Just Booked the Victory...

Richjoxyz

For any of y'all cruising out of San Juan PR this weekend....

TD14-1.gif

Tropical Storm Maria, which formed Wednesday in the Atlantic

was disorganized and could be degenerating into a tropical wave, forecasters said.

However, even if it does become a tropical wave, regeneration is possible over the next day or two.

Tropical storm watches were issued for the islands of Antigua, Barbuda, Montserrat, Nevis, St. Kitts, St. Barthelemy,

St. Maarten/St. Martin, Guadeloupe, Martinique, Dominica, Saba and St. Eustatius,

with forecasters saying tropical storm conditions were possible within 48 hours.

"Interests elsewhere in the Leeward Islands, the Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico

should monitor the progress of Maria," the hurricane center said.

The center of Maria was about 605 miles east of the Windward Islands as 2 p.m. ET Thursday.

Its maximum sustained winds had weakened to 40 mph, with higher gusts, forecasters said.

The storm was speeding West at 22 mph.

"On the forecast track, the center of Maria will be near the Leeward Islands late Friday

and moving over the northeastern Caribbean Sea on Saturday," forecasters said.

"Tropical storm conditions are possible in the watch area Friday night or Saturday."

Tropical storm-force winds extended outward about 115 miles to the north and east of Maria's center.

I'm guessing Victory's visit to St.Kitts on Friday -and St.Maarten on Sat

are going to be cancelled?

St.Maarten almost definitely! St.Kitts maaaaybe... :(

Victory calls in at Barbados on Wednesdays.

If you're looking for a nice beach on the South Coast (with a 3/4 mile long coastal boardwalk right nearby)

look no further than Rockley Beach -also known as Accra to us locals.

BarK-071.jpg

There's a quiet beach bar up at the Eastern end..

Accra_blues.jpg

..gorgeous water color..

Accra-922.jpg

...did I mention gorgeous water color...?...

Accra-46.jpg

-with natural shade under the trees to be had, as well as chairs and umbrellas for rent..and snack shacks nearby too.

Thanks for the bee-you-tiful pictures, aplmac. We have to get through our Magic and Glory cruises first but I'm really anticipating the Victory cruise in 2013. Green is my favorite color so I'll be hanging out in the lobby more than I usually do. The ship looks really great for her age (or did you airbrush out the blemishes? LOL) We only cruises from San Juan one other time, in January, 2003 on the Inspiration. Back then, the islands visited were St. Thomas, Curacao, Aruba, St. Lucia, and darn, I can't remember the fifth!

CVictory-922.jpg

Can't get any higher than Sky Deck -this is where the waterslide starts

I think this is the small forward deck on the Port side of the ship, being referred to...

SunnyDay-383.jpg

It's on the way up to where the waterslide starts (Deck 12 if I remember right...you can see the wet tracks of Little Feet to the left

Deck10-324.jpg

-although the wiser ones chill out under the shade -they don't fry themselves too much..

Actually I was referring to the small area with about 6 loungers above the serenity area bar... The area on the other side ( picture 2) is also a good spot! Your pictures are great... we dont have many of the ship.

Hi agc291: My husband Mark and myself are taking the Southern Carribean cruise :pin February of 2013. We are sailing February 17-24!! We can hardly wait!! We went on our 1st cruise in February of this year on the Carnival Valor and had such a great time in the Western Carribean that we came home and booked our next one!! Maybe we will see you in 2013 on the Carnival Victory. :)

We cruise on the Victory this Sunday the 11th, that is once stupid Tropical Storm Maria gets out of the way....
Oh dear...I'm thinking that plan might be disrupted somehow.

although for your sake and thousands of other cruisers out of San Juan

(on Caribbean Princess maybe -and Adventure of the Seas...all of whom head out of San Juan on Sundays)

something happens that lessens the weather threat

TD14-1.gif

____ ___ ____ _______ ______ ____ ____

I took this shot below

Adventure-755.jpg

from Carnival Victory, when we boarded.

