Celebrity Eclipse..BORING??

nitka

Thank you, but we havent booked it yet, we will soon :) and kids dont bother me, as I have my own so I'm used to having them around, but knowing that Oasis has kids areas like the h2o zone, that helps to kind of contain them in one area, and with having a big ship such as Oasis there will be plenty areas that we can get away to where kids arent allowed ;) I think the solarium will be my favorite place to relax, just hope it wont be too crouded, looking forward to the night life too;)

I must admit the only other mass market ship outside of Celebrity Cruises and Princess Cruises I have seriously looked at booking future cruises on is the Oasis of the Seas, simply because the enormity on the ship and it's numerous options intrigue me. I am sure even in off-season when I cruise most their are a lot of kids, but as you mentioned they are probably occupied in areas I wouldn't frequent. I hear all the pictures and videos don't do it justice, that the only way to truly appreciate the Oasis of the Seas is to cruise her. One day that will be me too.

Im glad I read this thread. I was looking into Celebrity. Im 51 and like the "partying crowds". Guess I wont be going on Celebrity real soon. To bad too because I really like the looks of the Solstice class ships. They will probably be to boring for me. Dont get me wrong I dont party like I used to. Just like being entertained. I do have a question though. I dont mean to make this sound rude but did most of you people quit living when you hit 30??? Life is to short! Live a little!!!! Kick it up!!!!

Actually, not to sound rude, but maybe some of us do feel like we

are living when we are destressing and relaxing. Entertainment

means different things to different people.

Im glad I read this thread. I was looking into Celebrity. Im 51 and like the "partying crowds". Guess I wont be going on Celebrity real soon. To bad too because I really like the looks of the Solstice class ships. They will probably be to boring for me. Dont get me wrong I dont party like I used to. Just like being entertained. I do have a question though. I dont mean to make this sound rude but did most of you people quit living when you hit 30??? Life is to short! Live a little!!!! Kick it up!!!!

My, what a rude post. My wife and I are 40 and 34 and live plenty. Sometimes on vacation we want something more low key and relaxing. We love the more upscale ambiance that Celebrity affords versus more action packed cruise lines such as RCI. :rolleyes:

Hi:) I have sailed Eclipse (though only for 3 nights) but have also

been on Solstice (sister ship) and as for being crowded and noisey?

Nope, I have never experienced either one. I mean there may

be some noise...music and stuff;) but as for excessive noise? I have

never had any problems. And the crowds? I have always found

spaces without feeling crowded. The OP mentioned not trying

the lawn......it is really lovely up there. There is a bar with wonderful

wicker chairs (with cushions).....a drink, a book, beautiful views.....

What type of cabin are you normally used to? A regular balcony

has 2 chairs and a table and the cabin itself is about 200 sq feet.

There are some "Hump Cabins" with bigger balconies. But as for

being "really really small"? I guess it depends on what you are

used to having......I don't find them small at all:)

Thanks Lois. I've only been on one cruise on the QM2. I had a balcony suite and did enjoy it very much. Part of my way of researching is to watch videos on youtube that people post of their staterooms. It just looks to me that the balcony rooms look like two people would be bumping into each other and that the balcony has smaller chairs just so you could say that there are two chairs on the balcony. So then I think I'd need to book a sky suite so that we don't feel so cramped.

Could just be my perception. It's only 40 sq ft smaller than the QM2 cabin I enjoyed.

Thanks for your notes on the ship too. I really look forward to finding those spots to read and look out at the ocean. For me, that's what I enjoy about being on a ship.

I do have a question though. I dont mean to make this sound rude but did most of you people quit living when you hit 30??? Life is to short! Live a little!!!! Kick it up!!!!

Seriously? Just because you like to party doesn't mean everyone does. And it sure doesn't mean that other people aren't "living" because they choose not to hang out in a dark room with loud music and drunk people.

Personally, I did more than my share of that throughout eight years of college, at a MAJOR party school, and now I am okay if I never do it again. Doesn't mean I'm not living, it just means there's other things I would rather do, like explore new places and hang out with my wife.

