Just Booked the Victory...

Richjoxyz

I am rusty on photography skills-- I know of 10-20mm lines -

question -are you using auto settings or manual, and say for ship photos at night --like the lovely photo of the Victory--what kind of settings are needed? Do you need a tripod, or does 10-20 F stop go low enough without getting grainy. I am considering a "self" gift of a whole new SLR camera and yes I know from waaaaay back glass lens with protective filer covers.

Anyone? I may post on photo board too.

No tripod.

Green Automatic setting. Let the technology work. I'm not fiddling.

No flash (very rarely)

Wide-angle lenses have little magnification factor, so slooow shutter speeds are possibly, hand held

right down to 1/4 sec. once you brace yourself and pretend you're a tripod.

Thanks for the info! I was actually looking at the Sigma 10-20 for my Canon T1i....one lens at a time.
Don't get the bigger (even-heavier) 'fast' version of the Sigma 10-20

unless you have $650(Amazon.com) approx to spend. :confused:

get the slower version apertures F 4 to 5.6 throughout the zoom range.

It'll do much the same job for $395(Amazon.com)

http://www.amazon.com/Sigma-10-20mm-4-5-6-Digital-Cameras/dp/B0007U00X0/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1315877650&sr=1-1

In these Southern/Eastern Caribbean islands, March is usually well into dry Season with few brief showers if at all.

Fair weather generally. Good sailing.

The key word here is usually, since the planet's now-dodgy weather has recently become unpredictable

but Dry Season starts Jan and runs til June,

- then the rains set in, July to Nov. during Hurricane Season.

Thanks for summary!

• 1 month later...
Don't get the bigger (even-heavier) 'fast' version of the Sigma 10-20

unless you have $650(Amazon.com) approx to spend. :confused:

get the slower version apertures F 4 to 5.6 throughout the zoom range.

It'll do much the same job for $395(Amazon.com)

http://www.amazon.com/Sigma-10-20mm-4-5-6-Digital-Cameras/dp/B0007U00X0/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1315877650&sr=1-1

aplmac, your pictures are extraordinary!! Thank you for posting them! I've been following this thread with interest. We are sailing this Sunday :D

The water in Barbados is some of the most beautiful water you will ever see. Vanessa Calabaza Sailings is awesome. Say hi to Gina and the crew from my family and i. She and her crew are the best...food is so good and drinks strong and endless! Have a great cruise. (Bruce)

Will do! I am looking forward to this excursion, for the simple fact of it being such a small group. Same with Spencer Ambrose's tour in St. Lucia. We only had 10 people and it was WONDERFUL!!!

I see in one of the photos a black thing on the counter..is that a mini refrigerator? I was told the Victory does not have fridges>we are leaving in January 2012? So excited..would love to see pool pic's and the slide if you have some.

I see in one of the photos a black thing on the counter..is that a mini refrigerator? I was told the Victory does not have fridges>we are leaving in January 2012? So excited..would love to see pool pic's and the slide if you have some.

Our interior room did not have a fridge. Maybe balconies and suites do?

The black thing on the counter is the television

We just got back and 3 balcony rooms no fridges . :(

We just got back and 3 balcony rooms no fridges . :(

Just bring a foldable softsided lunch cooler and throw a very large ziploc in for ice -so it doesn't drip through seams of cooler. We used this as our fridge for soda/water. We did have a refrigerator and it was just okay for soda and maybe left over room service, but it really didn't "chill things" like a real refrigerator. It is more like a wine cooler IMO.

So we bring two soft sided lunch totes -one for cabin, another for pool or beach excursions, plus insulated travel bottles. So don't feel too bad it is missing refrigerator.

Yea I should have mentioned we always pack a small cooler like that and room guy kept it full I had bottled water and my wife had some sodas she had carried on. I even put a few beers in there from time totime If had an extra from a bucket. He even brought a beer bucket to the other rooms and kept it full the whole cruise so they had a place to put bottles to get them cold.

We will be three years removed from our Victory cruise next March 8. What a great time we had! Nice to see everyone taking in Aplmac's most excellent photos. That was a large part of building the anticipation for our cruise. Seven islands-seven days. Awesome!

Hope your cruise creates the same wonderful memories that we have. Rarely a day goes by that we don't talk about something from this cruise.

Happy Sailing!

I am so excited to read about Victory...I just booked for March 4th 2012. It will be my husband and daughters first cruise. I think all the ports sound amazing! I booked a Ocean View Suite.

I am so excited to read about Victory...I just booked for March 4th 2012. It will be my husband and daughters first cruise. I think all the ports sound amazing! I booked a Ocean View Suite.

Congrats--They will love it, only thing they won't like is getting off ship on last day. Warm up the Ocean Suite for us- we have one booked for the Sunday you get off- in fact loved it so much it is same suite we had in July 2010- 7312.

See my signature below for link to Victory cruise review-many photos and details to get you excited.

Hi agc291: My husband Mark and myself are taking the Southern Carribean cruise :pin February of 2013. We are sailing February 17-24!! We can hardly wait!! We went on our 1st cruise in February of this year on the Carnival Valor and had such a great time in the Western Carribean that we came home and booked our next one!! Maybe we will see you in 2013 on the Carnival Victory. :)

Hi Wildcat221, glad to see you still on here. We were on the same Valor Ship Together. I see you liked it so well you booked another? Told you this was addictive. My sister and I booked agian on the Destiny for Feb 2012. We are looking at the same cruise in Feb 2013 as well.

Keep in touch!

Gladys

Thanks for the kind words, Judy.

Our last cabin on Victory was 2314 -an interior cabin on Deck 2.

Can you say....Smooth ride :)

Cabin2314-594.jpg

My only complaint was the bare walls, sans pics!

I thought...Geez guys, at least hang some cheap tacky prints on that expanse of beige

Cabin2314-597.jpg

One picture hanging over the bed, where no-one particularly looks at it

doesn't make sense.

That picture could have been facing us as we lay in bed.

lmao.. i was thinking the same thing.. not sure if because i work for a motel or not.. but i did notice the bare expanse of wall and thought.. what? no pics? lol

Archived