NCL Spirit, Drydock wonder..

radzer0

I know what the sun got in drydock.

The thing I was wondering though noticing what the other ships have been getting. Are they going to start replacing the TVs in balcony rooms to flat panels? And im not saying about huge ones. Just saying like 22inch or something around that. I know there trying to cut costs on HVAC and moving the ship power consumption. I know that if they went with new LCD tvs it would save power too and I would immagine the old tvs arent all working anymore.

Anybody got any ideas? Or anything that may be different in spirit drydock vs the sun. Being its moving to europe next year id assume there going to do a bit more to it.

The Spirit drydock has had a number of threads. Search for them.

Keep an eye out on the NCL website. Scroll to the bottom of the homepage and check the media stuff. You will see a release there as she gets finished mentioning all the work done.

I am sailing on the first cruise after she gets out of drydock, and have promised to post a review with pictures.

I know that it is stating the obvious, but dry docks are typically undertaken so that extensive work can be done on a ship that could not normally be performed otherwise. Needless to say, it is very costly to just have a ship in a dry dock.

That said, I don't that a cruise line would have to take a ship out of the water and put it on blocks in a specialized dock to replace television sets. You could easily replace tvs during the course of normal operations.

Maybe, but if the signal is still analog, you'd have to run digital to new flat panel sets. That would require drydock. You want to do as little maintainance with pax aboard as possible.

My flat panel TVs are all "cable ready", including the one I just bought a few weeks ago. This is all that would be needed since it's basically the same thing that hotels and cruise ships send to guest rooms. No dry dock needed.

The signal is still analog on the Spirit. So the signal source is going to be upgraded. You can have your bill on the tv, better quality, etc. Don't want to be bringing hundreds of tv's on to change during the time to clean and prepare for the next cruise.

This seems obvious. What until you plan to do a refurbish, and do it all at once. There is just too little you can do during the Sunday window.

Maybe, but if the signal is still analog, you'd have to run digital to new flat panel sets. That would require drydock. You want to do as little maintainance with pax aboard as possible.

Your words: "That would require drydock"

PLEASE let me know exactly what part of changing out the TV...or any of the associated equipment REQUIRES the ship to be taken out of the water.

Turning a signal from analog to digital requires both new equipment at the transmission point (the point where the signal come into the ship) and throughout the routing to maintain the integrity of the signal (to prevent signal decay, loss, or, most likely on a ship, interference.).

Most ships use new shielding and wiring for this transmission, as well as to add two-way capability that may not be there now. (Coaxial to fiber-optic being one example of the desired conversion.).

School is now out...

School is now out...

School is out? lol

Nobody asked you to cut and paste information on television signal transmission from wikipedia.

The question...which you keep dodging...is a simple one: Why do they have to take the ship OUT OF THE WATER to install new television sets?

You said this was REQUIRED, please just explain why.

Dry docking is done for many reasons, first and foremost is the cleaning and inspection of the hull and props. Second is performing cabin and deck referbishments - including paint, carpets, TVs etc. It is far cheaper to take care of all of this at the same time minimizing the amout of time the ship is out of service earning zero revenue. I know that some dry dockings are unscheduled and therefore usually limited to the necessary repairs - I have seen this more with Azipod problems than anything else.

The series of three ships in drydock this year are all getting similar work done. In addition to the major work that is required, engines, bottom paint etc. they have been replacing the old crt tv's with flatscreens as they are more energy efficient. It is all part of the package.

While it's true they could replace the TVs during a cruise, an extra group of technicians would be required to do it, and they'll have to live somewhere aboard the ship, possibly using potential cabins needed for revenues.

There's 2,000 cabins aboard the Spirit, and the Spirit is NCL's smallest ship.

Assuming a team averages 30 minutes to remove the old and install a new TV, including unpackaging the boxes and moving them around the ship, and storing them somewhere out of the way, it'll take 1,000 hours to do all. At 24 hours per day, it'll take one team over 41 days. More teams can shorten that time required. Two teams will take 20 days, three teams will take 15 days, four teams will take 7 days. That's four teams working 24 hours around the clock. Assuming two shifts that's eight teams, assuming three shifts that's twelve teams.

I guessed the time it takes to swap out a TV, it could be longer or shorter in reality. The existing TVs are bolted in place, the new TVs will have to be too. It takes time to unbolt and bolt them down. They will probably have to exchange the brace/supports too. Don't forget, getting permission to enter a cabin on a cruise to do this work will also cause delays, not including the time wasted with chit-chat passengers will take. I think 30 minutes is a good guess. It'll be quicker, easier, and more efficient for the TV technicians to do all this with no passengers onboard.

