Chair Hog pictures... post 'em here!

cruzn buckeye

I think the lady in pink was putting her things down on a chair. I have never left my chair for more then a half hour, I don't consider myself a chair hog. What I love is when a person sleeps until noon, walks around with all their things and expects a chair. You can just see the looks on their faces, as if we are all suppose to get up and give them our chairs. If you want a chair, get up early and get one. I was in the show one night and people came in the last minute before show and couldn't understand why there were no chairs. How silly of them.

Just an idea. What if you took, all the "Chair Hogs" stuff and placed it on another "Chair Hogs' in a great big pile?

Good Idea but I would up it by taking chair hog's identifiable things (books, shoe, sunglasses ect...) and switch them with other chair hogs things. Sit back and watch the fun!:D

We have no overwhelming desire to have a chair by the pool and, on all our cruises, there are always chairs to be had elsewhere.

All these chair hog issues, do they all pertain to poolside?

I never had a problem finding a chair. But I like being a deck up from the pool, overlooking lido.

I was on the Carnival Miracle in September. I went up to the pool deck one morning around 7:30 and there was not an empty lounge chair. some people were sitting on chairs but the majority had towels and other stuff on them. I waited until around 10 and moved a towel from one chair and sat there. My mom came up and I told her I had watched the chair next to me for about two and a half hours and nobody came back. She moved the towel and sat down. 45 minutes later she went to use the ladies room and a guy came and proceeded to move her towel and bag. I told him someone was using that chair and would be right back. He told me that it was his chair and I told him nobody had used it in at least 3 hours and put my moms stuff back on it. He threw her towel and picked up her bag and dumped the contents on the ground, including her camera. My dh was sitting at a table behind the chair and told the guy he better watch whose stuff he touched. The guy turned around and said f**k you to him. He was ready to deck the guy but I told him it wasn't worth it. My mom came back and I told her what happened and she had a few choice words for him. I learned later on that he was part of a group that would save lounge chairs by the pool and a few of the tables in the shade every day.

Im thinking it might be fun to bring an extra pad or 2 of post-its and a marker, posting the time on post-its on chairs that are empty. That way when someone else walks by, looking for a chair, notices the post-it time, they'll take the chair and not feel to guilty when they see its already been open for several hours

Yup....something to pass the time....haha

Im thinking it might be fun to bring an extra pad or 2 of post-its and a marker, posting the time on post-its on chairs that are empty. That way when someone else walks by, looking for a chair, notices the post-it time, they'll take the chair and not feel to guilty when they see its already been open for several hours

Yup....something to pass the time....haha

I am thinking I might get some official post it notes done at vista print, and use those!

I'm finding all of these stories very amusing, but have never stumbled upon a chair hog face to face. I suppose if I did, the best reply I can think of is "no ga besh". Can't argue with that unless your Italian. Now food hog....that I have encountered. I'm referring to a cruise last year on the HAL to Bermuda. There was a small buffet out by the pool in the afternoon. Towels were free to grab as needed by whomever in a specified area. A food hog with a gimpy arm was slobbering all over the buffet and proceeded to grab a pool towel, wipe her slimy mouth all over it (Mexican food) and put the towel back with the clean ones. Well, I had a field day with her. Snapped her pic and started a "pig alert". It was very amusing. She was clueless, as some folks tend to be.

Sea days in the Med on the Magic were crowded. EVERY lounge chair no matter where was filled and people were walking around looking for chairs. I am the only one in my group that likes to be around the Lido but I never get by the pool--leave that for parents watching their kids. I usually try to get one up on the top deck, though where I can get some sun and hear the music. Just finding one chair was difficult and I had to move a towel. After I'd been there for 45 minutes I told someone that the chair next to me had not been occupied for well over 30 minutes.

As soon as they moved the towel a woman came over from a few chairs away to tell us that her friend was "just in the bathroom". I told her that wasn't true at all and I'd been watching for 45 minutes. She gave up.

Even on a very cold and windy day I went up there to sit for awhile (I love storms). All the blankets were issued and many of the chairs had a blanket on them with no one showing up EVER.

