Packing for Med Cruise

somogirl

Hello Somogirl ~

We are also sailing at that time on Ruby Princess. On our roll call this has been discussed so you might want to look at that too. The consensus seems to be that it may be cooler in the northern ports and possibly as warm as mid-70's on the Greek Isles. This website gives the history on the same dates for the past years: www.americanexpressweather.com.

One of the tour guides in Athens that I have communicated with said that their weather has been very unpredictable these past few years. We just hope it's not raining! Other than that, many agreed that packing both long and short pants as well as layers on top is the best.

Hope that helps you!

Elaine

I have been on a Med cruise during this time the past 2 years, and will be again this year. 2 years ago, Venice to Istanbul--warm and sunny every day. Wore shorts or capris every day. Took rain jacket but never needed it.

Last year, Monte Carlo to Rome--warm and sunny every day of the cruise until we disembarked in Rome. Wore shorts or capris every day. Turned cold the day of disembarkation and was quite rainy that day so glad I had the rain jacket and one pair of jeans.

I am hoping for good weather again this year.

We cruised this area in early October last year and it was not very warm, certainly not swimming weather. Some days were sunny, some overcast and some wet. I think we were unlucky, and you may well get good weather. However, it is clearly not guaranteed, so I recommend you go prepared for all eventualities clotheswise.

Our cruise takes place the end of Sept. and into Oct. We depart Venice and end in Rome. Any suggestions as to what to pack for day clothes on the Greek Islands, will it still be warm enough for shorts?

Have been there multiple times during this timeframe.

Venice can be quite warm but also chilly. One time I was there for three days in Venice and the first day was quite chilly and we needed a sweater and light jacket and long pants, next day not as chilly and by the third day we were in shorts. Rome should be fairly warm then but like Venice could have rain. Greek Islands will be warm so shorts will be fine.

So, be sure to bring sweater or sweat shirt and light jacket and umbrellas while also bringing items such as shorts and short sleeve tops for greece ports.

It's a great time to visit these places versus the summer when it is quite hot and humid and very crowded.

Keith

We did a Med cruise that went to Greek islands, Athens, Turkey,and parts of Italy the second half of Nov. 2009. We wore shorts and Tshirts every day. We had also packed for cooler weather but didn't need those clothes. Lots of people on the ship had not brought any shorts/Tshirts and wished they had.

Agree on being prepared for BOTH cooler and warmer. You might get it all, in the same day. For weather in each port for a specific day, you can also check

http://www.wunderground.com

Rome and Venice are both super wonderful. We were there in June and below from my blog/live posting, you can see lots of pictures and details on these two great cities and others in the area. Will have you added time for both great cities before and at the end of your cruise? Below are a few visuals to get you excited about your upcoming adventure.

You can check out my earlier post on “Athens Tips, Suggestions, Examples to Enjoy!” for many details, ideas and interesting visuals on this great city. Lots of ideas here from me and others experienced with Athens.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1101008

Check out this posting that I did with many, many pictures on Venice: Loving It & Why??!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226&highlight=venice

Also, here's a good resource, Venice Tourism Office:

http://www.turismovenezia.it/venezia/eng/default.asp?lingua=en

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Recently back from a June 7-19 Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 36,717 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

This picture shows San Giorgio Maggiore, a 16th century Benedictine church built between 1566 and 1610. The gondolas are docked in the foreground in the main part of Venice. There were eight to ten thousand gondolas during the 17th and 18th century with only about four hundred in active service today.:

VeniceGondBldgsDistnance.jpg

This Venice picture gives a sample of different roof designs/decorations, the church dome and the famed Campanile. This bell tower of St Mark's Basilica is 323 feet tall and is a plain brick square shaft, 39 feet wide on each side. This tower reached its present form in 1514, but was reconstructed in 1912 after the 1902 collapse.:

VeniceArchitectureHighlights.jpg

On Acropolis hill with our very knowledgeable private guide who helps us appreciate all of the history and architectural details there:

OnAcrop.jpg

Some of the interesting architectural details on the upper levels of the Parthenon:

Acrop.jpg

Trevi Fountain might be Rome’s most celebrated fountain and one of world’s most famous. It took about 30 years to build (from 1732 to 1762) and depicts Neptune, the god of the sea. Visitors toss coins into the water in hopes to guarantee a return to Rome. It is the largest Baroque fountain in Rome and at a terminal point for one of Rome's ancient aqueducts. It was designed by Nicola Salvi, with influences from Bernini. This fountain famously appears in the films Roman Holiday, La Dolce Vita, etc. The fountain sits below street level and surrounded by large buildings. It is 85’ wide by 66’ high.:

RomeTreviFountainFront.jpg

The ruins of the Roman Forum offer a glimpse for what was the social and political center of Imperial Rome. There is a large collection of remains from temples to Roman gods, public baths, imperial arches, basilicas, the Roman senate, where Caesar’s funeral happened, etc.:

RomeImperialForum-1.jpg

We waiting very warm next 2 months in Greece... maybe over 90F! Normally, the weather is very good until mid of October (clear skies and temperatures between 75-85F for day and 65-75F for nights).

Anapli,we all know that no one can predict the weather,but we will be in Greece

early November,we will be in Volos November the 7th. will be visiting the Madeira Monasteries. Is it usually windy up there? If it rains,is a sweater with raincoat sufficient?Please advise,our first time in Greece.Thanks!:)

Hello Somogirl ~

We are also sailing at that time on Ruby Princess. On our roll call this has been discussed so you might want to look at that too. The consensus seems to be that it may be cooler in the northern ports and possibly as warm as mid-70's on the Greek Isles. This website gives the history on the same dates for the past years: www.americanexpressweather.com.

