Bucket list -- first time cruise

motherof

My husband, adult daughter, her best friend, and I are booked for an Eastern Caribbean (9 night) cruise on RCC. My daughter took this same cruise last fall with a disability travel group (she and her friend are both autistic). DH and I have a junior suite, and the young women have an interior cabin across the hall from us.

I've been reading all the tips and taking notes for a while now -- thanks to all of the contributors! But I still have a few questions.:D

I expect my DD and her friend (DDAHBFF) to be fairly independent. Most of our contact will be at dinner and the shore excursions. Still, DH and I will need to be available if they need us. I'm thinking of magnetic cards that can be left on the door telling where each person is -- pool, gym, spa, rock wall, deck, food. Does anyone have a better suggestion?

The idea is that DDAHBFF will be able to use our suite if they need some quite time. Our TA is hopeful that the cabin steward will be able to let them in if we are not available. Does anyone else have experience with this?

It is important that their room be close to ours. I've read other threads where rooms have been changed around. Is there a way to prevent this, or at least to ensure that any changes keep us close together?

I try to be a healthy eater, and avoid refined carbs. I already know that whole grains are few and far between, so I'll probably be low-carbing it during the cruise. Any suggestions? Also DD's friend takes a medication with yogurt twice a day. I know yogurt will be available at breakfast. Can we get some in the evening, or can she get an extra at breakfast and stash it in our refrigerator?

There appears to be priority boarding with the JS. Will DDAHBFF be permitted to board with us? Letting them board on their own is not an option.

Any other tips? I've been wanting to take a cruise for many years. Now that my youngest is out of college and independent, we finally have the money to do so. I'm very excited about this and want to maximize our chances for a wonderful trip. Thank you.

You can get extra keys that will only open the door (no photo or charging priviledges attached) if you want to give them free access to your cabin. See the Customer service desk! You can't count on the attendant to be around, and they may NOT let them in....they aren't supposed to open the door, even for YOU! (Security issues!)

Put a "no upgrade" request on both cabins, either thru RCI or your TA...however you booked.

Yes...they may board with you..no problem.

Yes..you can bring yogurt or snacks to your cabin for later, if you wish. Room service may be able to deliver it, also. Oatmeal is a "whole grain" and they also have that!

If only JS guests are permitted in that line, you can always opt to not go to that line and stay in the other lines with DD and her friend.

The front desk should be able to make additional key cards for your DD to use to enter your cabin if you are not there.

Not all cabin doors are metal and will hold a magnet. How about bringing a pad of post it notes to use, just in case. Or, if like on HAL ships, all cabins have a mailbox, you could put a pad of paper in each and you all could keep updating on the pad where you can be found. Leave a few pencils in the slot to always have one handy. :)

Hope you all have a GREAT time. :)

I have usually been able to find or at least get yogurt in the afternoon. You can also take a carton & stash it in the fridge. Ask the buffet staff if you want something you don't see. They really do want to help.

B/c of your daughter's medical conditions, I suspect even if most people can't have friends / family members join them in the suite line, an exception may be made in your case (at least I hope it would).

Magnets will work OK for communicating. You can also use post it notes or leave messages on the phones in the cabin but you have to be in the cabin to retrive them. There's no way to dial in for messages. You may want to consider walkie talkies.

I know yogurt will be available at breakfast. Can we get some in the evening, or can she get an extra at breakfast and stash it in our refrigerator?

You should be able to get all the yogurt you need. I would get it and use the fridge.

Also, anything else that you need, talk to guest relations, and you should be taken care of.

You are on a cruise, and they will accomodate you.

Have a great cruise.

My husband, adult daughter, her best friend, and I are booked for an Eastern Caribbean (9 night) cruise on RCC. My daughter took this same cruise last fall with a disability travel group (she and her friend are both autistic). DH and I have a junior suite, and the young women have an interior cabin across the hall from us.

I've been reading all the tips and taking notes for a while now -- thanks to all of the contributors! But I still have a few questions.:D

I expect my DD and her friend (DDAHBFF) to be fairly independent. Most of our contact will be at dinner and the shore excursions. Still, DH and I will need to be available if they need us. I'm thinking of magnetic cards that can be left on the door telling where each person is -- pool, gym, spa, rock wall, deck, food. Does anyone have a better suggestion?

The idea is that DDAHBFF will be able to use our suite if they need some quite time. Our TA is hopeful that the cabin steward will be able to let them in if we are not available. Does anyone else have experience with this?

It is important that their room be close to ours. I've read other threads where rooms have been changed around. Is there a way to prevent this, or at least to ensure that any changes keep us close together?

I try to be a healthy eater, and avoid refined carbs. I already know that whole grains are few and far between, so I'll probably be low-carbing it during the cruise. Any suggestions? Also DD's friend takes a medication with yogurt twice a day. I know yogurt will be available at breakfast. Can we get some in the evening, or can she get an extra at breakfast and stash it in our refrigerator?

