Royal Caribbean strands 145 passengers in San Juan when Irene forces early departure

The risk of flying in the day before or not, really has nothing to do with this situation. People could of just been out enjoying PR thinking they have plenty of time to get to the ship.

The facts are that RCI left 145 passengers behind, the passengers were given no warning that the ship was leaving so early. RCI is now saying to 130 passengers that oh well its not our fault (its an act of GOD). We are keeping your money, not paying for your hotels, not pay for flight changes, etc. Also that fact that these people's vacations have now been ruined, its hard enough for some people to have the money and or time to ever go on a vacation.

You feel the need to hold RCI responsible knowing that there was a hurricane coming but you don't think the people that felt it was okay to go sightseeing, knowing that a hurricane was coming,should be responsible?

That would be really awful to miss the ship because it left the port early. RCCL should have given some effort to contacting missing guests - but it is not as if they had a static list to work from. They could have the list of missing passengers at the time they were told they would have to leave early, but how many of those were in line checking in?

Don't forget - not every person with a cell phone uses text messaging and for many of us Puerto Rico is considered international roaming. Unless I was in my hotel room working they could have emailed all day and I would not have received it.

The article didn't mention what procedures were followed at the port to notify the passengers who missed the ship so we can't really compare that part to what Carnival did or did not do.

Well it was the USA Today so we know that we're getting all of the information just like FOX news where it's fair and balanced.;)

You feel the need to hold RCI responsible knowing that there was a hurricane coming but you don't think the people that felt it was okay to go sightseeing, knowing that a hurricane was coming,should be responsible?

It really has nothing to do with the hurricane, I personally think this is a situation where cruiselines can learn from and maybe make a policy when cruising in hurricane season they tell people in advance to come to the ships early. I bet on everyones set sail pass is said to arrive at the pier at 2 p.m. Why not tell people to come for 12 p.m. because they don't know if they will have to leave early or not.

I am mostly disapointed on how they handled 130 guests, by basically saying that its not RCI fault and to bad so sad type of attitude.

Carnival is handling it much better and still trying to make all their customers happy by getting them to the ship and paying for hotels and flights.

Just a thought:

What if every cruise line printed their departure port telephone number (staffed by the cruise line staff) on the Set Sail Pass?? That way, passengers can call in and confirm whether there are any changes in departure times especially when the weather looks threatening. Just a thought.

Since you now know where you stand with Royal Caribbean I suggest that you cancel your upcoming cruise and book with Carnival. Those of us that have cruised with them know that they are perfect in every way. NOT!

I guess it makes you made that Carnival handled a situation better than RCI?

I have enjoyed all my cruises. I am just disapointed to hear how they handled things in PR.

We don't know if the passengers were being responsible or not. The article doesn't say at what time the decision was made to leave early, though it does say that "port officials began to limit harbor traffic at 12:30 p.m." So presumably, this is the earliest that RCI would have begun to make preparations to leave early. We don't know how many passengers contacted RCI prior to 12:30 and were assured that they would be leaving on schedule, so no worries.

I don't blame Royal Caribbean for having their ship leave early, as the decision was forced upon them by the port authorities. But I do blame them for not taking care of their stranded passengers in some fashion. Their standard of customer service should be higher than "it's not our fault, so tough luck."

It really has nothing to do with the hurricane, I personally think this is a situation where cruiselines can learn from and maybe make a policy when cruising in hurricane season they tell people in advance to come to the ships early. I bet on everyones set sail pass is said to arrive at the pier at 2 p.m. Why not tell people to come for 12 p.m. because they don't know if they will have to leave early or not.

I am mostly disapointed on how they handled 130 guests, by basically saying that its not RCI fault and to bad so sad type of attitude.

Carnival is handling it much better and still trying to make all their customers happy by getting them to the ship and paying for hotels and flights.

Well actually,I think it has everything to do with the Hurricane. If it was sunny skies, we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

I don't want to make it sound like I applaud RCI, but without knowing the facts, I am not gonna jump to conclusions. Just as I have no facts what circumstances Carnival had to make their decision. I am sure we will hear more when that cruise is over. Although from what I hear, RCI is not the best cruise line for compensating their passengers :(

Just a thought:

What if every cruise line printed their departure port telephone number (staffed by the cruise line staff) on the Set Sail Pass?? That way, passengers can call in and confirm whether there are any changes in departure times especially when the weather looks threatening. Just a thought.

Personally, if I was going on this cruise, I would have been in touch with RCI regularly to see what effects this hurricane would have on my cruise.

I would also have been one of the first in line to get on the ship.

Southwest has a system that will text you with any flight changes. True, some people may have had their phones off; also true that some people don't have texting. But they could have reached some people. If I had been stranded, I would feel a little better if RCI had attempted some sort of contact.

We don't know if the passengers were being responsible or not. The article doesn't say at what time the decision was made to leave early, though it does say that "port officials began to limit harbor traffic at 12:30 p.m." So presumably, this is the earliest that RCI would have begun to make preparations to leave early. We don't know how many passengers contacted RCI prior to 12:30 and were assured that they would be leaving on schedule, so no worries.

We all have responsibilities.I know if I was there knowing a hurricane was coming, I would not go sightseeing.

I don't blame Royal Caribbean for having their ship leave early, as the decision was forced upon them by the port authorities. But I do blame them for not taking care of their stranded passengers in some fashion. Their standard of customer service should be higher than "it's not our fault, so tough luck."

