Chair Hog pictures... post 'em here!

cruzn buckeye

laying by a non nonchalant lady(not really a lady) in the Showroom....!!! so my pal and I could sit for the show. She told me some one was "SITTING" there..I argued...NO ONE is sitting there..I plopped and pal sat beside me..purse owner stood up and plopped her BIG fat A$$ on top of my hip, and bumped it very hard as she did it.. I whispered in her ear"..my dear girl, you will soon grow tired of your precarious position.....she said huuh?... I repeated it..I knew it would make her do 1 of 2 things.....re position herself..orrrr...teeter all the while the show was going on. Which she did!!!.....I was particualry in fine voice that evening, and thought the performers deserved extra loud yells and screams.....right in her left ear......I have totall hearing loss in my rt ear when she thought to return the gesture,, it fell on my DEAF ear !!!...when I was clapping, my rt arm came over to "HER" territory....and she slapped me, and continued to scootch over on top of my hip...she was farrrr more un comfy than I was! After show was over..she yelled that I could have alll the bench.. I said in my very best dulcet, mellifluous voice..."Thank You, DEAR..." then later in the cruze, wound up at a small gathering with her, her child, her mom n granny....all at the same couchette, in the library!..C'est la vie....I'm a tenacious ole broad !!! BELIEVE IT !!!

I didn't read all 18 pages to see if anyone else noticed this or not. The towels in that picture are on every-other chair. No books, no sandals, just towels. It looks like it was staged. Now that I look at it again, it's the one that was talked about with the towel animals. I missed that when I first looked at it.

I noticed immediately

Totally absurd - that means going to the restroom is totally out of the question. Or down the water slide. Or to get a drink.

Wish I could find that vid of the woman that dropped trou on her chair and let loose on the deck.....

No. It isn't absurd. Going to the restroom, the slide, drink, is fine. The people everyone are talking about are the ones that leave their junk in a chair for hours and expect no one to move their things. The people that go have lunch in the MDR for an hour and leave their items in a chair. The people that have no respect for their fellow man.

Since it rained for nearly the entire duration of our recent Ecstasy cruise, I thought I'd see a lot of chair and table hogs in the covered areas of the lido and serenity decks. I was very pleased that this was not the case. We encountered a very polite and friendly group of travelers on this sailing.

oh yeah.. what about those two towels stretched over 4 chairs?

I have to comment on this. To those of you who do indeed do this. If I was onboard your ship, when you came back you would find me in your chair. If you came back in a reasonable amount of time, 30 mins, I would politely get up and say thanks for the use of your "reserved" chair. If not in a reasonable amount of time, please do not say anything to me, I am not moving!

I kind of agree with you...but where exactly do you find this official definition?

I also agree with you here Cruzerdeb, 30 mins. There is no "definition", I do not think, like I have said before if I get up I am not too far from the chair and can keep an eye on it somewhat. Otherwise, usually there is someone esle with me in another chair. In my opinion, if I see several towels holding numerous chairs, these people have no intention of coming back soon!

• 2 weeks later...
On the flip side of this issue...while on the Navigator of the Seas some years ago, I was IN THE POOL ONLY FEET AWAY FROM MY LOUNGER when the deck police tried to take my towel because I had the audacity to be in the pool about 30 minutes. ( was a hot morning) Not everyone is a plain old chairhog, though most are I suppose.

AHHH, you were being a Pool Hog, caught you. LOL!

This picture looks staged to me. If I saw this and every other chair had a towel and one beside it did not I would move the towel and take the 2 chairs I wanted.

Actually Carnival did this. Those are towel animals occupying those seats. :)

I read John Heald's (senior cruise director on Carnival) face book off and on. He is on the new ship the Breeze. He has posted pictures from it starting when it was under construction. A few weeks ago, he posted a picture of the Lido pool area bragging that it was the "nicest pool deck on sea."

In the picture, about every other lounge was sporting hog paraphernalia and boy did everyone jump all over that. Let's put it this way. His cheerleaders were not remarking how beautiful the pool area is.

He continually gets complaints on both his blog and face book by people on the chair hog situation and the lack of enforcement. He continually says they are "working" on solving the problem but it is still the same ole, same ole.

You would think he would have had enough sense to look at the picture before posting it and realizing it was a bad idea (lol). He never addressed the postings concerning the picture.

Tucker in Texas

• 3 weeks later...

I will be on the Elation Sept. 8-15, and I intend to spend much time in the Serenity area. I will walk up to any chair that no one is sitting in and occupy it until I am ready to leave. I won't need to save a chair, cause many will be saved for me by chair hogs. Get over it!:cool:

Last April, my family of 5 cruised RCCL's Radiance of the Seas. On all of the pool decks, there was at least one RCCL employee, dressed in white uniform, patrolling that particular area. When they saw just towels, they would ask the surrounding people, if those towels where theirs? If not, they would put a "stickie" note, which noted the time it was placed. In 30 minutes, they would return, and if no sign of life or action, they would confiscate the towels, and also some belongings. They left notes where the person could retrieve their stuff. It was being held at the information desk. It was Spring Break, and there were people having to put their towels on the deck to have a place to sun. I appreciated their efforts, and it prevented any passengers from having confrontations. They warned in signs all over the deck, as well as in the nightly letters, that you could only leave your stuff unattended for 30 minutes. I found they never bothered me, when I was saving my daughter's chair, when she went swimming or something else. It was mainly the large groups of chairs being saved and no one around to claim them. I thought this was an excellent idea! What do you all think?

It was that way on the Independence of the seas back in Nov 2008 when i was on it.. Plenty of chairs, even on sea days.

On our last cruise, fed-up, I finally got brave enough to move stuff that had been sitting on a chair for almost 2 hours. How cathartic! And nothing bad happened, no irate chog who wanted to duke it out. (I think a lot of people are embarrassed to have been caught in chogging-flagrante!!)

Anyway, by the end of the cruise I embraced my new chog-fighting mission, and (am I ashamed to say it?) I even took two of the towels that had been left on a chair forever -- nice souvenirs.:rolleyes:

Archived