CCL did not police them, either. I hope they are doing better at it now.

I think the lady in pink was putting her things down on a chair. I have never left my chair for more then a half hour, I don't consider myself a chair hog. What I love is when a person sleeps until noon, walks around with all their things and expects a chair. You can just see the looks on their faces, as if we are all suppose to get up and give them our chairs. If you want a chair, get up early and get one. I was in the show one night and people came in the last minute before show and couldn't understand why there were no chairs. How silly of them.

Cruise77, I agree with you if all the chairs are IN USE. Don't expect to come late to the game and have a prime spot just waiting for you. I imagine that most everyone here would agree with this.

However, I think the universal complaint here is that there are many chairs that are NOT in use, sometimes for hours on end, but someone has "claimed" them by leaving a towel or some other object on them. They then expect that this gives them exclusive right to "their" chair for the entire day, even when they are in their cabin, at the buffet, or otherwise MIA for hours.

You'll also note that no one here is griping about anyone making a quick trip to the bathroom, or a dip in the pool or hot tub. That is not the issue. The issue is people who are so self centered as to think they can claim a chair and expect it to sit empty for hours, just waiting on their whim, while they wander around the ship doing other things. That is just selfish and rude.

I do think that Carnival needs to have a pool/deck attendant who enforces a reasonable rule, such as, if the chair is unoccupied for 30 minutes to an hour, the belongings/towels are removed and the chair is available to be occupied by an actual living person, not a pair of flip-flops representing a human.

Becky

As I have only cruised once, maybe I just don't get it, but surely people want a change of scenery or activity at some point, and so a natural turn over of chairs should take place? Like a crowded shopping centre carpark, eventually carparks come free. I'm thinking it's become such an expectation that you need a chair by 7am and you keep it to 7pm that people automatically do it without thinking about what they really want to do that day. I do hope to do some activities and then come later for a chair or vice versa, but it sounds like I'm kidding myself. It's a shame people spend so much of their trip worrying about a chair :(

I saw signs of Chair Hogging (strategically placed towels on lounge chairs) on Carnival Magic's webcam just this morning -- 8:00 AM as it approaches Progresso. You can't see the whole pool because of my creative thought bubble, but there was only 1 person in the pool.

Image_Camera2_ship8__30-12-2011_13_58_52.jpg

I pledge to remove your towel and sit in the chair you saved me while you were: sleeping, eating, mini golfing, working out, getting a massage, wandering the ship, etc. When you come over with your crazy lies about how you were only gone for 20 minutes, I will simply smile and say no thanks, we're full of crazy here. If that isn't good enough you may feel free to find a staff member and explain your issues.

I can't wait, this will be my daily game on my first cruise! I will have no kids with me so I will not hesitate to tell a hog how it is...maybe i'll even record it for later enjoyment.

I pledge to remove your towel and sit in the chair you saved me while you were: sleeping, eating, mini golfing, working out, getting a massage, wandering the ship, etc. When you come over with your crazy lies about how you were only gone for 20 minutes, I will simply smile and say no thanks, we're full of crazy here. If that isn't good enough you may feel free to find a staff member and explain your issues.

I can't wait, this will be my daily game on my first cruise! I will have no kids with me so I will not hesitate to tell a hog how it is...maybe i'll even record it for later enjoyment.

No way do I approve of chair hogs ..... but to make this your "daily game" (WTH!!!). You're going to lose out on a big part of the cruising experience ...... RELAXATION. Good luck with your endeavors.:confused:

I wish I had a picture.

This was years ago, at 7:30am there were 6 chairs being held with yellow caution tape.

I guess that makes it look official. The way I know it wasn't official was later that day, around 10:00 the group showed up to remove the tape and use the chairs.

So I'm really glad to know that when we take our first cruise the end of January, there is no need to bring our towels with us to the pool. Seems as though many friendly co-sailers have brought towels to the deck for us :D

I see a lot of souevenir towels I will be bringing home

I am right there with you. If you leave your towel for a long time I have decided they are mine now. Will see how many we amass on our Valor cruise.

Maybe if this was done more then he chair hogs would get less and less.

Archived