Traveling with a hungry teen

bakery

I have always taken some chocolate chip cookies from the HC in ziplock bags and have never had a problem. They are great to snack on when in port when deciding where to eat :)

And that might have been just fine in the ports you visited, but that is not the case in all ports of call.

And that might have been just fine in the ports you visited, but that is not the case in all ports of call.
Nor would I recommend it to anyone else as doable since you might tell someone to do it and they're stopped, their food thrown away, etc. in a port where it's against the law. Just because bringing something ashore is allowed in one port doesn't mean it's allowed in all ports because that's just not the case.

We (almost) ALWAYS eat ashore during port visits. You don't learn much about a country (including an island) if you don't sample the local fare. There is simply no point in carrying anything off the ship when there is so much to be enjoyed ashore!!

Well said. If you are hungry ashore, buy food. Just another cultural experience. Easy....

If they post the information in the Patter, it means it's a local, regional or country regulation. Most countries try to protect their agricultural industry. It's up to us to respect that and not to think in terms of, "How can a silly muffin ruin their agriculture?" Just try to arrive in the US with an apple or banana in your carry-on. I've seen people surrounded by officials and taken away.

Especially in California. If you cross any border with our state, you will be asked if you're bringing in any produce. Agriculture is one of our most important industries here so one medfly infested apple in someone's carryon can mean millions of dollars lost.

Same with other countries and islands.

that's why I'll pack packaged snacks such as Zone bars, etc., just in case we go on an excursion in a port that doesn't take us near any restaurants.

I agree with your comments about eating onshore, kendon and upcountry. But if we're looking for snacks every hour and a half, we may not see much of the city we're visiting!

Have bought and packed my granola bars.

I have always taken some chocolate chip cookies from the HC in ziplock bags and have never had a problem. They are great to snack on when in port when deciding where to eat :)

The next time your on a tour just take a look around from time to time & see how many people are munching away at something taken from the buffet. ;)

The next time your on a tour just take a look around from time to time & see how many people are munching away at something taken from the buffet. ;)

Exactly....and we're two of them! When we know it is an especially busy port day we go get sandwiches at the IC the night before and take them with us the next day! (bring your own baggies). I've done this in the Caribbean and Europe and never gave it a second thought. Fruit is another good option and we bring our own trail mix from home.

Twice I have seen people stopped by Security for trying to carry food off a ship.

The first time was in an Alaska Port. A passenger tried to walk off from the ship eating a roll. The Ship Officer told that person the roll has to be eaten on the ship or tossed into the trash can. That person, in really loud voice to attract the attention of other passengers, stated I will eat it right here. Which meant holding up the departure line.

That lasted only a few seconds until two ship security pulled that person out of line and gave them a quick talking to. Since I was on of those being held up by that persons bad manners I listened in to the conversation. Short and sweet. You will obey ship rules or you will go down the the ramp with your stuff and not come back.

The second time was in a Port in Mexico last December. After getting off the Tender passengers had to walk through a fenced lane with several Mexican Security personal at the end. They asked everyone if they had brought any food or plants off from the ship. They they made anyone carrying any type of bag to open the bag. They checked my camera case and my wife's purse.

I saw them remove items from other passengers and toss them into one of several trash cans that were sitting there.

The best thing that OP can do is to research the Ports that they will be visiting to find out the rules. And, what the punishment is if caught trying to smuggle something into the country.:eek:

Bob

Exactly....and we're two of them! When we know it is an especially busy port day we go get sandwiches at the IC the night before and take them with us the next day! (bring your own baggies). I've done this in the Caribbean and Europe and never gave it a second thought. Fruit is another good option and we bring our own trail mix from home.

I'd love to see you try and get that past the sniffer dogs at any Australian port :D

I'd love to see you try and get that past the sniffer dogs at any Australian port :D

Oh yea, been there done that. Every piece of anything, including most pre-packaged items, are a no no in AU. All wood products flagged in the luggage and checked before allowed in. They are very thorough, I have seen it with my own eyes. :eek:

Considering the economic conditions in any Mexican port I suspect their primary motive would be to confiscate any food for their own consumption & not for carrying infective food. I'd almost bet the can of food was not destroyed at the end of the day but distributed among the security workers. ;)

It's their port... their rules.

