Buying a men's suit in Italy and Star Sapphire Ring

xnavydoc2

Hello to all,

My Lovely wife Opal and I have booked a transatlantic cruise for next April. We will stop in Monte Carlo, Italy, (Rome, Venice) Barcelona, Turkey, Greece etc.

I would like to buy a custom made suit, (In Italy?) while I'm there, and a men's star sapphire ring. Can anyone make any recommendations? Thanks

Hello to all,

My Lovely wife Opal and I have booked a transatlantic cruise for next April. We will stop in Monte Carlo, Italy, (Rome, Venice) Barcelona, Turkey, Greece etc.

I would like to buy a custom made suit, (In Italy?) while I'm there, and a men's star sapphire ring. Can anyone make any recommendations? Thanks

I do not think a port stop would allow sufficient time to buy a custom made suit.

I suggest you do some price researching for both items. With the exchange rate, you could spend a lot more for those items in Europe than at home. Jewelry can be a lot more expensive in Europe.

BTW, buying a suit in Rome is not like in Hong Kong or Shanghai. I don't think they can have a custom suit finished in five days. My friend bought one, and it took three weeks. Italian tailors are not at all like the Asian tailors. Larry purchased a beautiful suit, a tuxedo and a white dinner jacket in Hong Kong and all the pieces were done in 24 hours. And they are absolutely fantastic. But in Italy, you'd be lucky to find a local who could do a custom suit in a few days.

I agree that Hong Kong or Thailand would be your best bet for a custom made suit. My brother who is 6'6" has his suits made when he goes to Hong Kong. Good price,m good quality and fit perfectly. He lived in Italy for 6 months and said that the Italian tailors are good, but are slow compared to the Asian tailors.

Port stops in Europe are not like the Caribbean. there are not streets full of jewelry shops beckoning you in. I remember a lot of shops in Santorini and Mykonos, but that's about it. I would price the rings at home with a trusted jeweler, and not expect to find cheaper. EM

BTW, buying a suit in Rome is not like in Hong Kong or Shanghai. I don't think they can have a custom suit finished in five days. My friend bought one, and it took three weeks. Italian tailors are not at all like the Asian tailors.quote]

This is just what I was going to say. In the Far East, the tailors are geared up to make good suits very fast and at a reasonable price, it's how they make their living. Good quality tailors in Italy are the same as good quality tailors in London, Paris, wherever. They will take their time over it, have you in for fittings etc - and you can expect to pay a lot for their time and trouble.

Hello to all,

Just make sure you get lifetime alterations on the suit at no charge.:rolleyes:

Traveled extensively internationally for Business. The general rule for any custom clothing regardless of the country is that you need to have sufficient time for 3 fittings... 1 for the pattern, 1 for the initial fitting and 1 for the final before you take ownership. If you don't have time for 3 fittings that it becomes a "buyer beware" situation even when purchasing in Hong Kong.

Did you say you'll be in Florence?

If so, you might want to shop at Ponte Vecchio. Lots of jewelry shops there. :)

JMO, but of all the things to do and see in the gorgeous City of Florence, spending time indoors looking at rings seems a pity. To have only one day, I think you'll discover seeing Michelangelo and The Duomo etc well worth finding time for.

In any case, have a great time. You'll be visiting some amazing places.

Addressing the ring only, I'd recommend shopping at one of your local pawn shops for a nice ring. I've shopped at a particular one here for a number of years and just bought two diamond rings a couple days ago. I'll probably go back and look for a bracelet for myself; maybe I'll put my MedicAlert symbol on it.

I vote for China/Asia for the best deals. Whatever stone you choose to get, make sure it has a GIA certificate. Do multiple searches for star sapphires. When I got my engagement ring, we went to a diamond broker in CA to buy the diamond (with GIA certificate), and then also had them set it in our choice design. The very best deal I ever got was in 2003, when a friend of mine who lived in D.C. went to China several times a year on business, and I paid him $250.00 for a set of freshwater pearls, which he bought there. I got a 14" matching pearl necklace, a matching pearl bracelet, a pair of matching pearl stud earrings, a pearl and diamond ring, and a pear-shaped pearl and diamond pendant with 14K gold chain. All settings were in 14 K gold. I took them to a local GIA certified jeweler for an appraisal (which we all know is replacement, not actual, value) Appraisal was $3800.00! So, I figure actual value is about $2000.00. Not bad!~

Good luck, and have a great cruise!!~

I vote for China/Asia for the best deals. Whatever stone you choose to get, make sure it has a GIA certificate. Do multiple searches for star sapphires. When I got my engagement ring, we went to a diamond broker in CA to buy the diamond (with GIA certificate), and then also had them set it in our choice design. The very best deal I ever got was in 2003, when a friend of mine who lived in D.C. went to China several times a year on business, and I paid him $250.00 for a set of freshwater pearls, which he bought there. I got a 14" matching pearl necklace, a matching pearl bracelet, a pair of matching pearl stud earrings, a pearl and diamond ring, and a pear-shaped pearl and diamond pendant with 14K gold chain. All settings were in 14 K gold. I took them to a local GIA certified jeweler for an appraisal (which we all know is replacement, not actual, value) Appraisal was $3800.00! So, I figure actual value is about $2000.00. Not bad!~

Yikes........ a 14" necklace. The lady has a VERY small neck. :eek:

Thanks Sails 7,

We will be in Florence for 2 days. What do you recommend?

Two days in Florence is to swoon over. :) You'll adore the city. I've never heard of anyone who didn't.

Surely you know what highlights are must see.......

Duomo

Petit Palace

Michaelangelo - Accademia and Uffizi Gallery

Google is your friend.

Cultured pearls are now becoming very cheap that are manufactured in China. The Chinese have perfected a system of culturing, whereas instead of getting a couple of pearls from an oyster, they can now get 15 or 20 ... sometimes even more. And they are of very high quality. So, now the price of buying high quality cultured pearls is going down. However, cultured pearls from Tahiti and other areas of the south pacific are still high priced.

Cultured pearls are now becoming very cheap that are manufactured in China. The Chinese have perfected a system of culturing, whereas instead of getting a couple of pearls from an oyster, they can now get 15 or 20 ... sometimes even more. And they are of very high quality. So, now the price of buying high quality cultured pearls is going down. However, cultured pearls from Tahiti and other areas of the south pacific are still high priced.

Yeah, I get that, and have known that, but my Chinese pearls still have great value! I also have a black pearl necklace from Fiji (Bought in Suva in 2000 for $200). Is anything from Tahiti cheap? Maybe a free brochure:D??

Archived