Chair Hog pictures... post 'em here!

cruzn buckeye

My teenage granddaughter and I left our chairs long enough to pick up hamburgers and go right back. I had taken towels from home, so they were obviously not Carnival towels and they were still wet. We got back with the hamburgers and found a woman actually sitting on one of the chairs, on top of the wet towel. Then she was very reluctant to move.

why should one have to get up before dawn to get a chair?to be the "2-way street" your talking about. There are signs that state no saving of chairs. and the ones argueing is the ones that come back hours after they "saved" their chair wanting it.

Dont take this the wrong way....but....You must be a "sandy wet blanket" on vacation. Go with the flow. Complain when at work or when someone hits your car. People go on vacation to do what they want and not have to follow rules.

I have been the "victim" of someone moving my towel, book, sunglasses, small diaper bag and other items ... in the 5 minutes it took me to take my toddler to the bathroom for a diaper change.

It made me mad, since we were using the chairs, and had only had them for about 20 minutes (I wouldn't spend all day in the sun with my young child, but we were happy to have 30 minutes or so) and would have been vacating them in 15 minutes or so for lunch anyway.

Of course I was with my child, so I just picked up my stuff and said nothing ... but I would have liked to. They put my book in a puddle of water too - and I hadn't even had a chance to start reading it ... grrrrr ...

I'm ok with people moving my stuff if they a) put it somewhere clean and dry that it is not ruined when I come back to claim it b) give me back my chair if I come back in a reasonable amount of time from a bathroom break or they see me getting out of the pool or hot tub - I mean, it is ok if you want to use the chair, but if someone is engaging in legit poolside activities, they have a right to expect their items that they set aside when they go swimming will still be where they left them when they return.

Anyway ... just my 2 cents :D

Interesting thread with strong opinions I see. I've been to many AI resorts but never a cruise. ( 6 days until the Magic! )

So tell me, I watch a couple of these videos and yes, I see chogging going on, but I also see plenty of emty chairs. I have friends that have been on many cruises and they looked at me like I was crazy when I mentioned not being able to get a chair like it had never been a problem for them.

So is this really a bad problem? Can you really not find a chair when you'd like to have one?

I obviously cant speak for everyone but on our first cruise hubby and I would get up eat breakfast and then head to the serinity deck. It would probably about 7:30-8:00am, we were always able to get prime spots out there we were always one of the first people out there, with that being said we would only stay an hour maybe an hour and a half and everytime we would get ready to leave there would be someone practicly sitting down before we could get all our stuff together. We were always able to find a seat somewhere, maybe not by the pool at noon but then we didnt really want seats there as we dont use pools or hot tubs, if you cant find a seat go up one deck and I assure you there will always be somewhere to sit.

I teach at a high school and during the morning announcements, the students from time to time make the cutest videos as public service announcements. They add catchy music, humor or creative acting to get the point across. On every cruise I've been on, there are several "cruise channels" that give information regarding the cruise events and such. I would think that the cruise line could avoid many of these issues with a commercial/public service announcement. Cruise ships with the big screen on the Lido deck - - perfect opportunity to get the word out to chair hogs and a bit of ammunition to those trying to abide by the rules. It wouldn't cost much and would not require hiring extra staff. Put it in heavy rotation (like those commercials for weight loss pills) and have it play every 15-30 minutes.

Of course you will not cure the problem, but it makes it pretty hard for people to play dumb to what they are doing when they feel that putting an orange on a chair marks their territory for an entire cruise.

The Dream does this. Has the message scrolling across the big screen saying something about chairs being vacant more than thirty minutes will have the towels collected by Carnival employees.

I think it is an excellent idea too and wish Carnival would copy it.

They did this on our last Dream cruise. The message scrolled across the screen and a Carnival employee walked around with a notepad, taking notes where there were towels and no people on them... writing down the time I assumed.

The most annoying thing I ever saw on a cruise involving chair hogs was people leaving silverware wrapped in napkins on the chairs around the pool.

Also T-shirts stretched across the back of chairs with the words RESERVED printed on them!

OK so call me naive. Ive been on three cruises but never realized ppl were hogging chairs. Ive just always figured if they werent sitting in the chairs they are free. Ive moved towels several times. No one has ever complained. Oh No! I hope I dont feel guilty now when I moved someones towel. Hmmm. Probably not.

I dont sit down for long either. I always feel like Im missing something someplace else.

Gonna book in the next couple weeks for Oct 8. Then the count down begins again!

Dont take this the wrong way....but....You must be a "sandy wet blanket" on vacation. Go with the flow. Complain when at work or when someone hits your car. People go on vacation to do what they want and not have to follow rules.

"not have to follow rules." I guess I just don't understand.

I have been the "victim" of someone moving my towel, book, sunglasses, small diaper bag and other items ... in the 5 minutes it took me to take my toddler to the bathroom for a diaper change.

It made me mad, since we were using the chairs, and had only had them for about 20 minutes (I wouldn't spend all day in the sun with my young child, but we were happy to have 30 minutes or so) and would have been vacating them in 15 minutes or so for lunch anyway.

Of course I was with my child, so I just picked up my stuff and said nothing ... but I would have liked to. They put my book in a puddle of water too - and I hadn't even had a chance to start reading it ... grrrrr ...

I'm ok with people moving my stuff if they a) put it somewhere clean and dry that it is not ruined when I come back to claim it b) give me back my chair if I come back in a reasonable amount of time from a bathroom break or they see me getting out of the pool or hot tub - I mean, it is ok if you want to use the chair, but if someone is engaging in legit poolside activities, they have a right to expect their items that they set aside when they go swimming will still be where they left them when they return.

