Royal Caribbean strands 145 passengers in San Juan when Irene forces early departure

There are always two sides to every problem, and a cruise contract,

and travel insurance and the complications.

Playing it safe too relative to your own comfort zone,

knowing of possibility of effects of hurricane in the Atlantic

heading right at them.

Actually, according to the news tonight, it is heading right toward ME!

The article also states that Serenade departed at 5:30 PM while they quote a guest who says she arrived at the pier shortly after 5 PM to find the ship gone and the pier closed.

So what is the truth?

Good question...maybe that one guest was so panicky, as I would be, they maybe exaggerated? Or possibly it was an outright lie by RCI ? Guess we all will have to get the real story when the passengers return from their cruise.

We are gearing up for our 3rd "hurricane season" cruise and the first and second were excellent weather throughout. I think everyone needs to be aware of what's going on in the tropics before heading out to San Juan. They were showing this system in the news well before Sunday.

I think everyone holds some responsibility in attentiveness to the weather - the Port, RCCL, AND the passengers. Maybe RCCL should have a paragraph in their set-sail documents that is hi-lighted for passengers during this season to warn them of the chance that an early departure can happen. This is not the first time it has happened.

Well i just don't see how all the blame can be put on RCCL. People need to use a little common sense and knowing that a hurricane is in the vinicity the passengers should have thought to keep a ck on the departure. Maybe RCCL should have some type of communication with San Juan officials to spread the word and try to give ample warning. Everyone knows when they purchase their tickets,if travel insurance is not purchased, that any such event must be covered by the passenger at their own expense. IMHO

Yes, Carnival did step up, they had staff at the airport and a dedicated phone number for pax to call to make arrangements to fly to Barbados. They put them up in hotels in San Juan and flew them to Barbados last night.

Sounds like Carnival was much more proactive and thinking of their clients welfare and they had twice as many to deal with. Having been in SJ I can't imagine how there couldn't have been some notice - assuming most of the "already arriveds" were hanging out closer to the peer could they not have at least used those really loud horns they have on board. Repeatedly setting those things off in a repetative pattern would have gotten most people's attention if they were within ear shot which in turn would have raised some questions and maybe far fewer would have been stranded. While travel insurance might compensate some of these people what if this had not been an embarkation port and hundreds of people were off seeing the sights - most insurance doesn't cover for missed connection in a closed port of call as you are already "at the port" as it were. How would that be handled? - "sorry you're on the other side of the island wearing nothing but a bathing suit and Tshirt and shorts with a days worth of meds, just enough spending money to get you by in case you get robbed and no passport as it's not required and is safer in your room safe, but we gotta go now so have a nice day"??

Every document you receive from your booking confirmation to the e-docs (which is a written contract from the seller to the buyer) has the date as well as the departure time the ship will leave. Where on these documents do you see in writing the statement we can leave whenever we want to, under any and all extenuating circumstances and you are simply on your own? If the time on these contracts change for whatever reason who has the duty to notify? Reason should not get in the way here, hurricane, earthquake or the captain had a fight with his wife. To me it is that plain and simple. The contract you are given is a contract of adhesion “The buyer is not given opportunity to negotiate. The buyer must take the terms” it is a case of “take it or leave it” in other words RCCL made this contract put the time of departure down in writing and now they are saying “Not our problem” Hummm…. I’m not a lawyer, but as I see it this might be one swell case for one…..Would love to hear from an attorney and their view point.

If I make one tiny change on my cruise RCCL always sends through a new Booking Confirmation with the new change reflected. It is also reflected on the e-docs. So if they change things on the contact and do not notify you then I feel they are in violation. If you think they are allowed to do this with the time, then I say they can do it on every other part of your contract, your pricing, or any number of other important items, you then would have no recourse.

If this was the originating cruise from this port that the ship was sitting in port since about 7:00 am and RCCL knew there was a hurricane out there. It would appear they had plenty of time to try and get in touch with these 130 people. Why would they just sit around and wait for the port to give them instructions? This all seems so bazaar, I simply can’t believe that RCCL would just leave these people adrift on their own. There just has to be more to this story than what is being reported in the press.

San Juan, PR is not a different country. PR is a US territory. My cell phone has always worked there without a problem and without extra charges. I can remember using my cell phone there over 10 years ago.

I have used my cellphone in San Juan also without incurring extra charges, and also St.Thomas.

No way of notifying everyone? With the amount of media to contact people today that's no excuse. I had a flight cancelled on Sunday and jetBlue e mailed me, and left a voicemail on my cell phone 2 hours before the flight.

No excuse imo.

Found this on Travel USA Today:

"Carnival Cruise Lines left about 300 passengers behind in San Juan Sunday when approaching Hurricane Irene forced it to depart the island early. But unlike Royal Caribbean, which faced a similar problem, Carnival put all the passengers up in hotels and offered to fly them to the next port.:rolleyes:"

Unfortunately I "also" have heard thru the "grapevine" that passengers who did not have passports were well...left on their own. My first thought was how did they get there without passports...alas I guess San Juan is a US territory and perhaps you don't need a passport to fly...

I'm interested to hear the "rest" of the story. SURELY...someone will post something upon the conclusion of the cruise. :confused:

If you are a U.S. citizen you do not need a passport to fly into Puerto Rico.

San Juan, PR is not a different country. PR is a US territory. My cell phone has always worked there without a problem and without extra charges. I can remember using my cell phone there over 10 years ago.

I have used my cellphone in San Juan also without incurring extra charges, and also St.Thomas.