You are right , RCI had to leave, it was not their decision. My point before was if they had time to contact the passengers, they should/could have.

Its called planning AHEAD. They KNEW a hurricane was coming up the coast. It can't be the first time a hurricane was close to a port and a port had to be closed early. They should know to predict these things as a company, and at the very least if their is potential that they have to leave early to let their customer know of the possibility.

The passengers ALL knew a hurricane was coming too. Anyone with any sense would have been on the ship asap.

There was no way RCL knew they were going to get kicked out of the port.

The risk of flying in the day before or not, really has nothing to do with this situation. People could of just been out enjoying PR thinking they have plenty of time to get to the ship.

Precisely why we board as early as possible, STAY on board & pop open that bottle of Champagne!

Why we flew to SJ two days early and boarded as early as possible - and it wasn't even hurricane season. I figure if I am on the ship then I'm leaving when it does so there's no such thing as boarding too early.

We do the same thing, along with purchasing travel insurance. And we get to the port in San Juan around 11:30 AM. I'm way too type-A to try and get to the port the same day as the cruise. Thank God for CruiseCritic, because I wouldn't have known to do all that if I hadn't read that here.

How would they? I suppose they could ask as many of their reservations employees top start calling cell phone numbers provided by guests, but that could take hours, hours they did not have.

How many people do you think have their cell phones on when traveling? I don't. It's the first thing that I shut off when going on vacation.

I'm a little shocked at why a person would take a cell phone when touring. Unless they have an "international plan" it seems like it would just be a paperweight...an EXPENSIVE paperweight should they receive text or calls during the time. We put ours on airplane mode.

According to RCI website: "All guests must be checked-in and onboard the ship no later than 90 minutes prior to the published sailing time or you will not be permitted to sail."

I do believe this is to initial sail away...not for port days. :eek:

I don't think the passengers did anything wrong but...I do believe RCI has at a minimum a contract of carriage to get the passengers to the destinations. If the passenger fails their part of the contract by not showing up to the ship at the designated time...then that's a different issue...

If they had to pull out early they should be obligated to make arrangements to collect those 145 passengers or make arrangements to get them back to the home port (not home necessarily but "home port").

But "ULTIMATELY" they should have known a hurricane was underway. There's PLENTY of "data" that would have identified the situation. The captian did not make a "logical" call. He could have either announced to all passengers leaving they needed to return to port by 1-2 due to an incoming hurricane OR...choose not to port at all due to the hurricane. If these passengers were on a ship sponsored excursion...they are guaranteed to be returned to the ship in time. There's GOT to be more to the story. Travel insurance may or may not have a loophole on this one. I'm sorry. I don't 100% trust travel insurance. Some of it's good some of it's useless.

BTW the carnival thread is buzzing about this as well. A couple of the posts state that carnival only provided flights for those that had insurance or booked flights thru carnival. So it appears they also did not provide for everyone.

But this is all second hand info and we will all have to wait and see from those that were actually there.

The cruiseline knew of impending possible hurricane They have scenarios from the hurricane center and that was one of the models

They should have at least attempted to notify pax of possiblity of leaving early. They have Hurricanes every year and they have access to phone #s

The passengers that was flying in day of thats on them as most people book there air 3-6months out and have no idea that a hurricane would be hitting land that paticular day.

Another reason to fly day before boarding

For the people that flew in a day or 2 early and didnt get to board THAT SUCKS

Ive been in many ports with bad weather and unless it was tender port I wouldnt think of a ship leaving early. And if I dont have to be on the ship til and hr or 2 before leaving port most likely im not

But if I knew of impending hurricane I would probably would have been boarding the ship a little earlier than normal

I think there is something to be learned by all here and I am surprised how Carnival handled this situation and the way Royal didnt

I think Royal will change its stance on this situation in the near future

Well it was the USA Today so we know that we're getting all of the information just like FOX news where it's fair and balanced.;)

Are you implying that they deliberately altered the news story or omitted information that should have been reported? Have you been able to find another source with different facts? I’d like to know what the ‘real’ story happened with RCI since you’re assuming USA Today is not a ‘real’ newspaper and didn’t do it right.

I'm a little shocked at why a person would take a cell phone when touring. Unless they have an "international plan" it seems like it would just be a paperweight...an EXPENSIVE paperweight should they receive text or calls during the time. We put ours on airplane mode.

I do believe this is to initial sail away...not for port days. :eek:

I don't think the passengers did anything wrong but...I do believe RCI has at a minimum a contract of carriage to get the passengers to the destinations. If the passenger fails their part of the contract by not showing up to the ship at the designated time...then that's a different issue...

If they had to pull out early they should be obligated to make arrangements to collect those 145 passengers or make arrangements to get them back to the home port (not home necessarily but "home port").

But "ULTIMATELY" they should have known a hurricane was underway. There's PLENTY of "data" that would have identified the situation. The captian did not make a "logical" call. He could have either announced to all passengers leaving they needed to return to port by 1-2 due to an incoming hurricane OR...choose not to port at all due to the hurricane. If these passengers were on a ship sponsored excursion...they are guaranteed to be returned to the ship in time. There's GOT to be more to the story. Travel insurance may or may not have a loophole on this one. I'm sorry. I don't 100% trust travel insurance. Some of it's good some of it's useless.

Uh...this wasn't a port day...it was the start of the cruise.

Archived