Chair Hog pictures... post 'em here!

cruzn buckeye

If I was looking at dozens of hogged seats and wondered which one to take this would make my mind up for me.

Would it make a difference if there was a time noted with the reserved sign? Something along the lines of Reserved, left at 3:00 return at 3:25. It communicates precisely while a towel draped over a lounger is left to interpretation. I like the reserved sign :)

Ive never thougt how easy it would be to have a free souviner towel. Afterall the cabin stewerd determines if there isnt the proper amount of towels left in cabin. People do leave them laying around and it would be very easy to get a few extra. But If im going to have a nice Carnival towel, Id like to have one that isnt all worn out to which most are. The ones you buy are brand new in sure. I know that im not stupid enougth to leave one on a chair except whem im right there going in pool or hot tub and i can still see it.

I was wondering the exact same thing....I would hate to be gone for like 15 min and find someone else there because they thought I was a hog! :eek:

This happened to me. My son and I put a towel down so we could go down the slide. We were gone maybe 10 minutes, and when we got back out towel was gone. I was then charged $25 for the lost towel. I tried to get the charge removed, but they wouldn't do it. That was the first and last time I have ever put on a suit on a ship. :(

My thought would be something like this as I would walk down the deck "Hmmm, nice beach bag, I wonder if DW would like it? Yeah she probably would. Now that I think of it, those nice sneakers look new and they're her size too. Should fit nicely inside the bag. Yep. Fits well. We're going to the beach later in the cruise, better get a couple extra towels too while I'm at it. Lots of room inside this nice new beach bag for towels. Oh boy look, 2 new bottles of SPF 50 sun block. DW doesn't tan like I do, the best thing I could do for her is get a couple bottles of that too. Boy, they were right when they said Carnival is the Walmart of cruise ships."

Your quote is too funny ..... Did you notice that people don't mind leaving their valueable laying around....but you rarely see them leaving their drinksbehind .....they always have them with them.

OceanDreams

When we were on NCL Spirit there was a group who had over 15 chairs saved with foam noodles. So we waited and after 20 min we moved 5 of the noodles and sat down. After about an hour and a half (closer to 2 hours) some of the family came back and were very upset, they had gotten off the ship at GSC and thought they should have the seats reserved when they got back. They still had 10 chairs reserved, we were pretty amused how mad they were. If it were me who had saved those chairs I would have been too embarrassed to confront the people who moved my things and would have quietly sat down. :eek:

I prefer to lounge on a balcony. Easier to take quick trips to the bathroom, no 310 pound guy in a speedo, 270 pound tatted up girl (I think it was a girl, it did have breasts) in a thong, or parentless child throwing stuff. Your results may vary, but I have seen some scary stuff at the pool.

In my 15 years of cruising, this issue is one that just won't go away. We all talk about wanting Carnival to do something about it, but they never do, and IMHO they never will. They would rather have a thousand dissapointed customers than the 1 guy who causes a scene over his hogged chair being taken. I don't quite get this logic, but if they wanted to do something about chair hogs, they'd have done it a long time ago. Frankly, I can't imagine why they'd let it go on for so long. Apparently, some ship's security are better than others at "policing" chairs, but the majority would rather keep the peace and let the cruisers deal with it in their own ways - which is usually be disgusted by the practice, but do nothing. :(

100_1649.JPG

100_1651.JPG

Conquest December 27, 2010 (a sea day) Aft Pool and Spa area

The chair hogs of these pictures - a family of about 8 - were sitting at a table just behind the end chair playing cards. I wanted to take a picture of them but my husband said no. We ate, read and spent time in the aft spa so we were able to watch the chairs and family for almost 3 hours. No one ever sat in these chairs although they would occasionally come grab something out of their which were bags sitting between the chairs.

Someone approached the chairs at one point and started to move a towel. Two of the males at the table immediately stood up and said the chairs were taken. The couple looking for chairs left.

After eyeballing an empty chair for an hour and taking it, when/if the hog comes back, I just say "Gee, the guy that just left it said he was through with it" and gone back to my book.

I like the idea the other poster suggested when a chair only has a towel on it to just sit down in it. How can the hog prove it was their towel/chair? How can he prove that you moved his towel to sit?