I would also like to suggest that NCL doesn't buy and own the TVs in the first place. Like most hotels and motels around the world, they probably hire a company to provide this service. TVs are swapped at regular intervals - depending upon the service life of the TVs, and the contract's length. Replacing all the TVs on a ship requires a logistical plan, not something done at a moments notice. Doing so during a scheduled drydock is where and when additional manpower is available.

Technically you are right that changing the TV system would not require a true dry dock and could simply be done with the ship in the water. The point is that usually major work is saved and planned for during the ship's routine dry dock time.

Maybe I'm weird but aside from looking a bit dated the TV's aren't an issue. I'm on the 1st cruise after the drydock as well and I'm sure there will be something better to look forward to than TV!

Right there with you. ;)

Been on the Spirit 3 times this year and probably going to hop on again in the next couple of weeks.

Have never even turned the TV on.

DS thinks that TV's are on the list to be done during drydock but is not sure as he is still on vacation and will be back the week before the Spirit enters drydock. Changing out the TV's is best done during drydock as that way they don't have to disturb the guests by entering the staterooms while they are on their vacation. Not many people would enjoy having to wait for the tv installer! :D

• 1 month later...

Norwegian Spirit’s refurbishment includes:

• Installing wireless internet access throughout the entire ship including crew areas;
  • New flat screen televisions in guest and crew staterooms;
  • Upgrades to accessible guest staterooms and the addition of ramps in various areas of the ship;
  • Replacement of 64,000 square feet of carpet throughout the ship;
  • Addition of new silk plants throughout the ship;
  • Enhancements to the Stardust Theater;
  • Addition of an aerobics room in the Roman Spa and Fitness Center for spinning, yoga and various fitness classes;
  • Updates to Raffles Court, the ship’s buffet restaurant.

Mobile cant even get carnival to leave the fantasy there because its so close to new orleans. Spirit is moving to europe in april for good and the star is moving here. I dont see NCL doing anything with mobile because when the 2 new ships come out the spirit is going to be moving back to star. They gotta keep the "newest fleet" status all the companys fight for.

Norwegian Spirit’s refurbishment includes:

Installing wireless internet access throughout the entire ship including crew areas;

New flat screen televisions in guest and crew staterooms;

Upgrades to accessible guest staterooms and the addition of ramps in various areas of the ship;

Replacement of 64,000 square feet of carpet throughout the ship;

Addition of new silk plants throughout the ship;

Enhancements to the Stardust Theater;

Addition of an aerobics room in the Roman Spa and Fitness Center for spinning, yoga and various fitness classes;

Updates to Raffles Court, the ship’s buffet restaurant.

When the ship returns to New Orleans on October 9, 2011, she will sail a series of seven-day Western Caribbean itineraries departing every Sunday calling on Costa Maya and Cozumel, Mexico; Roatán, Bay Islands, Honduras and Belize City, Belize; along with two relaxing days at sea through April 8, 2012. The ship will then set off on a 13-day transatlantic cruise to Barcelona on April 15, 2012. She will arrive in Barcelona on April 28, 2012 where she will begin sailing 12-day Grand Mediterranean cruises alternating from Barcelona and Venice through October 13, 2012. Beginning on November 6, 2012, Norwegian Spirit will sail nine-day Canary Islands cruises from Barcelona through April 8, 2013.

Mobile cant even get carnival to leave the fantasy there because its so close to new orleans. Spirit is moving to europe in april for good and the star is moving here. I dont see NCL doing anything with mobile because when the 2 new ships come out the spirit is going to be moving back to star. They gotta keep the "newest fleet" status all the companys fight for.

Carnival Fantasy has been sailing from Charleston SC for nearly a year.

I know. It was only there for one season right? It didnt do good there even with its sub-$200 4day cruises. I dont see why they would give them another chance after seeing that one

Are you talking about Mobile? Carnival has sailed out of Mobile since 2004. They've had Holiday, Fantasy and Elation in Mobile. They consistently sailed at over 100% capacity. Carnival says they are pulling out because of the new clean fuel regs. I think they had a falling out with the city. Who knows?

I sent DS an e-mail tonight with a news article attached. His reply was for me to send it to him in 2 weeks when he would have time to read it. I think he's a little busy. They only have 2 more days to get it all wrapped up and ready for guests.

I sent DS an e-mail tonight with a news article attached. His reply was for me to send it to him in 2 weeks when he would have time to read it. I think he's a little busy. They only have 2 more days to get it all wrapped up and ready for guests.

Crew Mom,

Someone on our Oct 23rd Roll Call wants to know who our captain will be for our cruise. Do you know who the captain will be?

Can't believe that my cruise is only about 16 days away. I bet they are really busy trying to make the ship ready of those Oct 9th cruisers. Will watch the port of N.O webcam on Sunday to see if she gets to N.O okay.

Give my best regards to your son and to the other crew members on the spirit.

Archived