Yep, some of us old fogies just like to sit around in the quiet and talk about the "old days". It has to be quiet, you see, because we don't hear too well when there is ambient noise. Then we get up and toddle off with the help of our walking sticks to have one of our many naps.

Did you post this just to see what responses you would get?

Indeed, but life aboard the Celebrity Eclipse during the Summer vacation months and in Europe. It can be substantially different for a Winter or Fall cruise ship doing 7-night Caribbean when school is in session.

P.S. Hey YVR Cruiser, how are things now since the Celebrity Mercury departed? Hope the Celebrity Century is some consolation. Do you still get out there to watch her comings and goings?

I'm embarrassed that I don't remember who you are by your screen name.... Did we sail together on the Mercury? Yes, we miss seeing it here, but you know, we have gotten a bit busy and we don't go down to the port as much as we used to. There were three beauties in the other day and we were too busy to go--Silver Shadow, Crystal Symphony and the Regatta. It hasn't been much of a summer here in Vancouver.

We are looking forward to the Equinox in Nov.

There were three beauties in the other day and we were too busy to go--Silver Shadow, Crystal Symphony and the Regatta. It hasn't been much of a summer here in Vancouver.

We are looking forward to the Equinox in Nov.

I went down that day. I'm now seriously looking at Silversea - she was beautiful.

Yep, some of us old fogies just like to sit around in the quiet and talk about the "old days". It has to be quiet, you see, because we don't hear too well when there is ambient noise. Then we get up and toddle off with the help of our walking sticks to have one of our many naps.

Did you post this just to see what responses you would get?

You got it.....I am sure when they posted they had to realize it would

get us old fogies to reply:rolleyes:.....So this old fogie will buy you a drink if

we ever meet on a cruise:D

Thanks Lois. I've only been on one cruise on the QM2. I had a balcony suite and did enjoy it very much. Part of my way of researching is to watch videos on youtube that people post of their staterooms. It just looks to me that the balcony rooms look like two people would be bumping into each other and that the balcony has smaller chairs just so you could say that there are two chairs on the balcony. So then I think I'd need to book a sky suite so that we don't feel so cramped.

Could just be my perception. It's only 40 sq ft smaller than the QM2 cabin I enjoyed.

Thanks for your notes on the ship too. I really look forward to finding those spots to read and look out at the ocean. For me, that's what I enjoy about being on a ship.

Glad to help:). If you enjoy a coffee and pastry, try Cafe Al Bacio.

The food is complimenatary but you do have to pay for the drink.

They have some lovely sweets:)

Cruise Junky, what did you see from the pier that has you convinced to try Silversea? Or were you one of those lucky people who get invited on board for lunch? I don't think we'll ever be able to afford Silversea, but I would like to try Oceania some day. Maybe we'll go down to see her on the 18th.

Cruise Junky, what did you see from the pier that has you convinced to try Silversea? Or were you one of those lucky people who get invited on board for lunch? I don't think we'll ever be able to afford Silversea, but I would like to try Oceania some day. Maybe we'll go down to see her on the 18th.

The size of the balconies. My husband took one look at Regatta and said NO... her balconies were tiny. Silversea had quite large decks, gorgeous furniture. On checking her prices, they're actually not that bad when you start looking at what's included. Some of the sailing that include air are comparable to a suite on a mainstream line.

Thanks Cruise Junky. I guess we tend to forget all that is included in those luxury lines. We have never been in a suite either, though!

Well I have, but I didn't pay for it :) You're right though, I have to stop and start adding everything in that the luxury lines include...especially for you and I with air that can add $1,500 to the price tag of a European cruise. Some of their sales aren't that bad a deal once you add in the air, all drinks, gratuities, specialty dining. Ahhh sometime in the future ;)

I'm embarrassed that I don't remember who you are by your screen name.... Did we sail together on the Mercury?