One of the tour guides in Athens that I have communicated with said that their weather has been very unpredictable these past few years. We just hope it's not raining! Other than that, many agreed that packing both long and short pants as well as layers on top is the best.

Hope that helps you!

Elaine

Thank you for posting the link for weather info, it is very helpful!

Terry. Once again, beautiful pictures. Thanks. Larry

Appreciate, Larry, the kind comments on the pictures. I'll tell me wife that I got great reviews from "HOLLYWOOD". I won't tell her it's from Florida. Just saying Hollywood sounds cool. On the original question, layering and flexibility will be key. Lots of various things can and will happen in this part of the world at these times.

Recently back from a June 7-19 Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 36,929 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Agree on being prepared for BOTH cooler and warmer. You might get it all, in the same day. For weather in each port for a specific day, you can also check

www.wunderground.com

Rome and Venice are both super wonderful. We were there in June and below from my blog/live posting, you can see lots of pictures and details on these two great cities and others in the area. Will have you added time for both great cities before and at the end of your cruise? Below are a few visuals to get you excited about your upcoming adventure.

You can check out my earlier post on “Athens Tips, Suggestions, Examples to Enjoy!” for many details, ideas and interesting visuals on this great city. Lots of ideas here from me and others experienced with Athens.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1101008

Check out this posting that I did with many, many pictures on Venice: Loving It & Why??!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226&highlight=venice

Also, here's a good resource, Venice Tourism Office:

http://www.turismovenezia.it/venezia/eng/default.asp?lingua=en

Recently back from a June 7-19 Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 36,717 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

This picture shows San Giorgio Maggiore, a 16th century Benedictine church built between 1566 and 1610. The gondolas are docked in the foreground in the main part of Venice. There were eight to ten thousand gondolas during the 17th and 18th century with only about four hundred in active service today.:

VeniceGondBldgsDistnance.jpg

This Venice picture gives a sample of different roof designs/decorations, the church dome and the famed Campanile. This bell tower of St Mark's Basilica is 323 feet tall and is a plain brick square shaft, 39 feet wide on each side. This tower reached its present form in 1514, but was reconstructed in 1912 after the 1902 collapse.:

VeniceArchitectureHighlights.jpg

On Acropolis hill with our very knowledgeable private guide who helps us appreciate all of the history and architectural details there:

OnAcrop.jpg

Some of the interesting architectural details on the upper levels of the Parthenon:

Acrop.jpg

Trevi Fountain might be Rome’s most celebrated fountain and one of world’s most famous. It took about 30 years to build (from 1732 to 1762) and depicts Neptune, the god of the sea. Visitors toss coins into the water in hopes to guarantee a return to Rome. It is the largest Baroque fountain in Rome and at a terminal point for one of Rome's ancient aqueducts. It was designed by Nicola Salvi, with influences from Bernini. This fountain famously appears in the films Roman Holiday, La Dolce Vita, etc. The fountain sits below street level and surrounded by large buildings. It is 85’ wide by 66’ high.:

RomeTreviFountainFront.jpg

The ruins of the Roman Forum offer a glimpse for what was the social and political center of Imperial Rome. There is a large collection of remains from temples to Roman gods, public baths, imperial arches, basilicas, the Roman senate, where Caesar’s funeral happened, etc.:

RomeImperialForum-1.jpg

THANKS for sharing the pictures! They were great!

Anapli,we all know that no one can predict the weather,but we will be in Greece

early November,we will be in Volos November the 7th. will be visiting the Madeira Monasteries. Is it usually windy up there? If it rains,is a sweater with raincoat sufficient?Please advise,our first time in Greece.Thanks!:)

Volos is a different place than Meteora and at winter's months usual have very different weather.. Volos has sea and Meteora has big mountains around.. Central Greece has many rains these months but Meteora in more cold than Volos.. if at Volos the temperature is 70 degrees at Meteora will be 60-65! (the summer at Meteora is warmed than Volos -until October- for example this moment Volos has 82F and Meteora has 90F!)

for last year history weather look this: http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=IU0398U02&month=11&day=7&year=2010 (Kalampaka is very close to Meteora)

Volos is a different place than Meteora and at winter's months usual have very different weather.. Volos has sea and Meteora has big mountains around.. Central Greece has many rains these months but Meteora in more cold than Volos.. if at Volos the temperature is 70 degrees at Meteora will be 60-65! (the summer at Meteora is warmed than Volos -until October- for example this moment Volos has 82F and Meteora has 90F!)

for last year history weather look this: http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=IU0398U02&month=11&day=7&year=2010 (Kalampaka is very close to Meteora)

Thank you Anapli,having a hard time as to what to pack in a 20kg. bag.:rolleyes:

Thank you Anapli,having a hard time as to what to pack in a 20kg. bag.:rolleyes:

the same problem I've before 3-4 years when I go a cruise to Caribbean. First I visit for some days my cousins at Chicago and next go to Miami for cruise. I pay over 150 dollars for luggages because these was overweight :p

the same problem I've before 3-4 years when I go a cruise to Caribbean. First I visit for some days my cousins at Chicago and next go to Miami for cruise. I pay over 150 dollars for luggages because these was overweight :p

Anapli, we have a 5 day pre-cruise in Venice,where family from Italy will join us to celebrate our anniversary, 12 day cruise and 4 days post cruise in Paris.

Aegean airline only allows 20 kg.:( or 15 euros for each extra kg.:eek: This is reason asking about weather. Must pack for all kinds of weather!:confused: Thanks:)

Archived