News: Another Major Line to Restrict Onboard Smoking

taxmantoo

Most other things that are deadly are completely banned... asbestos, driving without a seatbelt... why not smoking? That is why I think it should be banned.

I understand that it is a very addictive habit and many who currently smoke started smoking before anyone knew of the health problems associated with smoking. But, I don't understand why people my age (40s) and younger started smoking when they know it can kill you or shorten your life or degrade your life significantly. My father-in-law quit smoking about 20 years ago as soon as the doctor found early signs of lung damage. Now he has COPD.

Obesity is also a health problem. Couldn't tell by looking at the passengers on a ship.

No smoking in all public areas (except in very restricted designated smoking areas) and no smoking in cabins and verandah's is coming. It may take some time on certain cruise lines and there may be some interim steps, but it is coming. The writing is on the wall in bold capital letters.

It does not matter what anyone's personal opinion on it is. Nor does it matter that some people will pound their chests and declare that they will no longer cruise on a specific line or give up cruising altogether.

All of the cruise lines are marching to this tune. The only variable when and how they will arrive at the final destination.

I can only hope you are right. Inhaling neighbors cigar smoke while viewing from our balcony in beautiful, pristine Glacier Bay was a bit much.

Even prohibiting just cigar smoking on balconies would be a step in the right direction. Are you listening HAL?

Kitty

No smoking in all public areas (except in very restricted designated smoking areas) and no smoking in cabins and verandah's is coming. It may take some time on certain cruise lines and there may be some interim steps, but it is coming. The writing is on the wall in bold capital letters.

It does not matter what anyone's personal opinion on it is. Nor does it matter that some people will pound their chests and declare that they will no longer cruise on a specific line or give up cruising altogether.

All of the cruise lines are marching to this tune. The only variable when and how they will arrive at the final destination.

You are correct iancal. Its not a matter of wrong or right or whether it is bad for you or not, its just good business. It is where best practices are taking the cruise industry to maximize the bottom line. And no mainstream line can possibly afford to be too far behind. Thus why NCL made their decision similar to Carnival and plc.

Why not have the balconies on one side of the ship for smokers so they don't annoy those who pay for the fresh ocean air and not secondhand smoke.
Not practical - not enough smokers to fill a side. Probably not even enough to fill a side of one deck, and on most ships you would need three decks to have smoking verandahs for suites, mini-suites, and plain verandahs.

Not practical - not enough smokers to fill a side. Probably not even enough to fill a side of one deck, and on most ships you would need three decks to have smoking verandahs for suites, mini-suites, and plain verandahs.

Well, if there aren't that many smokers anymore, then there shouldn't be as much of a problem with so many fewer smokers.

I'm wondering when they're going to clamp down on people who monopolise the pool lounges, who dress like slobs on formal nights and who get drunk and stagger around the ship being loud and obnoxious? :confused:

:confused: We've been on a great many HAL cruises and I have to say we've never seen people who

who get drunk and stagger around the ship being loud and obnoxious?

Guess we've just been lucky in all those cruises. ;)

:confused: We've been on a great many HAL cruises and I have to say we've never seen people who

Guess we've just been lucky in all those cruises. ;)

I've been on a great many of HAL cruises as well...and I've always seen at least one "happy inebriated cruiser" on a ship..and it wasn't me since I haven't drunk alcohol since I was a young'un in my 20's and 30's and then grew up. ;)

Then again, I think it's pretty safe to say that the ones doing it never see it in themselves anyway!:)

c'est la vie!

I've been on a great many of HAL cruises as well...and I've always seen at least one "happy inebriated cruiser" on a ship..and it wasn't me since I haven't drunk alcohol since I was a young'un in my 20's and 30's and then grew up. ;)

Then again, I think it's pretty safe to say that the ones doing it never see it in themselves anyway!:)

c'est la vie!

and who get drunk and stagger around the ship being loud and obnoxious?

It was the 'stagger, loud and obnoxious' part to which I was referring.

I can't help myself. I get tired of these smoking rants, yet . . .

Can you imagine the outcry if people who drink were told that it was now banned in public places? This is only because most people drink alcohol that there is not a ban on drinking in public. You can bet if the majority didn't drink, we would have outlawed it a long time ago. Yes, it doesn't affect people immediately adjacent, as does the smoke that can drift into your nose. But you can sure bet it has affected thousands upon thousands of people in public places with violence and with deaths on roads, yet no one goes on about the need to ban it. Yes, smoking is a bad habit and has dangerous consequences. So does alcohol and overeating. I'm just so tired of the constant cry on here about the smell of smoking. It is not likely going to affect YOUR personal health as much as the over consumption of alcohol of others or the overeating of others, as your medical insurance rises, or as the carbon monoxide and other pollutants continue to fill the air from our vehicles and airplanes. Gee, this is really so annoying. You've achieved most public places as smoke free. You will never achieve pollutant free air and prevent others from overconsumption of food resulting in your insurance rates rising, but you keep harping on a bit of smoke on a cruise. If you are allergic, I do sympathize totally. But if you just don't like the smell of it, I am soooo tired of your rants about it. If it's legal, as it is, and if we are allowed to do it on our balconys, we will. There are a lot of things I don't like, but I sure will support your right to do it if it's legal.

I guess the flames will start about now.

Well said! It is certainly not "Big Brother" to expect clean air!
HAL is registered under the Netherlands not Big Brother.