I had a similar situation when I flew into Dubai. They wanted to confinscate all of my expensive rechargable batteries. I was detained for carrying so many- and then they only took half, and let me keep the half of my choosing. I am pretty certain that those batteries are on e-bay somewhere...:(

Overall, unless specifically checked for, its likely that food carried discreetly off the ship will not be noticed.

That said, if you happen to pick the day that mister rules conscious customs officer is working, you may spend the first hour or so in port in a very small room. Is it worth the risk to either not carry packaged food or buy something on shore..

Rant mode on a sec - Really folks, this is the same thing as people who brag about sneaking rum on board, or sneaking a smoke in a non-smoking cabin, or any number of other items. You don't get to choose which rules you get to obey and which ones you discard. You agreed to them when you signed up for the trip. - End Rant Mode.

On our last cruise, taking food off was not legal. However my wife and I operated on the concept of eating hearty prior to leaving the ship for a port visit. In fact, in one of our ports we returned to the ship for lunch and had plenty of time to leave the ship again and take in other port activities prior to all aboard.

Depending on the port, we may or may not eat at local establishments while in port. It all depends on the reputation of the port. Food borne illness can really ruin a vacation and it is a greater gamble to eat in port than it is to eat on board.

Pre-packaged snacks, like Cliff Bars, PowerBars, candy bars of any kind, Handi-snacks shouldn't be an issue to take off ship in the various ports. My wife and I purchase various snack and nutrition bars at Costco because the prices are the most consistent.

If possible, I'd try to schedule a port visit and port activities around your teenager's meal needs. It isn't usually that hard, and of course, a vacation is all about relaxing, so if the port isn't doing it for your teen, just head back to the ship and relax there. That is what the ship is for (then again, I am a bit of a ship rat). Have fun!

There are many anecdotes on here of South/Central American and Australasian countries. The OP asked specifically about the Baltic states. I can only give the UK standpoint. Basically, it's ok to bring in most foods, particularly from other EU states. Certainly no reference to 'pre-packaged' goods. Now, assuming that the other EU states operate the same rules (which wouldn't surprise me, as much of such EU law is made in Brussels) there wouldn't be an issue with any of the ports with the exception of the SPB stop. No guarantee, but we're on the same cruise in a fortnight, and we'll be doing it...if they do take it from us, fair enough.

For reference, http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsP...CE_PROD_010856

Cheers

Martin

Overall, unless specifically checked for, its likely that food carried discreetly off the ship will not be noticed.

That said, if you happen to pick the day that mister rules conscious customs officer is working, you may spend the first hour or so in port in a very small room. Is it worth the risk to either not carry packaged food or buy something on shore..

Rant mode on a sec - Really folks, this is the same thing as people who brag about sneaking rum on board, or sneaking a smoke in a non-smoking cabin, or any number of other items. You don't get to choose which rules you get to obey and which ones you discard. You agreed to them when you signed up for the trip. - End Rant Mode.

It is vastly different from sneaking rum on board or having a smoke in a non smoking cabin. From the Aussie point of view it's all about keeping this island free from diseases they may affect our agriculture and or meat and livestock industries. So please leave your contraband onboard the ship and have a little respect for local laws. How difficult is it to understand this concept? :confused:

The potential damage is much greater, but the overall concept still applied to my rant. I just get tired of people complaining about how people on their cruise dared to let their kids swim in the adult pool while the staff did nothing about this horrible breach, while at the same time in another post brag about bring 2 bottles of rum aboard.

When I travel, I obey the rules/customs of where I am going, regardless of whether I agree with them or not. All of them. That's what I signed up for. It doesn't matter what the impact is, people should have some respect for the rules they agreed to follow. Obviously, btw, this is not limited to cruising.

It is vastly different from sneaking rum on board or having a smoke in a non smoking cabin. From the Aussie point of view it's all about keeping this island free from diseases they may affect our agriculture and or meat and livestock industries. So please leave your contraband onboard the ship and have a little respect for local laws. How difficult is it to understand this concept? :confused:

Archived