appears to be a shortage of them? I don't know what the situation is at HMC far down the beach hence the question.

(Found this pic from HMC of an the cabana setup and what I'm proposing, pic is taken from one of the cabana porches)

2nktetl.jpg

if anyone knows anything about the Mongolian wok you can be gone for 40 minutes while you get your food, I do not see anything wrong if you leave your chair for the lido buffet and get your food and eat inside, however I am against people leaving their chairs to go around the ship to do other things for extended periods of time of an hour or more. I too never sit by the pool I always sit one deck up to get a view of the ocean. I am an early riser I take a book out about 6ish and grab 2 chairs, my wife usually awakes about 8 and comes on deck around 9, and there are still plenty of chairs left. We usually go get breakfast about 30 minutes and lunch around 12:30 for 30 to 40 minutes, We usually leave to use the facilities in our cabin 1 at a time. We do have 2 teens and usually do not save them chairs. I am against people saving chairs for their entire family, I have seen 10 chairs being saved, one time I told a family that were looking for chairs that the people next to me came out early and at noonish I still had not seen them, so the family removed belongings on four chairs so they could sit, When the family returned around 1 they were a little flustered only to find out that they had saved the same amount of chairs including chairs for the children up buy the water slides, and got in a confrontation up there because the 6 children never sat in the chairs, NOW THAT IS CHAIR HOGGIN

My first post, FWIW.

This thread is a very interesting commentary on human nature, with many interesting perspectives.

On a vacation I attempt to be relaxed; that inherently includes reasonable use of the ship's amenities, but also avoiding unneeded confrontation and conflict. I can likely find a quiet location that has available seating, but I certainly understand that everyone is entitled to their own preference and demand varies by location. The implicit issue is satisfying your own needs without unreasonably impacting those of others.

A thought: Cell phones and digital cameras are ubiquitous. If the official “seat abandonment" limit is 30 minutes, perhaps one might just find a comfortable location (table nearby, deck overhead) where the seemingly unused chair could be readily photographed on a time lapse basis with date/time stamp. Sequential photos (many cameras have a setting for this) once a minute or so would document the "lack of use" of the chair. After the 30 minute allowance expires, just use the chair.

When the original chair "holder/hog" returns just note that the chair was unused beyond the permissible time-frame. If any adverse response becomes evident invite the person to call security. If it becomes "your word versus theirs" you may then just show security and the hog your sequence of camera photos...a lecture could also be offered to the hog regarding inconsiderateness becoming confrontation and extending to misrepresentation. At that point I'd hope the hog might have learned a life lesson.

Pretty easy to do...if needed. ;)

On our previous (and first) cruise - - we were looking for a lounger on serenity. We'd dropped the kids off at kids club for the first time and really just wanted to relax.

There were plenty of chair hog chairs and the guy behind the towel desk asked us where we'd like to sit, picked up the stuff off the chairs and told us if there was a problem send them his way.

It was VERY nice but I stressed the entire time that the people would come back and make a scene. But I sure appreciated he helped us out. He said, the towels had been there for HOURS.

By the pool there were unoccupied towelled chairs EVERYWHERE. We quickly came to realize that people were saving the chair on either side of their group so they didn't have to sit 'so close' to a stranger. We learned this because there were one-off's and we asked a group if perhaps they would mind all moving down one so my children and I could ALL share one chair next to the available chair my husband was about to sit on. No because that would involve freeing up the chair hogged chair beside them which would mean they would have to sit directly next to strangers. Or our kids or something. Ridiculous.

There would just be the grandparents in my Cabana, I'm just talking about re-arranging some chairs on a section of the beech in front of my cabana so we can be near each other and then waiting with them until their tender shows up. Not loading 25 people into a 4 person cabana ; ) Those familiar with the setup there would prob know if this kind of behavior would be frowned upon. I see chair hogging as a problem on the ships as there appears to be a shortage of them? I don't know what the situation is at HMC far down the beach hence the question.

(Found this pic from HMC of an the cabana setup and what I'm proposing, pic is taken from one of the cabana porches)

2nktetl.jpg

there are chairs set up like this in front of all the cabanas at HMC. There are many many lounge chairs, so you shouldnt have a problem. However, it is first come first serve, so if a group comes down by your cabana, and they want to sit in that area, they can.

Archived