Luggage tags

jac1976

We leave for our 1st Princess cruise in a week, and I have 2 quick questions about the luggage tags I was hoping someone could answer.

1) When do I put the luggage tags on our suitcases? We fly into Seattle on Saturday, have arranged (through Princess) for a transfer to the hotel where we will spend the night before heading to the pier (again, a transfer through Princess) on Sunday. Do the luggage tags go on the suitcases before we fly, or before we head to the pier the following day?

2) Do the luggage tags really not need to be reinforced in any way? This is the first time I've had a print your own luggage tags and I am worried about the paper just being ripped off. Is it really as simple as fold and staple?

Thanks so much!

yes the tags are actually very sturdy. just follow the instructions with the folding and stapling. I was kinda shocked when they first went this route with printing your own tags, but they really do work.

You can put the tags on either before or after your flight. I'd probably wait till after your flight, that way you'll have one less tag on the luggage and you don;t have to worry about anything happening to the tag.

Happy Sailing :)

Since you're staying overnight before boarding the ship, I'd put them on at the hotel. If you were flying in the same day, I'd put them on before flying.

The luggage tags really will stay on when folded as directed and stapled. If you want to make them sturdier, you can put clear packing tape on them after folding. That's the cheapest and easiest way to do it. There are luggage tag holders designed to hold the tags if you want to go that route. Google "favors by serendipity" and once on the site, search for luggage tags.

We forgot to attach them at the hotel so when we arrived at port, some of the baggage people carry around staplers and took care of it for us. Stress that it was not a problem and the tags were sturdy.

I ordered the luggage tags at Serendipity last week. I always worry that the paper tags will get pulled off during the luggage exchange at the terminal. The tags were inexpensive and can be used over and over. It only took a couple of days to get them.

The best time to put the luggage tags on are just before you head to the ship either just before leaving your hotel if you are arrving ahead of time or after you pick up your luggage at the airport.

There have been many threads on this issue over the years and once they stopped (they being the cruise line) picking up your bags at the airport, it was felt that by putting CRUISE tags on your luggage, it was potentially making that bag suspect for some one to go after. Again possibly an issue but why take the chance.

We always wait till the last possible time that we can

Pete

Unlike Pete, I always put my luggage tags on as early as possible. Airlines lose luggage. It happens all the time and happened to me last June when we flew to Newark for a Celebrity cruise. AA knew where it was... 3,000 miles away and they didn't know when it would arrive. It finally arrived the next day as we were leaving the hotel for the cruise. If they had had to deliver our bags to the ship or sent them on to Bermuda, having the cruise tags on means they would have been quickly identified. I lock my bag and never put anything irreplaceable in it so security isn't an issue for me. If someone wants undies, shirts or skirts, who cares?

I print out an extra set and put them on at home before I go to the airport.

Here's why:

Even if you put your itinerary in the suitcase on top, putting a ship tag on will help them know where you are (and where to forward the bags) should they get delayed and not arrive when you do.

I always have an extra set in my carryon in case they get torn off by the airlines. I laminate with clear packing tape and punch holes with a hole punch. I use zip ties to attach them to the bag, so if I have to put on another tag, I don't need any equipment to do so, only the tag and zip ties in my purse.

We did not print out our tags before leaving home. When we got to the pier there were Princess people there with blank tags which they filled out with our cabin info and all was fine.

On the disembarkation part there was a problem. My son's bag could not be found. We were advised to continue on to the airport and were told when it is located they would bus it over. Paperwork with home info was filed. We left with not much faith in ever seeing it again. Thank goodness we had a 3 hour wait for our flight. About 2 hours later it was delivered as promised but without the color coded tag. It must have either fallen off or was removed by some mean -spirited individual. Tape it on!

I use the luggage tag holders from Favors By Serendipity, and think they're great. I don't put the cruise tags on until the morning of embarkation. They will email an itinerary form you can use in the holders for the flight and then I switch it out for the cruise luggage tags. The form has instructions on the outside to the luggage handlers in case your luggage gets lost, but all my travel information is not visible until it is taken off and opened.

I use the luggage tag holders from Favors By Serendipity' date=' and think they're great. I don't put the cruise tags on until the morning of embarkation. They will email an itinerary form you can use in the holders for the flight and then I switch it out for the cruise luggage tags. The form has instructions on the outside to the luggage handlers in case your luggage gets lost, but [u']all my travel information is not visible until it is taken off and opened.[/u]

That just seems like another delay to me and if I can keep them from opening my suitcase and disturbing my stuff, the better.

do the pre printed tickets not come with your tickets anymore? its been a few yrs since we cruised princess
Princess never had pre-printed tickets with your name and cabin number. They were generic for your cabin's location and you filled out the specifics. I always wondered how luggage actually got to cabins based on the awful handwriting and scribbles I saw on quite a few tags. It was as though people were daring the luggage handlers to figure it out. Princess hasn't sent cruise docs for several years. They've been electronic that you print out yourself. Much easier.

When you print out your luggage tags now, it's all filled out with the specifics and a bar code. Luggage seems to be delivered far faster with the "new" (they've been in use for about 18 months now) luggage tags.

I just ordered some luggage tag holders from Serendipity for my New England/Canada trip on the Princess Carribean. Thank you, Pam, for the info. You are very helpful to many people on this board. We all appreciate it. This will be my 10th cruise and I don't know anywhere near what you know. Thanks again, Bob.

I ordered the luggage tags at Serendipity last week. I always worry that the paper tags will get pulled off during the luggage exchange at the terminal. The tags were inexpensive and can be used over and over. It only took a couple of days to get them.

I lost their web site. Can't seem to find the correct Serendipty.

Do you have it?

Thanks!

I know there has been discussion as to when to put the tags on but I also think it is predicated on when you plan to arrive in port, we always head down 1-2 days in advance and use our normal luggage tags with the address of the hotel inside one of the open pouches on the luggage. And we use the TSA locks, we get up in the am of the cruise and then put the ship luggage tags on and in addition we have a piece of paper in one of the comparments that has a. the cruise ship info and b. (in case it does not make it) our home info

Pete

Archived