Anyway ... just my 2 cents :D

I would have said something. Chairhogs put one item on a chair, don't know how anyone thought your chair wasn't being used. But then some people just feel entitled.

I don't remember which cruise but we were on the Serentiy deck and one of the covered lounges had a small towel on it, not a beach towel. We sat in another chair and watched for awhile, then I moved the towel and we sat in the chair. No one ever came, so I'm not really sure it was being saved or not. Since there was only a hot tub it was easy to see all the people in the area. We wanted some shade, it is the first time I ever moved something off a chair!

We had to deal with chair hogs once. They had saved 16 chairs in 2 rows. We arrived at about 9:00 am and the people sitting around the "saved chairs" told us that nobody had been on those chairs for the past hour in which they themselves had been there. So we waited for about 15 more minutes and then proceeded to move the stuff from the chairs. More people were also looking for chairs and so followed our lead until all 16 chairs were filled with people.

About an hour later (the new bunch of us had now been sitting there for an hour) a group of people came and started yelling at everybody that the seats had been "stolen". "These are OUR seats", "Get your #?!%^! bu**s off OUR chairs" etc. Nasty, nasty!

They of course didn't know who of US was the first to move their stuff but they were royally ticked. They kept demanding that we all leave so finally I piped up and said, "The sign says half an hour and you guys haven't been here for over 2 hours." So now they had their " go to person" and they all started yelling at me personally.!!:eek:

I just went back to reading my book. Then, because they were from a visually different ethnic background than I was, they dared to loudly pull the 'race card' on me. It became rather awkward to say the least, for all of us sitting in that area: those of us who were just trying to live within our rights, living fairly by the common rules, enjoying ourselves on our vacation.:cool: Eventually they left in a dramatic exit of huffing and puffing amidst a colourful array of departing expletives.

My point is:

If Carnival makes the rules about chair hogs, (which they should) then they should also enforce those rules. It is not fair for the passengers to have to fight it out themselves and take "the law into their own hands" to enjoy the privileges which are rightfully theirs.

Mind you, Would I do it again? Yup!! In a heartbeat.:D

HOWEVER, I do appreciate Royal Caribbean's methods of enforcing the 'lingering and lounging towel' issues. Their pool attendants are wonderful!

(Never saw any conflict issues about chair hogs and towels on the RCCI or Celebrity ships I have been on.)

Hopefully, on our upcoming cruise on the Carnival Valor, (I still LOVE Carnival :) we won't have to deal with this issue.... but I am not holding my breath.

I WILL move the towels again if needs be. BTW, I really am a nice, polite and friendly Canadian - even when I have to move someone's towel after an hour, I will do it with a smile :D

We had to deal with chair hogs once. They had saved 16 chairs in 2 rows. We arrived at about 9:00 am and the people sitting around the "saved chairs" told us that nobody had been on those chairs for the past hour in which they themselves had been there. So we waited for about 15 more minutes and then proceeded to move the stuff from the chairs. More people were also looking for chairs and so followed our lead until all 16 chairs were filled with people.

About an hour later (the new bunch of us had now been sitting there for an hour) a group of people came and started yelling at everybody that the seats had been "stolen". "These are OUR seats", "Get your #?!%^! bu**s off OUR chairs" etc. Nasty, nasty!

They of course didn't know who of US was the first to move their stuff but they were royally ticked. They kept demanding that we all leave so finally I piped up and said, "The sign says half an hour and you guys haven't been here for over 2 hours." So now they had their " go to person" and they all started yelling at me personally.!!:eek:

I just went back to reading my book. Then, because they were from a visually different ethnic background than I was, they dared to loudly pull the 'race card' on me. It became rather awkward to say the least, for all of us sitting in that area: those of us who were just trying to live within our rights, living fairly by the common rules, enjoying ourselves on our vacation.:cool: Eventually they left in a dramatic exit of huffing and puffing amidst a colourful array of departing expletives.

My point is:

If Carnival makes the rules about chair hogs, (which they should) then they should also enforce those rules. It is not fair for the passengers to have to fight it out themselves and take "the law into their own hands" to enjoy the privileges which are rightfully theirs.

No idea if it's happened already, but it's just a matter of time before things get out of hand and someone gets seriously hurt because of this.

The ship's inability/unwillingness to enforce their own rules simply engenders situations like this that create conflict. And where there's conflict, injuries...and worse...will follow.

It's so sad that this world has so many morons.

• 2 months later...
And the lady in pink, top right corner.... caught red handed !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok sooooo what happens if I as a new cruiser remove 2 towels and take 2 chairs that are unoccupied? Ya know just cause there is a towel there does it mean that someone is sitting there?

Oh my gosh, I can hear it now. Did you know that Carnival charges you to use the chairs by the pool!!!!!

Okay, maybe just timers. When you get up from your chair, set your timer for 30 minutes. If you are looking for a chair, and the time says "0", it is available!

I would love to be in the pool and see someone pick up my towel and walk away. I would have them in front of security for theft! :mad:

That would depend on where they are walking to. If they are going to the pool attendant with the towel, they are turning in a lost item. No theft occurred.

Please tell me this was said "tongue-in-cheek"? :eek: The belief of people who actually believe they can do whatever they want and ignore all the rules simply because they are on vacation is astounding! :mad:

Archived