Never sailed together, however during her final season out of Vancouver when we were all lamenting her fleet transfer I remember you mentioning how you would miss her as she was a favorite site of yours cruising out of harbor.

Here are a couple of threads of her final days on the west coast including her final Panama Canal transit. There's a webcam grab I took of her in Vancouver as well as quite a few in SF, and of course in the Panama Canal:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1283439

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1289979

Thanks for the pictures. That one of her just starting to move away from the dock in Vancouver was a tear jerker. I remember in 2007, one night, there were three of us posting who were on her first sailing down under. You'd think we had no life! We were watching the web cams which were live then and cheering when the ship began to move from the pier in Vancouver on her way to NZ. I was here, of course, one was in Oklahoma and the other in Queensland! That picture of yours brought back this memory.

Thanks for the pictures. That one of her just starting to move away from the dock in Vancouver was a tear jerker. I remember in 2007, one night, there were three of us posting who were on her first sailing down under. You'd think we had no life! We were watching the web cams which were live then and cheering when the ship began to move from the pier in Vancouver on her way to NZ. I was here, of course, one was in Oklahoma and the other in Queensland! That picture of yours brought back this memory.

I'm glad you enjoyed them. Too many wonderful memories from Celebrity Mercury. I find it difficult to look at pictures of her from back then. Sounds silly but she was by far one of my favorites, ever. She is sorely missed.

To the OP - I think you made the right choice and I hope you enjoy your cruise.

Actually, not to sound rude, but maybe some of us do feel like we

are living when we are destressing and relaxing. Entertainment

means different things to different people.

Agreeing with Lois! And we hope to sail with you some day as well, look for me, I will be wearing my Garnet & Gold!

Ken

To the OP - I think you made the right choice and I hope you enjoy your cruise.

Agreeing with Lois! And we hope to sail with you some day as well, look for me, I will be wearing my Garnet & Gold!

Ken

Hi Ken,:)Go Noles:D

LOL, you can disagree, but it is a fact that Celebrity has an older average demographic than RCI and Carnival. Sure on summer and holidays there will be more younger cruisers than the rest of the year, but Celebrity overall has an older demographic.

To be clear, I think Celebrity's demographics are right in the middle, from everything I've seen. Yes, older than RCI and Carnival; but younger than HAL and Princess.

To be clear, I think Celebrity's demographics are right in the middle, from everything I've seen. Yes, older than RCI and Carnival; but younger than HAL and Princess.

My husband and I are "around" 50 (he: slightly above, me: slightly below) and have sailed on RCI a number of times and enjoyed the ships in every way. Our cruise to Bermuda was definitely a slightly older crowd - very few kids and teenagers (school in session) but our other cruises were definitely heavy on families and younger singles/couples (we had our kids with us on those cruises). Our one cruise on Celebrity was lovely and definitely slanted older (again late Sept - few kids onboard - ours were with us and had a great time) and we have been eager to try them again.

The biggest reason we have not booked another Celebrity cruise before this has been the length of time - most of their cruises seem to fall in the 10-14 day slot (I know there are some 7 day Caribbean cruises too). Our kids are in their 20s now, so leaving them for 2 weeks is no longer an issue and certain job constraints have eased as well, so we will finally get to go back on a S-class, which we have been eager to try.

As an avid cruise junky, I feel that Celebrity is definitely marketing to our age group. Kids grown, so family activities are less important, more emphasis on food, cocktails and wine, a sense of getting away and unwinding but not falling asleep. The ships look stunning - I don't think any other line compares - and we are eagerly awaiting our return to X.

We have never been bored on a ship, and neither have our kids - stuck in hotels in the rain on land-based vacations - yes, but never on a ship.

We also plan to try Oasis or Allure one day too -so we aren't dead yet!

I'm glad you enjoyed them. Too many wonderful memories from Celebrity Mercury. I find it difficult to look at pictures of her from back then. Sounds silly but she was by far one of my favorites, ever. She is sorely missed.

Whatever happened to Mercury? If sold to another cruise line, who bought her and is she still sailing?

Archived