No way of notifying everyone? With the amount of media to contact people today that's no excuse. I had a flight cancelled on Sunday and jetBlue e mailed me, and left a voicemail on my cell phone 2 hours before the flight.

No excuse imo.

One of the biggest cell providers, Verizon, does not exist in PR.

While I am not a 'seasoned' cruiser I read alot of posts on these boards, and on the RCCL site BEFORE booking my cruise. Once I realized that so many misshaps can/might happen I decided, even though it was just a spring cruise, to fly in a day early. I am sitting here wondering...with the knowledge that many of the people had ie (Hurricane Irene a-coming) ...how many of them actually tried to come in a day or two early or just decided to 'chance it'? Not blaming them...just stating a fact...if they were in the air around 5pm (many but perhaps not all of them) 1. they were taking a chance flying in so late REGARDLESS of the weather 2. they had little regard for the weather and its capabilities. I also do feel RCCL should have tried harder to warn the passengers of their early departure...but on their behalf...not much one can do if they are flying, or have their cell phones turned off, and/or cell phone service many not be working because of the storm itself. Just my two cents worth :cool:

From Verizon's website-

Most of Puerto Rico is included in the Nationwide and America’s Choice Coverage Areas. If you roam out of the Nationwide or America’s Choice coverage area, you will be charged $.69 per minute. Please use your device's banner as an indicator of your roaming status. Click here to view the approximate coverage areas

http://b2b.vzw.com/international/Roaming/Caribbean/Puerto%20Rico.html#maps

The cruiseline only offers airfares to people in the USA, and we know that a large proportion of passengers are not from the USA so it doesnt make sense to me. And in any event, that wouldnt have helped here.

I'm in the UK and have previously bought flights through RCCL......

Just hoping those stranded are able to make alternative arrangements to either return home or get to meet the ship further along. I'm sure the RCCL PR machine will kick in.

From Verizon's website-

Most of Puerto Rico is included in the Nationwide and America’s Choice Coverage Areas. If you roam out of the Nationwide or America’s Choice coverage area, you will be charged $.69 per minute. Please use your device's banner as an indicator of your roaming status. Click here to view the approximate coverage areas

http://b2b.vzw.com/international/Roaming/Caribbean/Puerto%20Rico.html#maps

Not sure how that works because my entire company has a Verizon contract. Our San Juan office had to break from our contract and go with Sprint because Verizon could not provide them service in SJ.

Edit - I believe they use another's towers in PR, hence the spotty coverage.

Sounds like Carnival was much more proactive and thinking of their clients welfare and they had twice as many to deal with. Having been in SJ I can't imagine how there couldn't have been some notice - assuming most of the "already arriveds" were hanging out closer to the peer could they not have at least used those really loud horns they have on board. Repeatedly setting those things off in a repetative pattern would have gotten most people's attention if they were within ear shot which in turn would have raised some questions and maybe far fewer would have been stranded. While travel insurance might compensate some of these people what if this had not been an embarkation port and hundreds of people were off seeing the sights - most insurance doesn't cover for missed connection in a closed port of call as you are already "at the port" as it were. How would that be handled? - "sorry you're on the other side of the island wearing nothing but a bathing suit and Tshirt and shorts with a days worth of meds, just enough spending money to get you by in case you get robbed and no passport as it's not required and is safer in your room safe, but we gotta go now so have a nice day"??

Carnival could not fly the people who did not have a passport to the next port because a passport was required to fly out of US territory. San Juan is an American territory or something like that so no passport required for there. Barbados is not US so one needs a passport to fly there. But Carnival did the best job of all the cruiselines I've heard about so far! Another reason to have a passport.

We have Sprint and coverage has always been great in San Juan.

They will use other towers and you will be charged roaming fees which will likely add up to 1 or 2 minutes of time.

Your company changed providers so they don't have to pay these roaming charges.

There is no excuse for not notifying people.

Huh? I was in several parts of the greater San Juan area for a business trip about 18 months ago, and was able to use my Verizon cell phone with no problem and with no roaming charges the entire time. That goes for both voice, text, and data. The signal and connections were clear and fast.

They will use other towers and you will be charged roaming fees which will likely add up to 1 or 2 minutes of time.

Your company changed providers so they don't have to pay these roaming charges.

There is no excuse for not notifying people.

This is not true. I use Verizon and had no roaming charges, extra minutes, or anything else for the two days I was in the greater San Juan area last year.

I've always had Verizon and my phone has worked in San Juan both times I cruised from there. It also worked in St. Thomas. They might not exist but the service does work there. And I did have to pay roaming charges.

I've always had Verizon and my phone has worked in San Juan both times I cruised from there. It also worked in St. Thomas. They might not exist but the service does work there. And I did have to pay roaming charges.

You are correct. Re-thinking my first statement and recalling why we don't use them there....I have to re-cant. We need the service island-wide for what we do.

I am in the UK and unfortunately do not know fully when the hurricane season is. From what I have read there is a core section but the outside edges tend to blur.

I am booked on an Azamara cruise out of SJ at the end of October flying in on a flight booked through Azamara the day before and all transfers included. So in the event of a hurricane we should be ok.

However, what it has made me realise is that it is far better to book Azamara excursions than go independent. The alternative being left high, dry (possibly not!) and not very handsome. The potential saving just not being worth it.

I do think at the moment the RCCI PR machine is shooting itself in the foot and I expect their current thoughts to change.

Regards

Geoffrey

Archived