Chair Hog pictures... post 'em here!

cruzn buckeye

We have been on four cruises (okay, one was an Alaskan cruise so that doesn't count when it comes to chair hogging) and have never seen a chair hog problem so perhaps it's more of a Carnival thing?

I did however, have someone approach me on our recent NCL Pearl cruise while I was lounging face down (and actually sleeping) asking me to move my stuff on the chair next to me (my hat, a book, etc.) when there were like 50 EMPTY CHAIRS all around me (we were one deck up from the pool and, yes, it was a sunny sea day and Thanksgiving week...sold out ship)! After I groggily mumbled something about something (remember, I was dozing), the man's wife told him there were so many other chairs available. He moved on but even a lady two chairs away from me commented how rude that was of him. I just think people in general have become more inconsiderate, and that goes for parents! I can't tell you how many out-of-control children we saw running amok on that ship! Two boys about 10 were actually wrestling at the top of a staircase I was trying to get down and a little girl about 4 or 5 was running down the hallway with NO other adult in sight (except my husband and I)! In defense, though, we did meet a few very polite young people. But that's another board!

On the flip side of this issue...while on the Navigator of the Seas some years ago, I was IN THE POOL ONLY FEET AWAY FROM MY LOUNGER when the deck police tried to take my towel because I had the audacity to be in the pool about 30 minutes. ( was a hot morning) Not everyone is a plain old chairhog, though most are I suppose.

I did however, have someone approach me on our recent NCL Pearl cruise while I was lounging face down (and actually sleeping) asking me to move my stuff on the chair next to me (my hat, a book, etc.) when there were like 50 EMPTY CHAIRS all around me (we were one deck up from the pool and, yes, it was a sunny sea day and Thanksgiving week...sold out ship)! After I groggily mumbled something about something (remember, I was dozing), the man's wife told him there were so many other chairs available. He moved on but even a lady two chairs away from me commented how rude that was of him. I just think people in general have become more inconsiderate, and that goes for parents!

Chair hogging is chair hogging no matter the excuse/reasoning. No reason for anyone to use a chair to do nothing but hold their items. I personally would have just picked an empty chair and yes it may have been rude of him. Chair hogging (or any act occupying a chair by personal items and no person) is either right or wrong. Maybe everyone that hogs chairs just says "there are more" or "this is the only way I can get a chair".

2dbj8cm.jpg

This family actually printed out cards with their name and attached to the chairs...my friend and I removed all the towels and name tags after another family said they had not seen anyone there for at least 30 minutes. When the chair hogs came to "their chairs" ..they were pissed and said"we had our kids come out here at 6am to reserve these chairs"..I just pointed to the sign above us that said something to the fact of no reserving deck chairs :)

You win!! This one takes the prize!!

We have never been able to sit next to the pool on any cruise except one. It was the second leg of a back to back when we had the ship to our self’s for a while before people walked on the ship and started throwing their luggage on chairs and then going to eat.

There is a web site by zydocruiser. He has a chair hog page. One photo is of three chairs being saved by a host on cruise critic. The hosts name is on his chair cover.

I thought about printing copies of the photo I took of the no saving chairs rule on a ship and putting it on saved chairs.

I think it is just as bad to save chairs in the main lounge for shows.

We have never been able to sit next to the pool on any cruise except one. It was the second leg of a back to back when we had the ship to our self’s for a while before people walked on the ship and started throwing their luggage on chairs and then going to eat.

There is a web site by zydocruiser. He has a chair hog page. One photo is of three chairs being saved by a host on cruise critic. The hosts name is on his chair cover.

I thought about printing copies of the photo I took of the no saving chairs rule on a ship and putting it on saved chairs.

I think it is just as bad to save chairs in the main lounge for shows.

No problem for me. I just sit down & if they try to confront me, I tell them NO SAVING & GO GET SECURITY. OTHERWISE PISS OFF & LEAVE ME ALONE. Usually works. 1 time someone did get security they just told them NO SAVING OF SEATS. Enjoy the show

Actually yes. And I didn't even move anything - I just sat on the corner of a chair to listen to some music and this man came back and said, not too politely, "my daughter and I were sitting there". I wanted to say, "Uh, no you weren't or I would have sat on you", but my mother raised me better.

OMG. Love it! You really should have said it! I think I will use that line myself...:)

I also like the line to say if confronted by a displaced chair hog- "the guy who got up from this chair said he was done and that I could have it!" If they have really been gone for an hour or more- how do they know that you were the one who moved their towel? ;)

I've never been brave enough to actually move someone else's towels, even though I would love to do it..... but this is tempting!

I have no problem moving people's stuff. What's the worst that could happen? What could they possibly say to me? That THEY were in the wrong?

I've never wanted to sit by the pool on earlier cruises, but when I'm on Ecstasy next week, I'd like to read in the Serenity Adult area. Thanks for arming me with what I'll say when I have to move a towel that's been sitting there for hours!

I personally have never had a problem with chair hogs. I don't like to lounge on the Lido deck...much to crowded for me! I choose to find a chair at the back of the ship, on the Verandah deck. However, I have seen many chairs being 'hogged'...some people have no class or respect for others!

We were on a RCCL cruise during the holidays soon after 9/11/01. We were in the Caribbean, so of course the deck chairs were at a premium. My hubby and I waited at least 45 minutes, and finally just moved a chair hog's towel and hat, placing them on the table next to the chair. We decided to share the chair, and sat there for another half an hour when along came the chair hog herself who proceeded to throw a hissy fit. We sat there listening to her rant and rave calling us everything she could. She said "You must be from New York", as if that were an insult. What if we were? What if we had lost a family member? Horrible. Sad, how quickly people forget that New York took one on the chin for this great nation. And no, we're from laid back California.

When a chair hog can show me the receipt for his/her towel, orange, sign, flip flop's passage on the ship (proving said towel, etc. paid for a cruise), then, and only then will I move from a lounge chair that's been unoccupied for over 1/2 hour.

I hope in the future that those passengers who wait 1 hour for a chair cut that down to about 30 seconds. A simple "is anybody using this chair?" should suffice and after about 5 seconds of waiting for a response "Voila!" You may have a seat!!

I hope in the future that those passengers who wait 1 hour for a chair cut that down to about 30 seconds. A simple "is anybody using this chair?" should suffice and after about 5 seconds of waiting for a response "Voila!" You may have a seat!!

Where is the "like" button?

(Long time lurker, new poster, so... That should answer "Who the heck are you?" question. ;) )

Carnival should do what theme and water parks do. Somewhere, near the pool/hot tub but not glaringly obvious, they should place a wall of small lockers. I doubt that the take from these would be anything other than negligible if they chose to make them pay-for-use, so, well... Free's good. :D

If you want to swim but not lay on a chair, or if you have something expensive and smallish you'd rather not put on an unattended chair (iPad, laptop, glasses, bars of gold, Martin Freeman, whatever), you just pop it in to a locker, et voila! You have a key that's pinned to your swimsuit.

Of course, this solution is only good until the Kerr Family decides to get up at 6 AM and claim them all.

(OT: I'm gonna be on the Liberty in 7 days! Chair hogs, here I come!)

I am amazed that you folks actually get up and go sit around the deck, timing unoccupied chairs! To add to that, you then actually take pictures of unoccupied chairs!:rolleyes:

I grab a pipe (that only puts out bubbles, not smoke, tyvm) and a deerstalker hat and pretend to be Sherlock Holmes while I do it. You should try sometime; it's loads of fun.

Only problem is that there are only so many times you can solve The Case Of The Missing Jerk Who Claimed The Whole Serenity Deck And Now Won't Give It Back.

Archived