I can't help myself. I get tired of these smoking rants, yet . . .

Can you imagine the outcry if people who drink were told that it was now banned in public places? This is only because most people drink alcohol that there is not a ban on drinking in public. You can bet if the majority didn't drink, we would have outlawed it a long time ago. Yes, it doesn't affect people immediately adjacent, as does the smoke that can drift into your nose. But you can sure bet it has affected thousands upon thousands of people in public places with violence and with deaths on roads, yet no one goes on about the need to ban it. Yes, smoking is a bad habit and has dangerous consequences. So does alcohol and overeating. I'm just so tired of the constant cry on here about the smell of smoking. It is not likely going to affect YOUR personal health as much as the over consumption of alcohol of others or the overeating of others, as your medical insurance rises, or as the carbon monoxide and other pollutants continue to fill the air from our vehicles and airplanes. Gee, this is really so annoying. You've achieved most public places as smoke free. You will never achieve pollutant free air and prevent others from overconsumption of food resulting in your insurance rates rising, but you keep harping on a bit of smoke on a cruise. If you are allergic, I do sympathize totally. But if you just don't like the smell of it, I am soooo tired of your rants about it. If it's legal, as it is, and if we are allowed to do it on our balconys, we will. There are a lot of things I don't like, but I sure will support your right to do it if it's legal.

:)

When I grew up in the 50's and 60's people smoked everywhere! When I was in college in the 60's I was one of the few on my dorm floor who did not smoke, although I had to breathe the smoke of others.

It is now the 21st Century. Smoking is no longer socially acceptable. It is illegal to smoke in many venues. Yes, it may be legal to smoke on your balconies on HAL (for now), but others are breathing your second hand smoke. If is also legal to fart, but I would not do it on my balcony.

But if you just don't like the smell of it, I am soooo tired of your rants about it. If it's legal, as it is, and if we are allowed to do it on our balconys, we will. There are a lot of things I don't like, but I sure will support your right to do it if it's legal.

It is not only the smell of it that I don't like. It is a safety hazard. There have been and literally can be flames. A passenger died in the Princess fire. Cruise lines should stop pandering to smoking addicts. Smoking needs to be banned from balconies for safety reasons.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1313059355.350873.jpg.fa68619908e03b64299c8decc8bd79fc.jpg

i can't help myself. I get tired of these smoking rants, yet . . .

Can you imagine the outcry if people who drink were told that it was now banned in public places? This is only because most people drink alcohol that there is not a ban on drinking in public. You can bet if the majority didn't drink, we would have outlawed it a long time ago. Yes, it doesn't affect people immediately adjacent, as does the smoke that can drift into your nose. But you can sure bet it has affected thousands upon thousands of people in public places with violence and with deaths on roads, yet no one goes on about the need to ban it. Yes, smoking is a bad habit and has dangerous consequences. So does alcohol and overeating. I'm just so tired of the constant cry on here about the smell of smoking. It is not likely going to affect your personal health as much as the over consumption of alcohol of others or the overeating of others, as your medical insurance rises, or as the carbon monoxide and other pollutants continue to fill the air from our vehicles and airplanes. Gee, this is really so annoying. You've achieved most public places as smoke free. You will never achieve pollutant free air and prevent others from overconsumption of food resulting in your insurance rates rising, but you keep harping on a bit of smoke on a cruise. If you are allergic, i do sympathize totally. But if you just don't like the smell of it, i am soooo tired of your rants about it. If it's legal, as it is, and if we are allowed to do it on our balconys, we will. There are a lot of things i don't like, but i sure will support your right to do it if it's legal.

excellent post!!!

It is not likely going to affect YOUR personal health as much as the over consumption of alcohol of others or ...
Please read this CDC page and get the facts about second hand smoke:

http://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_statistics/fact_sheets/secondhand_smoke/general_facts/index.htm

It includes this statemnt:

Secondhand smoke exposure causes an estimated 3,400 lung cancer deaths annually among adult nonsmokers in the United States.

There is no risk-free level of contact with secondhand smoke; even brief exposure can be harmful to health.

One of those fatalities was a friend of mine who never smoked himself but had roommates that did. Other people's smoke is far more likely to affect my health than other people's drinking.

It includes this statemnt:

Secondhand smoke exposure causes an estimated 3,400 lung cancer deaths annually among adult nonsmokers in the United States.

There is no risk-free level of contact with secondhand smoke; even brief exposure can be harmful to health.

One of those fatalities was a friend of mine who never smoked himself but had roommates that did. Other people's smoke is far more likely to affect my health than other people's drinking.

I think you'll find the number of drunk driving fatalities far exceeds the number of second-hand smoke deaths, not to mention violent homicides perpetrated by drunks.

Even on a cruise ship where it's likely you won't be involved in a drunk driving accident, there's still a chance some drunk might do something stupid like drop the anchor while the ship is moving.

On the other hand, second hand smoke on a cruiseship is definitely minimized by constraining it to certain indoor areas with strong ventilation and to outside areas where the wind takes care of things. Just because you smell the odor of smoke doesn't mean you're inhaling smoke.

As a retired healthcare professional I am very aware of the dangers of smoking and second hand smoke. Studies have shown that the second hand smoke is even more dangerous than first hand. I am very willing to live and let live except when someones " habit" endangers me and my loved ones health. Cruise lines should ban smoking on board ship, anywhere!

Archived