Book with cruise line or travel agent?

mominlaw

I'm wondering if it's better to book through a travel agent or directly with the cruise lines. On our first cruise, we booked through Continental.comCruises, and other than the miles, didn't get a price break, or any perks. On our roll call, those that booked through RCCL were receiving refunds if the price of the cruise dropped. So what's the advantage of going through a travel agent? Ready to book our 2nd cruise and need advice. Thanks!

We are not allowed to recommend or mention by name Travel Agencies. I would expect your name mentioned will get nixed. Perhaps the entire post.

If you look around, you will find many threads on this topic. Some variation of it gets asked almost daily.

Op this is asked hundreds of times. As suggested just look through these threads or use the search function. Your thread will be pulled, as discussions about specific travel agencies are not allowed. Read the posting guidelines at the top of the page.

Most cruise lines do not allow TAs to discount fares. For the ones that do, you can get a decent savings by shopping around.

For lines that don't allow it, if you shop around, you can find some perks from TAs. Things like OBC or a bottle of wine.

You have raised several different issues. As to whether its better to book direct with a cruise line or a TA our answer would be to book with whoever gives you the best deal (almost always a TA). As to the price-drop situation, this is one of those let the buyer beware things. Most TAs do not track their booked reservations. But if you keep checking on cruise prices (we generally look about once or twice a week) and see a price drop outside of the final payment period, it is usually just a matter of a quick e-mail or toll free call to your TA. And as to the cruise lines, most no longer guarantee that they will automatically adjust your price so, again, it pays to watch prices after yor book. As to price drops inside the final payment period, this is a totally different issue. Although most cruise lines will not adust prices in this situation, the issue is open to negotiation if you follow-up. You often (but not always) can get upgrades or on board credits if you push the issue.

As to your personal experience with a TA, you might want to consider that you simply chose the wrong TA. We always shop around with about 4 -6 large on line agencies and compare their deals to the cruise lines. In the end we almost always go with whoever offers the best overall deal (considering price, on board credits, pre paid gratuities, etc)

Hank

Picking a cruise based solely on price is fine for experienced cruisers who know exactly what they want. Otherwise it could be a complete waste of money. There is no one perfect choice-I travel with 3 different companies, each with its own strengths and weaknesses. There are other lines I will not touch even though some people here say they're great.

A good TA will focus on what cruise is best for you. Finding a good TA- OK, it's not easy. Look for one who asks you a lot of questions about what you want, has travelled on a number of ships, and explains the trade-offs you have to make.

We always book thru a TA. For us it is just too much money to throw away by paying the full price. Maybe our cruises are planned differently than most people's. We decide which cruise we want and what type cabin. I then go to about 30 or 40 TA websites and get a quote. I take the cheapest and call my local TA. Usually she matches it. When she doesn't, I call the agent with the low price.

We always book thru a TA. For us it is just too much money to throw away by paying the full price. Maybe our cruises are planned differently than most people's. We decide which cruise we want and what type cabin. I then go to about 30 or 40 TA websites and get a quote. I take the cheapest and call my local TA. Usually she matches it. When she doesn't, I call the agent with the low price.

The above is a great idea which we also do.

Anyone who thinks that TA's don't discount fares is simply giving away between 10 and 15 percent of their cruise fare.

Scott & Karen

I have a spreadsheet with the URL for any TA I have heard of that is supposed to be cheap. When cruising if someone says they got a great deal I get the name from them and add it to the list. When it is time to book. I open the spreadsheet and work my way down the list recording the quotes.

we have been HAPPY using both, but what i like with going thru the cruiseline i get my questions answered right away without having to go thru my TA first.

Guess my questions must be easier. I have never had a question that rushing to get an answer was worth 10 to 20% of the cost of the cruise.

we have been HAPPY using both, but what i like with going thru the cruiseline i get my questions answered right away without having to go thru my TA first.

One of the two cruises we currently have under booking was nearly $4000 less costly by booking though a particular travel agent vs using the cruise line web site. The only question I would have for the cruise line would be why can I save $4000 by avoiding booking direct... :) There is no harm in shopping around for a cruise and it takes us about 30 min to check with our personal "short list" of TAs (its just a few clicks on the mouse). If we cannot get a good deal through our TAs we do book direct with the cruise lines and that has happened once in over 60 bookings (it was with Celebrity).

Hank

If I found a travel agent who would give me price drops for no fee, or saved me so much $ off the price of booking directly that the cruise lines price drops could not touch it - I would definitely consider booking with an agent. So far the travel agents I've asked for bids have not given me a better price. Except for one bidding site. I worry about losing control of my booking, have read of occasional problems with a travel company going out of business. This is something that trip insurance does not always cover.

I joined one cruise interest group locally that is lead by a travel agent. I was so not impressed with his attitude. All he did was run down the cruise line I liked, and his info was not accurate at least in my experience of cruising this line. I believe he was pushing other lines because his commission would be more. Basically he said the only reason for someone to book CCL is that they don't know better. And then describing the food in the NCL MDR as spectacular. Really. Not my first time at the rodeo I don't believe the food on any mass market cruise line line is going to be spectacular, at least in the MDR. No way I'd give my business to someone who'd say anything to make a buck.

In the past, I've always done my own booking. However, for our next cruise I am inviting a group of friends, and hope a TA will help to be able to get some good discounts for our group (if it is large enough).

I also share the worry that the TA won't be vigilant in watching for drops in the price, or won't react quickly enough if I do notify them of a price drop which I have noticed.

In the past, I've always done my own booking. However, for our next cruise I am inviting a group of friends, and hope a TA will help to be able to get some good discounts for our group (if it is large enough).

I also share the worry that the TA won't be vigilant in watching for drops in the price, or won't react quickly enough if I do notify them of a price drop which I have noticed.

Be sure to ask this question specifically. Some charge $25 for any change to the booking, including price drops. Some won't honor price drops because it eats into their commission, and of course they don't want to work for free.

Archived