It shows Caribbean Princess and Adventure of the Seas docked across the San Juan harbor from us

1910850715_Mariatrack.jpg.a4fe3ac0d286422d75b653ebd39641fe.jpg

For those sailing Sun. Remember to get on board right away

because last storm the ships left early and left people stranded.

Carnival was the best in helping out stranded passenagers -but it would still suck to "miss the boat."

Ladies, get those old guys up and on board as soon as possible!

Everything I've read,

it seems to be always the old p**psters who are in no rush to get on the ship :D

Being one myself, I'm still trying to figure out the delay

coz my cruise starts as soon as I hear that magical first Boink! from the card-machine!

Destiny-3887.jpg

Here's DESTINY departing Barbados, back when she was on our leg of the Caribbean -Jan. 2008.

Who loves her, and why?

We've been on many cruise ships, of many different cruise lines, but never the Victory.

Our cruise is Oct 2nd Southern Caribbean, booked a balcony guaranty and waiting for room assignment.

joining this cruise in barbados on 5th oct hope to meet you and have a few drinks with you

We've been on Victory 3 or 4 times now

and have zero recollection of differing carpet colors, per Port/Starboard sides of the ship's corridors.

There are signson all corridors that indicate Odd Numbers on one side

and Even Numbers on the other --that you can look out for.

First Apalmac you always take some of the best, most colorful photos. I still have you booked marked for all the info you gave me for "Rockley""Accra" Beach area. Now I have never noticed the change in carpet colors--only I have noticed color changes in hallways between decks though. I like the cabin hallway carpet now so sure on the large pattern near elevators. Will reserve jusdgement until we sail her again in spring.

APlmac--what is March 11-18 weather like for this itinerary or islands? Wet? rough, warm?

We have only sailed south in April,June & July.

Great pictures:D I'm getting more excited with this cruise in March then RCCL LOS in Dec. I like that it is mostly port days and only one sea day. Won't mind if itinerary changed back to all port days as I hear it was a year or so ago. Keep the pictures coming.

We are on that cruise and did do the full port cruise in 2010--will miss Dominica, but it was a "really exhausting vacation" the old...I need a vacation after the vaction (cruise) applied.

This cruise we are trying to set time to relax! :D

and yes--Aplmac is correct those seahorses are knee high...or worse :eek:

I have the Sigma 10-20 wide-angle zoom (the model with the Nikon mount to fit my D60)

and a 10.5 mm. Nikkor fish-eye (you've noticed the curvature,by now in some extremely-wide shots..)

105mmfisheye.jpg

Both lenses are great for capturing the vast spaces on cruise ships

and the wide open sea Out There! ;)

Spend your money on 'glass' (lenses!) rather than the camera body.

The lens takes the picture -the camera merely records the shot.

Thanks for the info! I was actually looking at the Sigma 10-20 for my Canon T1i....one lens at a time.

I am rusty on photography skills-- I know of 10-20mm lines -

question -are you using auto settings or manual, and say for ship photos at night --like the lovely photo of the Victory--what kind of settings are needed? Do you need a tripod, or does 10-20 F stop go low enough without getting grainy. I am considering a "self" gift of a whole new SLR camera and yes I know from waaaaay back glass lens with protective filer covers.

Anyone? I may post on photo board too.

Hi agc291: My husband Mark and myself are taking the Southern Carribean cruise :pin February of 2013. We are sailing February 17-24!! We can hardly wait!! We went on our 1st cruise in February of this year on the Carnival Valor and had such a great time in the Western Carribean that we came home and booked our next one!! Maybe we will see you in 2013 on the Carnival Victory. :)

Maybe! We are looking at dates now, but probably wont book until next fall :( Hope you have an amazing time!

APlmac--what is March 11-18 weather like for this itinerary or islands? Wet? rough, warm?

We have only sailed south in April,June & July.

In these Southern/Eastern Caribbean islands, March is usually well into dry Season with few brief showers if at all.

Fair weather generally. Good sailing.

The key word here is usually, since the planet's now-dodgy weather has recently become unpredictable

but Dry Season starts Jan and runs til June,

- then the rains set in, July to Nov. during Hurricane Season.

Archived