There appears to be priority boarding with the JS. Will DDAHBFF be permitted to board with us? Letting them board on their own is not an option.

Any other tips? I've been wanting to take a cruise for many years. Now that my youngest is out of college and independent, we finally have the money to do so. I'm very excited about this and want to maximize our chances for a wonderful trip. Thank you.

A tip to add to the others. See if you can find some of those lanyards that people wear with their IDs . You know , they have those plastic see though pockets.They are great to put your doorkey,Id,credit card etc. in. That way you don't have to worry about that stuff falling out of your pockets and getting lost PLUS you don't have to haul a purse around. The cruise personnel are wonderful and will go out of their way to make sure your trip goes smoothly. All you have to do is ask.;)

Thanks for all of the suggestions. They are very helpful. I especially appreciate the lanyard suggestion -- things are less likely to get lost that way.:p I'm adding lanyards to my running list of things to bring.

I read on this forum, you can get a "blank key" - an additional key to your cabin to give to someone, this key will only open the door, cannot buy anything with it.

I don't think it's safe to put a note on the door. With this "blank key" your daughter can open the door and see your note inside.

Cabins get changed only if you get "guarantee" or signed up for upgrade. If you reserved a cabin # without upgrade, you will stay in that cabin.

We didn't have a problem getting "healthy" bread or bread rolls, as for anything else... more veggies? I would get yogurt at breakfast in the buffet and take to the cabin, better safe than sorry.

Do you have dinner at set time, or any time dining? If set time, you can request a yogurt for every dinner, you can contact the ship for special request. But I would still get enough for the day in the buffet in the morning.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. They are very helpful. I especially appreciate the lanyard suggestion -- things are less likely to get lost that way.:p I'm adding lanyards to my running list of things to bring.

I saw some with an attached ID holder at Home Depot yesterday:)

I don't know if this was mentioned, but for the gals, a small zippered pouch with a wrist band worked for me. I bought the pouch and then added the wristband (like a telephone cord, it was spiral). Then if I just had to go down to the lobby to ask a question, went up to the pool for a short time or just walked around the ship, I could have my room key in the pouch. Many times I had on my swim suit or shorts that didn't have pockets, so this one worked. Also, I if my husband was asleep and I quietly left the cabin, I could let myself back in without distrubing him. Another note to mention: They will give you a map (at least Carnival and Celebrity did) so that if you get lost on the ship, just read the map. Carry it with you until you are familiar with the ship.

I don't know if this was mentioned, but for the gals, a small zippered pouch with a wrist band worked for me.

Thanks, Joanne! I may get that along with lanyards, and DD and her BFF can use whichever is most comfortable for them.

On the maps -- DD said that they did not get maps on her cruise, though it is possible that only the staff for her group were given the maps. I was planning to print the maps from the website. Does anyone know if RCC Enchantment does give out maps?

Also, speak with RCI about the diet. My kids, both HF autistic, are on a GFCF diet, they are more than happy to accomidate us. I have the lanyard for my son and a side purse for my daughter so she can carry her phone. I can text her when I need to find her and her friend.

Penny

You may want to consider walkie talkies.

I was going to recommend this as well...I have heard of many families bringing walkie talkies in order to keep connected.

If the doors are not magnetic, you may want to bring your own dry erase board/ magnetic message board and some 3M stickies/hooks to attach the board to your door.

Have a wonderful cruise!!! :)

Also, speak with RCI about the diet. My kids, both HF autistic, are on a GFCF diet, they are more than happy to accomidate us.

I did contact them about whole grains. While they are prepared to accommodate a gluten free diet (which I am not disputing the importance of -- my mother has celiac and doesn't have a choice to not follow the diet), they do not have options for whole grains.

"We can accommodate some special dietary needs, such as food allergies and gluten-free, vegetarian (except for vegan and lacto-ovo vegetarian), low-fat, low sodium, Lactaid®/soy milk, Ensure® and kosher meals."

They offered sugar free desserts, but I don't do artificial sweeteners, so I'll stick with sharing a bite of my husband's desserts and stick to fruit.

I was going to recommend this as well...I have heard of many families bringing walkie talkies in order to keep connected.

Walkie talkies was my first thought. But I saw a lot of disparaging posts about how annoying they are, so I reconsidered. Plus, they have the potential to be somewhat, um, abused by a certain someone who likes to call my cell frequently when she isn't home...:p

Walkie talkies was my first thought. But I saw a lot of disparaging posts about how annoying they are, so I reconsidered. Plus, they have the potential to be somewhat, um, abused by a certain someone who likes to call my cell frequently when she isn't home...:p

I had them once, and they were pretty much worthless.

Archived