Tucker in Texas

i hate chair hogs, i have no problem moving there stuff. granted i will wait 45 minutes as per CCL policy is 30 minutes. you can pretty much tell if someone is hogging or just gone to get something. last year on the legend i moved someone stuff and when they showed up two hours later they were kinda pissed at me but i just told them the policy and showed them it as well (it is on the funtimes letter) and they just walked away. they put one flip flop on one chair and the other on the other one. the nerve of some, it pissed them off and made me happy equals good times:)

Would it make a difference if there was a time noted with the reserved sign? Something along the lines of Reserved, left at 3:00 return at 3:25. It communicates precisely while a towel draped over a lounger is left to interpretation. I like the reserved sign :)

I think a simple thing like indicating the time reserved is a wonderful idea with a 30 minute hold time. If according to the sign, the chair was reserved at 3:00 and it's 3:45, other passengers should have the go-ahead to claim the chair. If someone leaves the sign blank (no time), the chair is in play. Carnival should include this in their cruise contract as well so that everyone knows their "rights" when it comes to deck chairs.

I really do wish Carnival would monitor this and take care of the problem. It is a huge problem and very annoying. I think part of the problem is, there are just so many rude people on cruise ships these days. They have the attitude "I paid so I get what I want" without any regard for their fellow passengers.

I do not hog chairs, but once my husband, myself and my two daughters had 4 chairs with all of our stuff on them. My husband and myself were in the chairs, our daughters were in the pool, but in and out of the pool every 5 minutes.

A large group of people came and plopped down in chairs my daughters were using, and I asked them to move. They said they would when the kids came back, well when my kids came back they refused to move. Unbelievable.

So, please do feel free to occupy unoccupied chairs, but be a nice fellow passenger and make sure it really has been vacant for awhile.

I like the poster who suggested shifting the blame. Works for me... if the chair has been vacant for 35 minutes and it is clearly a chair hog, I would move the stuff over, sit there and if they showed up, I would say the nice gentleman who was sitting here just got up and said he was done!

Viola! Oh, and headphones help. I cannot hear what they are saying and can just put them on ignore... easy peasy.

Hoggers beware, I will follow Carnivals 30 minute rule even if you don't!

BTW, the last place I want to sit is by the pool. I don't want to deal with the chance of crappy parents or their un-parented progeny.

My experience only, your mileage may vary.

Watch out chair hoggers. I am not afraid of you at all and I will move your stuff in a heartbeat.. I get excited thinking about it... the worst:) GREAT post!

You are awesome!! I think I will keep this frame of mind on my next cruise!!! I will "let the wind take it" so to say! :)

We were on Imagination at the beginning of December 2011, and on the only sea day (short cruise) we decided to visit the Serenity deck. Hubby and I get into the hot tub, after finding all chairs unavailable. We watch like a hawk for two to become available, with no luck. I get out of the hot tub to find a couple just wandering up, waiting for two chairs to be vacated.....and they get them. As if this wasn't bad enough, the couple sits down, arranges their stuff, then begins to gather a few belongings. I ask if they have decided to move on (hey, I'll take the chairs) and they say, "No, we're going to go eat lunch, but we'll be back in about 30 minutes.". Honestly, you can't make this stuff up! :eek:

Sol y Mar

This person used Bees to hold his chair. I wasn't gonna move them....

b21.jpg

OK relax, it is a joke. The bees were removed. see the thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=907804

Love the Bee pictures! We had a swarm move to our tree one evening. It was amazing..,.the cloud of bees. Of course, we ran inside...called the "Bee Man" who said they were probably on the move ..looking for a new place to make a hive. :eek:

He said the colony sends out scouts to check out places. He assured us they were not going to stay in our tree and if they weren't gone by mid day the next day, he would come to move them.

He assured us they would not harm us so we took that to mean we could take all the pictures we wanted of this amazing thing in our tree. Our entire neighborhood came out in force to see the sight.

Lo and Behold by 8 am the next morning, they were ALL gone! Now, if I put the info i got from the bee man to the cruise experience.....where were those bees looking to make their hive? I guess they were Progresso bees wanting to visit new places, huh?

Archived